Thread: Samsung SSD 840 Pro

Thanks

Samsung SSD 840 Pro

I would like to change my 320 HD Drive in my Sony Vaio VPCEB4J0E Laptop for a Samsung SSD 840 Pro 512GB. Would this SSD be compatible in this Laptop? At the same time I want to change the operating system from windows 7 to windows 8. This would mean doing a clean install rather than cloning the HD Drive. I have never done something like this before, so would I encounter any major problems that I should be aware of before I start? Another reason for doing a clean install is that I have loads of crap files on the laptop, so I would like to choose what software and files to re-install. Would this be a problem?

Thanks

Re: Samsung SSD 840 Pro

It is implied that you do not have much knowledge in computers, so do not panic!

1. The Samsung SSD 840 Pro is compatible with your laptop so do not hesitate to upgrade
    2. SSDs do NOT require the confusing and intense setup that a lot of people seem to suggest. The current day SSDs are much more reliable and literally all that is necessary is to change the SATA mode to AHCI in the BIOS/UEFI.

Here are some things which you should take into consideration before installing your OS:

-Make sure you have all your personal you want to keep data backed up, all the data on your OS drive will be deleted before installation.
    -Make sure you have all your drivers for your motherboard and other hardware, especially the network driver just in case Windows does not have the right one for your PC.
    -There may be compatibility issues with some of your programs so be aware.

NOTE: I would recommend to anyone who is migrating to SSD to keep their HDD and install the SSD/HDD in the Optical Drive bay. This allows higher storage capacity and also you have the choice to place irregular files in the HDD and save space. Also you can set it up so the PC doesn't have to service the HDD all the time, hence it wont hinder the performance, as if it were a portable HDD.

Par:AnoIA

Thread Information