Thread: Another which SSD question

Registered+
    Thanks

Another which SSD question

So, I was fairly set on getting a 256gb Vertex 4 SSD but I do notice there are other (possibly equally as good) SSDs for a little bit less Samsung 840 for £30 less Crucial M4 for £20 - am I going to see the difference between any of these in real life or just when benchmarking? In which case should I just go for the cheapest? Or spend a little extra on the 840pro or OCZ vector?

Any personal expereinces with any of these drives I would love to hear

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: Another which SSD question

Real-world performance with any Sata3 (6gbps) SSD should be more than adequate, and varies little between decent brands. Price varies more, as does reliability/endurance, which was the first factor for me when I got a 256gb Samsung 830 (these have been endurance-tested for over 6pb of writes - yes that's 6+ petabytes or 6,000+ terabytes! At my current usage that should last me 1,000+ years!!). NAND endurance shouldn't be a problem with new SSDs (although the 840's TLC NAND has much lower endurance - I'd go for the 840 PRO) so reliability and price are the next major factors - I'm not ignoring performance, but it's not an issue for most enthusiasts/gamers, only benchmarkers.

Intel, Samsung and Crucial all have good records for reliability and compatability (OCZ less so, but they're getting better now they've moved away from Sandforce controllers). Ideally get a 5 year warranty, eg Intel 520, Samsung 840 PRO etc, and keep an eye out for bargains.

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DennisMenace View Post
    keep an eye out for bargains.
    I think this is going to be the deciding factor. Any bargains over the next couple of weeks will probably see me buying that drive.

Thanks your speedy reply.

Registered+
    Thanks

Rather than start a new thread, I will append my question here, as it is relevant!

Do members have any preference for Sandforce or Marvell controllers on mSATA SSD's?

I know there have been a few adverse comments about the former recently by I would hope that a BIOS update would help out that sort of thing... and they do appear to have faster access times also.

Thanks

personally I choose marvell - as do OCZ for the latest kit they sell (except the vector wich is now using the inhouse controller)

Registered+
    Thanks

Thanks, but OCZ are now showing their mSATA models as EOL (end of life), and don't seem to have a replacement for them yet.

I believe that Intel are using Sandforce in their latest 525 series, which aren't actually on sale yet, but have been sent out to quite a few reviewers with their NUC kits.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • RhinoUK's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P8Z68V PRO GEN3
      • CPU:
      • Intel 2500K @ 4.7
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb DDR3 4x4 Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C8 XMP Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • C Drive Plextor M5Pro 512Gb, Intel 520 120Gb RST on Barracuda 2TB drive & Barracuda 3TB Backup
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX680 2Gb OC @ 1254MHZ
      • PSU:
      • Jeantech Storm 700Watt Modular PSU
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake TaiChi Case, Water Cooled CPU only
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • IIyama 27" ProLite E2773HDS-B1 1920 x 1080p
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 100Mb

Intel use sandforce in the 520s as well without any issue but they do write the firmware themselves which might be why they dont have an issue when others have.

Thanks

Crucial i would go for.

Thread Information