Page 1 of 13 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: Need to lose belly fat!

OilSheikh

Need to lose belly fat!

After months of unhealthy lunches [ chicken wings, chicken n chips, chicken doner ], I find myself overweight i.e. with a belly and my waist has gone up by 2 inches.

I go to gym every Friday and gym out for an hour [ running, biking, the sit-and-lift weight machine, weights ] but it hasn't been helping me.

This is what I eat these days.

Breakfast - Corn flakes with half bowl of wholemilk and 2 teaspoons of sugar / Weekends - egg omlette with 1 x khobez

Lunch - Chicken biriyani or veg curry and 1 x khobez

Snack - Low fat mango ice cream OR 2 x small milk sponge cake [ You get in Iceland these days .. 8 in a pack for £1 ]

Dinner - Grilled small chicken finger strips x 4 sandwich with 2 pc bread & low fat mayo and cucumber and tomato and red onion.

Now, where should I cut down on food and what exercises should I do?

Please remember that as I am an Asian , a meagre sandwich won't fill my stomach and I'll end up eating 3!
    Last edited by OilSheikh; 12-04-2010 at 03:25 PM.

Welcome to stampytown! Salazaar's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Salazaar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asrock B450m Steel Legend
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5 3600
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 5700 XT

Re: Need to lose belly fat!

Cut out the sugar, mayo and snacks and drop to skimmed or semi-skimmed milk. If you must snack, eat salad or fruit.

Try upping your gym usage (or some good alternative) to three or four times a week.

I'm trying to make similar changes to my diet (and accompanying lifestyle) so I know how hard it is but stick at it!
    ____
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Thanks

Few things...

Two tbsp of sugar in your cornflakes?
    Low fat mango ice cream?
    Sponge cake?

Something is not right here, surely?

Its not about filling your stomack, its about eating reasonable portions..

Starving yourself once in a while its good!

Thanks
    • r_j_k_p's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte ga-ep35-ds3
      • CPU:
      • q6600 @ 3.6 Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 4gb (1066mhz)
      • Storage:
      • 2tb internal
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 4870x2
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX620
      • Case:
      • Antec p182
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 home premium (64 bit)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 2333SW @ 1080p
      • Internet:
      • 10mb virgin

As a fellow asian, and a fellow dagenham resident, i can emphasize with you!

I still haven't lost the love handles, but haven't really gone for it full throttle yet.

But from what i see, the roti, are just carbohydrates that really hinder weight loss, so maybe try substituting it with something else, or cutting it out altogether! If you do have them - NO GHEE!

Does cornflake really need extra sugar?... every little helps!

For your snack - cake is a big no no! try substituting with youghurt or low fat chocolate muesli bar instead.

Also try upping the gym work, maybe 2-3 times a week, for one hour, or maybe twice a week for 2 hours - focussing on cardio work such as running, cycling, rowing and cross trainers.

Hope it helps!
    Last edited by r_j_k_p; 12-04-2010 at 11:51 AM.
    Dentist, and general teeth lover.

HEXUS.social member Disturbedguy's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Disturbedguy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Rog Strix Z370-H Gaming
      • CPU:
      • i7 8700K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair something or other
      • Storage:
      • 1 x Samsung 960 EVO (250GB) 1 x Samsung 850 EVO (500GB)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 1080Ti
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate
      • Monitor(s):
      • 32inch Samsung TV
      • Internet:
      • Crap

As above really, although maybe instead of doing 2 - 3 1 hour sessions a week, try doing 2 - 3 30 minutes sessions? That way you are not killing yourself and the recovery time wont be that long either.

Me personally, a few months ago I cut out fizzy drinks of any kind, I dont add extra salt or sugar to anything I eat, have cut down on the crap I eat and my main drink is now water. I also do football once a week and gym once (although I keep picking up injuries that stop me doing anything for a bit, swollen/ sore ankle from being kicked during football. Badly bruised and very sore knee from falling on my knee, twice the first time I went ice skating") although I want to extend the gym to twice a week.

At the gym, I tend to stick to Cardio only as cardio is one of the better ways to lose weight, or so I have been told by my brother who has been there and done it and continues to do it. I try to vary from week to week though as I suffer with shin splints quite badly if I dont get enough rest. So week one it might be Football monday and gym Tuesday or Thursday with a cardio intensive work out that heavily affects my legs, I then spend until Monday the following week recovering enough to play football, but then on tuesday I work on stomach muscles instead at the gym.

When I go to the gym and use the running machine, I cant do flat out at one speed as the shin splints kick in and cause me some pain/ discomfort, so I have found what is best for me physically/ pain wise is running at a speed of about 7 or 8 for a few minutes then knock the speed right up to about 12 and go at that for 2 minutes, then back down again and keep going. I am physically unfit, I know it, but I have the stamina to keep goign which is why I do it.

I feel miles better for it and have started to look better, last time I checked I had lost half a stone which was a nice surprise.

Anyone ive talked enough really.
    Quote Originally Posted by TAKTAK View Post
    It didn't fall off, it merely became insufficient at it's purpose and got a bit droopy...

Thanks

I would change to semi skimmed milk with no sugar for the cornflakes, and cut out the snack (it just sounds like a big sugar boost not something to actually fill you up).

Switching the cornflakes for something wholegrain would also help keep you fuller for longer, meaning maybe you can cut down on the lunch a bit - if your serious about loosing weight you should never, ever, feel "full up".

And exercise obv - but dont fall down the pot hole of "ive done exercise, so i can eat more today" because thats obviously not going to help! Personally i find i eat less if i do more exercise
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Herr Doktor Oetker, ja!!! pollaxe's Avatar
    Thanks

As above really - cut down on fat and sugar. Try to aim for a balanced diet.

You can't spot train for fat, you have to lose weight all over, unfortunately. Toning your abdominals may help a bit and when you put on muscle from the gym then your metabolism will use more calories but I'd advise aerobic exercise overall - walking, swimming, cycling, rowing, cross-trainer (etc.) and running when you've lost weight. Try to do something every day (maybe take one day a week off) if you can, even if it's just 20 minutes of brisk walking during your lunch break. If you can get that up to 30-60 minutes a day then all the better (not always easy, I know.)

Regular, low-impact aerobic exercise will help most when you're trying to shift a few stubborn pounds. If you can find a buddy to train with then that also helps a lot for regular exercise. Good luck, keep us updated with how you're getting on!

Thanks
    • DeludedGuy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte H87M-HD3
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 4440
      • Memory:
      • 8GB DDR3 1800mhz
      • Storage:
      • 250GB Samsung 840 SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte R9 270 OC 2GB
      • PSU:
      • BeQuiet Pure Power L8 600w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ08-E
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Dell U2414H
      • Internet:
      • 75Mb BT Infinity

The easiest way is just to count your calories, and make sure you count them properly, e.g. drinks, dressings, snacks. If you really want to lose weight you have to make a sacrifice, keep your intake down to between 1500 and 2000 calories per day. This along with an hour of cardio exercise per day will result in good visible weight loss.

Try to do 30 mins of cardio exercise in the morning with 30 mins of gentle exercise in the afternoon, make sure you are eating plenty of chicken/turkey/fish in the afternoon, green apples for snacking.

I would love to tell you that you can eat as much chocolate and cake as you want but that wouldn’t work.

Most importantly, set yourself a target weight and weigh yourself every morning, I find this helps me to motivate myself; any few hundred grams I see vanish builds up my confidence and lets me know im doing something right.

My usual day:

0620 - Breakfast: small portion of Cheerios with semi skinned milk, 1/4 pint of water.
    0710 - 20 minute power cycle to work
    1000 - Green apple as a snack
    1200 - Fish/Chicken with Veg/Salad/Rice
    1500 - Snack, One piece of fruit
    1700 - 20 Minute power cycle home
    1830/1930 - Chicken/Fish with Potatoes/Rice/Pasta and Salad/Veg
    20:00 - 20 minutes gentle stretching with 10 minutes of weights in between (pull ups/push ups/weights)

I know its impossible for everyone to implement this into their daily routine, but it gives you an idea.

I am 24 years old, 84kgs in weight and 176cm in height, my target is to be a healthy, toned and defined 79kgs by August.

Thanks
    • b0redom's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Some iMac thingy
      • CPU:
      • 3.4Ghz Quad Core i7
      • Memory:
      • 24GB
      • Storage:
      • 3TB Fusion Drive
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nViidia GTX 680MX
      • PSU:
      • Some iMac thingy
      • Case:
      • Late 2012 pointlessly thin iMac enclosure
      • Operating System:
      • OSX 10.8 / Win 7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2713H
      • Internet:
      • Be+

Now the weather is getting a bit better perhaps consider cycling to work? I guess it helps if you have showers too! Unfortunately snacking after exercising is my downfall too, but I have a 16 mile commute each way, so I guess I can treat myself a bit!

OilSheikh

Made some changes.

-Meant teaspoons not tablespoons. LOL. Now, that would be to chweet!
    -I was looking for the proper word but couldn't at that mometn, so I used roti. I was looking for the word khobez.

-By sponge cake , I didn't mean the big fat cylindrical ones. You get 6 x small rectangle shaped ones for a £1 in Iceland.
    Last edited by OilSheikh; 12-04-2010 at 03:37 PM.

OilSheikh

Thanks for the replies everyone. Much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Salazaar View Post
    Cut out the sugar, mayo and snacks and drop to skimmed or semi-skimmed milk. If you must snack, eat salad or fruit.

Try upping your gym usage (or some good alternative) to three or four times a week.

I'm trying to make similar changes to my diet (and accompanying lifestyle) so I know how hard it is but stick at it!
    Tnx - will try to buy fruit to replace my current snacks.
    Skimmed or Semi-skimmed is just crap - tastes like water.

Quote Originally Posted by spoon_ View Post
    Few things...
    Low fat mango ice cream?
    8.8g fat per 100g

Quote Originally Posted by r_j_k_p View Post
    If you do have them - NO GHEE!

Also try upping the gym work, maybe 2-3 times a week, for one hour, or maybe twice a week for 2 hours - focussing on cardio work such as running, cycling, rowing and cross trainers.

Hope it helps!
    Yup, definitely don't eat any ghee.
    Rowing ... hmmm... might start doing that.

Quote Originally Posted by Disturbedguy View Post
    As above really, although maybe instead of doing 2 - 3 1 hour sessions a week, try doing 2 - 3 30 minutes sessions?
    Hmm.. sounds like a good idea. I too have leg issues like you, injured both my knees when I was 5.

Quote Originally Posted by DeludedGuy View Post

I am 24 years old, 84kgs in weight and 176cm in height, my target is to be a healthy, toned and defined 79kgs by August.
    I am 25, weigh 63kgs but height is 162.5cm. Target is 60kg. Some extra height would definitely help

Thanks
    • b0redom's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Some iMac thingy
      • CPU:
      • 3.4Ghz Quad Core i7
      • Memory:
      • 24GB
      • Storage:
      • 3TB Fusion Drive
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nViidia GTX 680MX
      • PSU:
      • Some iMac thingy
      • Case:
      • Late 2012 pointlessly thin iMac enclosure
      • Operating System:
      • OSX 10.8 / Win 7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2713H
      • Internet:
      • Be+

Low fat foods though, are generally high in sugar and/or salt. Check the calorific content of your ice-cream.

13. Received thanks from:

Thanks

Also high sugar foods will give you a short sharp rise in your blood sugar level which will then drop quickly where as a whole grain carbohydrate will give a slower and less high rise in blood sugar level but for longer meaning you will be full up longer for the same number of calories.

Don't bother working your abs - loads of abs work is only worth it when your down to the low teens body fat percentage and your trying to build abdominal definition - running and other weights will work the abs anyway and your body has to support itself somehow!

The abs are only a small muscle so you will waste time and energy doing sit ups or whatever when you should (along with CV) be doing stuff like squats which work the huge muscles in the legs and thus burn off more calories/ increase your short and long term metabolism. Upper body obviously needs working out to!

Another thing with work outs is to do the whole thing every time - sometimes a work out is going to be easier some times harder (depends on what you've been doing in the day) - but that's life!
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

15. Received thanks from:

Welcome to stampytown! Salazaar's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Salazaar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asrock B450m Steel Legend
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5 3600
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 5700 XT

Quote Originally Posted by b0redom View Post
    Low fat foods though, are generally high in sugar and/or salt. Check the calorific content of your ice-cream.
    That's what really annoys me about these adverts for so called healthy foods "now 98% fat free!!!111!oneoneone", as if that makes any difference when it's loaded with enough sugar to be treble your daily calorie intake anyway.
    ____
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Banned
    Thanks

I have lost 9Lbs in weight in 2 weeks just buy cutting out all the crap i was eating!! Really pleased. Now down to 15st 3Lbs at 6ft 2".

Banned
    Thanks
    • matty-hodgson's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit IP35 Dark Raider
      • CPU:
      • Q6600 @ 4GHz (59'C Under a TRUE Black)
      • Memory:
      • 4GB OCZ DDR2 890MHz (5-4-4-15)
      • Storage:
      • Intel 80GB - Games. Intel 80GB - OS. 1TB Samsung - Storage.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • NVIDIA Zotac GTX 275: 728 Core, 1614 Shader, 1340 Memory
      • PSU:
      • Enermax MODU82+ 625w
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung SM2343BW (2048x1152)
      • Internet:
      • Smallworld 4Mbps

I've just given the thread a quick skim, not really read anything in depth, so sorry if this has already been mentioned..

But have you thought about getting a mate to go with you? I always find it much easier at the gym if I have someone there to talk to, someone to motivate me and someone to "compete" with.. I am male, after all .

Also, like many have said, cut out unnecessary sugar! Unless you're on a very high calorie exercise plan you don't need that. Also, try not to drink fruit juices, although they may seem healthy, they're absolutely full of sugar.

Page 1 of 13 123411 ... LastLast

Thread Information