Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Learning to swim, any tips?

Spanked Member
    Thanks
    I don't have that problem, I'm a short-arse!!

The pool I go to is the size you would use in competitions (I think). it's deep enough. I just make sure Im near something (or someone) to grab.

Yeah I (try to)do the brest stroke, maybe my kicks arent timed well, but its true, every stroke I hardly move at all - my mate can swim up and down the length without any effort into it in the time it takes me to get 2/3rd of the way up. Then I just get think Im unnecessarily wasting my energy. . .

Thanks
    I might try some lessons.
    My problem is basically that I go along well enough and then at approx. 3/4 of a length I become insufficiently buoyant to keep my chin above the water and have to do dog paddle to get to safety - I never seem to remember to start from the deep end!

Thanks
    • listy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • gigabyte one :P
      • CPU:
      • 939 FX60
      • Memory:
      • 2gig DDR 400mhz ram
      • Storage:
      • 500ish gig
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 4870x2
      • PSU:
      • 700watt jeantech storm
      • Operating System:
      • XP Pro sp2
      • Monitor(s):
      • 19" crt random
      • Internet:
      • 8meg bt
    jump in and hope for the best

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ACiD303 View Post
    I don't have that problem, I'm a short-arse!!

The pool I go to is the size you would use in competitions (I think). it's deep enough. I just make sure Im near something (or someone) to grab.

Yeah I (try to)do the brest stroke, maybe my kicks arent timed well, but its true, every stroke I hardly move at all - my mate can swim up and down the length without any effort into it in the time it takes me to get 2/3rd of the way up. Then I just get think Im unnecessarily wasting my energy. . .
    I had trouble with speed on the breast stroke to begin with. I'm not sure what happened but one day it just clicked and my timing between arms and legs was spot on. Now I find I come up for air, head back in the water, arms outstretched infront, one big kick and I glide quite a long way before coming up again. So I use a lot less effort with less kicks to get to the other side. As opposed to when I started out, then it was a lot of frantic kicking trying to get to the other side.
    Another thing my swimming instructor did was add some leg specific exercises to my training program in the gym. I used to find my inner thigs would start to ache after half hour of swimming breast stroke. The abductor machine seems to have solved that!

Quote Originally Posted by snedger View Post
    I might try some lessons.
    My problem is basically that I go along well enough and then at approx. 3/4 of a length I become insufficiently buoyant to keep my chin above the water and have to do dog paddle to get to safety - I never seem to remember to start from the deep end!
    I'd recommend lessons m8. I was a complete none swimmer when I decided to take lessons and although I don't yet know many strokes I love just being able to swim lengths one after the other. It's a great way to warm down after a workout too.

Thanks
    I'm going to start lessons in November - cost £37 for 6.
    Should be just about ready for an xmas day swim in the sea!

Thanks
    Good to hear it! But if you master the front crawl before me I won't be a happy chappy!!

Spanked Member
    Thanks
    That sounds strangely familiar!

Excellent idea starting from the deep end.....profound! Im always paranoid that the lifeguards are keeping an eye on me when I'm "struggling" - trying to keep composure and at the same time going "errr....right, not going anywhere, Im getting tired and my feet cant touch the bottom.....where's my adrenaline?!"

Thanks
    *update*

I had a swimming lesson this morning and it was fab! Spent just about the entire hour focussing on front crawl and it's starting to come along nicely!

Thanks to some tips on here I decided to start out with the float, did a few lengths and seemed ok. It was clear that one leg was stronger than the other as I kept swimming to one side. Spent some time evening that up and once I was in a straight line I started to do one arm at a time. That didn't go so well, I didn't feel comfortable trying the arms whilst having the float as it was breaking the rhythm.

I decided to try it without the float from that point and it went quite well. To begin with my arms were only making small circles and I wasn't stretching them out enough. As a result I wasn't generating much momentum. I could tell what I was doing wrong though so a few more lengths practising and I began to get more comfortable with it.

Long stretch with the arms, generating all the momentum, head down and I was moving well! By holding my breath I can now do a full length of front crawl and it feels good. I'm starting to roll my shoulders more and the movement is a lot more fluent.

The only thing I can't do yet is come up for breath. Everytime I move my head to the side to take a breath it throws my whole rhythm and I come to a stop. I'm going to keep practising lengths by holding my breath and then ease the breathing into it slowly. Chuffed though, good progress today!

Banned
    Thanks
    good effort, it must be so wierd not just "being able" to swim, i dont know any differnt not being ignorant, but its good to see your making an effort, its deffo something you need to know in life lol, means that you can enjoy the sea a bit more ect.

Registered+
    Thanks
    I can't swim, but just curious, what's so fun about swim?

Thanks

Re: Learning to swim, any tips?

Hi all,

Please don't laugh i am starting swimming lessons 29th January and i am really nervous as i hope i have'nt left it to long as my age is 55. Any one else learn around that age? I would be grateful for any tips as my limbs are'nt as strong after surgery but i need some exercise and this is the one that would suit me best if i can do it.

missey.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • Wh@l3fish's system
      • Motherboard:
      • abit IP35
      • CPU:
      • Q9400
      • Memory:
      • 8GB PC2-6400
      • Storage:
      • 820GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX HD7850
      • PSU:
      • 520W Coolermaster
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster 690
      • Operating System:
      • Windows7
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flatron 22"
      • Internet:
      • 8Mb BT

My Gran learned to swim at age 60, and she was nervous too. She's still confident 15 years later!

Swimming is great because as the water helps to 'keep you up', you put less of a strain on your joints as other forms of exercise. It's good that you're having lessons, as the tuition should help give you confidence. I think my advice would be to relax and try and enjoy yourself!

It's good to be bad pauldarkside's Avatar
    Thanks
    • pauldarkside's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Maximus VI Hero
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7-4770K & Corsair Hydro H80i
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4x8GB) 1600MHz DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Corsair Force GS 128GB, Crucial M500 480GB, WD Black 4TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti Superclocked
      • PSU:
      • Corsair Professional HX850W
      • Case:
      • Corsair Graphite 780T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus ROG Swift PG278Q
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity @ 78Mbps

Quote Originally Posted by redflyingpig View Post
    I can't swim, but just curious, what's so fun about swim?
    Hot summer's day (yeah the do occur sometimes): After cycling to a beach, arrive, strip off and dive into the sea. Helps me feel alive.

Kayaking: I feel a whole lot safer going out knowing I can swim, so it adds to the enjoyment rather than not going out because I'd be too preoccupied with drowning. Helps me stay alive.

It's a free form of entertainment and great exercise to boot. I taught my sister how to swim, I took my nephew swimming as often as I could to get him started - he loved every minute of it and was so peeved when a session ended. It's such a shame it's not done through primary schools as much these days as it really helps to promote self confidence. I still can't help but be surprised when I come across people who can't swim - I guess I just take it for granted - just get over to your nearest leisure centre and book a course as it'll open up a whole new level of freedom
    Last edited by pauldarkside; 21-01-2008 at 01:20 AM.
    My only concern is should I hide my true identity? A costume maybe?

0iD: Plus weeing in it every now & again does it good
    scaryjim: 10" is just a little large to hold comfortably in one hand, which makes it a lot harder to tap, swipe and generally interact with.

Thanks

Thankyou for telling me about your gran, I hope i will be able to do the same, as it is now i don't enjoy going to the pool with the family as a spectator.

missey

Thanks
    • Lucio's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX-6350 with Cooler Master Seldon 240
      • Memory:
      • 2x4GB Corsair DDR3 Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • 128GB Toshiba, 2.5" SSD, 1TB WD Blue WD10EZEX, 500GB Seagate Baracuda 7200.11
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 270X 4GB
      • PSU:
      • 600W Silverstone Strider SST-ST60F
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF XB
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 64Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 2032BW, 1680 x 1050
      • Internet:
      • 16Mb Plusnet

If you've got a pool where you can do so safely, I always found backstroke a good way of practicing co-ordination of the movements because when you turn your head to the side, it doesn't go underwater, thus you can help keep any panic more easily under control.

Apart from that, everything Tiggerai said is really good advice.

Oh and I think the reason they taught breaststroke first is because it's the closest to a "natural" swiming stroke we humans have. Put a really young baby into the water (one that can't walk) and they'll do a mix of breaststroke and doggy paddle without thinking.

(\___/) (\___/) (\___/) (\___/) (\___/) (\___/) (\___/)
    (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=)
    (")_(") (")_(") (")_(") (")_(") (")_(") (")_(") (")_(")

This is bunny and friends. He is fed up waiting for everyone to help him out, and decided to help himself instead!

Don't feed the trolls... tiggerai's Avatar
    Thanks
    • tiggerai's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte MA770T-UD3P
      • CPU:
      • AMD PhenomII 955BE
      • Memory:
      • 4Gb Corsair XMS DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Lots
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire X1950XT
      • PSU:
      • Hiper Type-R 550w
      • Case:
      • Antec lovely black thing
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x 20" widescreen
      • Internet:
      • Pipexpants

Missey,

Welcome to hexus!

And congratulations on taking the plunge into swimming!

Please don't worry, there will always be other people in your position.

The best thing is to learn at your own pace, everyone finds different things difficult.
    Water confidence must come first, then being able to float (or at least keep a swimming position) then comes the hard stuff.
    I advise talking to your new teacher of any issues they may have, as they will make sure that these are addressed (if they are a decent enough teacher)

You won't be able to swim whole lengths or even widths at first, this is something to build up to.

If you have any queries or you're not sure about something, please feel free to PM me and I'll do my best to help.

Rai (ASA Swimming Teacher)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information