Thread: This year's Pain? ... Joy? ... Insanity?

Thanks
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 1x 8GB DDR4 2400
      • Storage:
      • 128GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

This year's Pain? ... Joy? ... Insanity?

As a few of you may remember, last year I tackled the Tour de Yorkshire ride and had an amazing time. Then in the summer I talked my partner into a gruelling few hours on some of the finest and toughest off-road tracks the Peak District has to offer (seemed only reasonable, since I live here ).

Well, we both had a fantastic time doing that, so this year I've signed us up again ... and added a few more rides to the list! It's put me at five organised events this year, so I'd really appreciate a bit of motivation from the incredibly supportive hexus massive and in return I'll drop in some details, pictures, and maybe even a few videos from my new action-cam (a Christmas present from my step-son, God love him ).

Here's the calendar:

February 4th: Evans RIDE IT Rochdale Road Sportive, medium route (50 miles) event page - event route
    May 5th: Tour de Yorkshire Ride, long route (80 miles) event page - event route
    July 7th: Evans RIDE IT Leeds 100, short route (38 miles) event page - event route
    August 17th: Evans RIDE IT Peak District MTB, short route (15 miles) event page - event route
    August 18th: Evans RIDE IT Peak District Road, medium route (55 miles) event page - event route not available

If you want to follow my training and how I do on the rides in more detail feel free to check out my strava page (and follow me if you want): https://www.strava.com/athletes/2527050

I generally post more pictures of my rides (including lots of bad selfies) on twitter and facebook - if you're really interested drop me a PM and I'll let you have my details for those sites. Fair warning though, I also often use social media to try to guilt people into sponsoring me for rides

If you fancy joining me for any of the above rides feel free to register and let me know, and we'll try to sort out meeting up at the start.
    Last edited by scaryjim; 09-01-2019 at 12:56 AM.

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Kingston HyperX SSD, Hitachi 1Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1060
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT01
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy

Re: This year's Pain? ... Joy? ... Insanity?

excercise, when succesfulyl achieved and goals are met, is addictive

that's some schedule... is it hittable ?
    https://ltw.media/
    Quote Originally Posted by Advice Trinity by Knoxville
    "The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |
    "If you don't gaffer it, it will gaffer you" | "Belt and braces"

Thanks
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 1x 8GB DDR4 2400
      • Storage:
      • 128GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

Re: This year's Pain? ... Joy? ... Insanity?

Quote Originally Posted by Zak33 View Post
    ... is it hittable ?
    Oh, totally - they're all well within my wheelhouse as far as biking goes. I'll be doing a lot more miles in total this year than I've listed here. I mean, my round trip commute is almost 28 miles

In fact, this year's TdY route is slightly less tough than the one I completed last year. The trick is going to be timings and segments. I'm a bit of a big lad for climbing hills, so ideally I'll be looking to lose a few more pounds before May, and then going for a couple of PRs on the hills, as well as having a couple of targets for both moving and elapsed times.

I was planning to get out for a training ride this afternoon, but we've got winds gusting up to not far off 50mph at the minute, so that one's on hold Going to have an indoor climbing session this evening instead.

EDIT:
    Just realised I didn't mention my other motivation for this lot: Charity! (mate ). Three of these rides will be sponsored for charities that are important to me and/or my family: The Yorkshire Cricket Foundation for the TdY ride; The Alzheimer's Society for the Leeds 100; and (as is becoming traditional) Glossop Mountain Rescue Team for the Peaks MTB. I'll be posting full details of that on facebook, twitter and probably Strava (in the descriptions of my training rides).
    Last edited by scaryjim; 13-01-2019 at 03:11 PM.

Thread Information