Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying HDD: Scan vs OCUK

Thanks

Buying HDD: Scan vs OCUK

Hi,

I'm looking to get a 2TB internal hard drive as a backup drive.
    Scan has the sea gate Barracuda for £69 + free shipping with 1 one year warranty. OCUK had the same drive (although it says it had an updated platter system) for £72 + £8 shipping and also a 2 year warranty

Any ideas on what to do?

Account closed at user request
    Thanks
    • wasabi's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B85M-G43
      • CPU:
      • i3-4130
      • Memory:
      • 8 gig DDR3 Crucial Rendition 1333 - cheap!
      • Storage:
      • 128 gig Agility 3, 240GB Corsair Force 3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac GTX 750Ti
      • PSU:
      • Silver Power SP-S460FL
      • Case:
      • Lian Li T60 testbanch
      • Operating System:
      • Win7 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • First F301GD Live
      • Internet:
      • Virgin cable 100 meg

Re: Buying HDD: Scan vs OCUK

Would need links to exact products to be sure, but it could be one is OEM and the other is retail? Or slightly different revision... End of the day, is a year's warranty worth £11 to you?

Thanks
    I don't know really. It's just if I'd need it - which I know is a difficult question. But if I were to get it from Ebuyer, another year of extended warranty is about £15....It's also whether the OC one is updated with its "redesigned platter"...

EDIT: Links:

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/2tb-s...he-8ms-oem-ncq

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...odid=HD-255-SE

NB: The OC price of £72 is just for this week, so I assume it will be the normal £80 from tomorrow, which means I have 3 hours to decide what Im doing. £90 for 2TB is not a good price, especially considering a 3TB from Scan is around £93.

EDIT: is it safe to assume that, because the two drives have the same model number, they will be the same internally? If so, then it's just the extra year of warranty, and whether that is worth £10- especially for a backup drive (that wont be used often)
    Last edited by Mehta23; 24-03-2013 at 10:10 PM.

Thanks
    • Jasp's system
      • CPU:
      • i5 3570k @ 3.4GHZ
      • Memory:
      • 8GB DDR3 1600MHZ
      • Storage:
      • 1 x 512Gb Crucial MX100 1 x 2TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 670 SC
      • PSU:
      • 850W Corsair HX
      • Case:
      • Coolmaster Haf X V2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64-Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2412M 1920X1200
      • Internet:
      • 6Mb ADSL

Make sure you update the above drives firmware when you get them, got one myself and it used to be quite aggressive with parking the heads making audible clicks.

Thanks

Oh, I hadn't thought about drivers for a HDD..... Would I need one for my noisy WD Caviar Black too?

Just realised that Scan's Barracuda states it's the 14th Gen HDD. Nothing on the OC website though.

And I don't know whether to go for the OC just because of the added year of warranty either. I hate making decisions with pressure too !

Edit : took the plunge and got the OCUK 2TB. If it doesn't despatch tomorrow, I'll email scan and ask why their warranty is only one year. I'll also have to check the difference between the models if my one isn't a 7200.14
    Last edited by Mehta23; 25-03-2013 at 12:14 AM.

Thanks

Several of my Scan drives are 'Grey imports', so beware of that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    And by trying to force me to like small pants, they've alienated me.

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

Would you ever want to claim on the warranty?

A lot depends on the data you have stored on it and the failure mode.. If you have sensitive personal data on there, (in an un-encrypted form) and drive fails in a way that you can't be sure to securely erase it, would you want to send it away to a distributor/mfr for investigation or replacement?
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Thanks

I had a conversation with Scan in 2011 when they said they put oem HDDs in a plastic delivery bag without any protection. Not sure if they're still doing it now but it did put me off ordering a HDD from them.

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Top_gun View Post
    I had a conversation with Scan in 2011 when they said they put oem HDDs in a plastic delivery bag without any protection. Not sure if they're still doing it now but it did put me off ordering a HDD from them.
    When ordered with some other components, my OEM 2TB seagate came with a lot of bubblewrap around it, to suitable protect it during shipping.

I'd imagine they would have changed since 2011 as they would have got a lot of DOA's if they put them direct into a delivery bag.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    Several of my Scan drives are 'Grey imports', so beware of that.
    What's that? Would I have the same problem with overclockers?
    Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    Would you ever want to claim on the warranty?

A lot depends on the data you have stored on it and the failure mode.. If you have sensitive personal data on there, (in an un-encrypted form) and drive fails in a way that you can't be sure to securely erase it, would you want to send it away to a distributor/mfr for investigation or replacement?
    It'll be a backup of pictures, videos, game data and windows backups. I probably wouldn't want them to have my data though. But I guess I'd be happy with another drive than having to pay another £80 for a new one.

Thanks
    • Bonebreaker777's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI H97I AC
      • CPU:
      • Xeon 1225 v3 + Freezer 11 L
      • Memory:
      • 2 x 4GB 1600Mhz 1T-8-8-8-20 1.35V Crucial BallistiX Tactical VLP
      • Storage:
      • 128GB CRUCIAL MX100///XPEnology server + 3 x WD Purple 3TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Intel HD 4600
      • PSU:
      • be quiet! L8 300W PSU BN220
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master Elite 120
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung SyncMaster 226BW
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 100Mb

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy148 View Post
    When ordered with some other components, my OEM 2TB seagate came with a lot of bubblewrap around it, to suitable protect it during shipping.

I'd imagine they would have changed since 2011 as they would have got a lot of DOA's if they put them direct into a delivery bag.
    Ordered quite recently from Scan (3 x 2TB Seagate) and they arrived in a cardboard box stuffed with bubble wrap. Maybe they used a bigger box because of the quantity. Ask Scan to pack your HDD in a box?

Thanks
    Hard drive came today with lots and lots of bubble wrap. Says the dom is Jan '13 too.

When I get time, I'll set it up, backup my data from my current hdd and then wipe it for use with my ssd :-P

Thinking I'll store the backup drive outside my pc, but I done really want to spend the £15 for a 5.25 bay tray. I guess the best idea is to get a storage enclosure and then connect the sata cables from my pc whenever i need to use it. There's a spare slot for it underneath my hdd, but having the drive there permanently doesn't seem good due to restricted airflow and also it'll mean I'll have to tidy up my cable management rather than tucking my cables under the drive bay. or I could just rest it outside/in the 5.25 bays.

Or I could put the removable hard drive cage back in the case. Then there'll be enough space for an ssd and two hard drives. :-P Not sure on the effect that would have on airflow though.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy148 View Post
    They told me DOAs were low. Something I couldn't quite believe. Anyway I'd like to think my complaint changed Scan's behaviour on HDD packaging for the better.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • RhinoUK's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P8Z68V PRO GEN3
      • CPU:
      • Intel 2500K @ 4.7
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb DDR3 4x4 Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C8 XMP Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • C Drive Plextor M5Pro 512Gb, Intel 520 120Gb RST on Barracuda 2TB drive & Barracuda 3TB Backup
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX680 2Gb OC @ 1254MHZ
      • PSU:
      • Jeantech Storm 700Watt Modular PSU
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake TaiChi Case, Water Cooled CPU only
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • IIyama 27" ProLite E2773HDS-B1 1920 x 1080p
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 100Mb

Quote Originally Posted by Top_gun View Post
    They told me DOAs were low. Something I couldn't quite believe. Anyway I'd like to think my complaint changed Scan's behaviour on HDD packaging for the better.
    I can confirm i have bought 2 Seagate drives from Scan in the past 6 months and both arrived in antistatic bags, well wrapped in bubblewrap to about 3 to 4 inches of protection around the drive. Neither drive is faulty and works just fine and replaced 3 seagate drives i had for over 5 years. I thought the packaging was suitable to protect the drive and wasnt bothered about it arriving in a box or whatever else just that it worked, was free delivery and the lowest price on the web for both when compared to the same model elsewhere. Ive used OC in the past and havent had any issues with them but i find scan just lately to be the best priced for what ive been buying, especially with free next day delivery.

Thanks
    • Phage's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Crosshair VIII
      • CPU:
      • 3800x
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb @ 3600Mhz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 960 512Gb + 2Tb Samsung 860
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 1080ti
      • PSU:
      • BeQuiet 850w
      • Case:
      • Fractal Define 7
      • Operating System:
      • W10 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama GB3461WQSU-B1

Quote Originally Posted by RhinoUK View Post
    I can confirm i have bought 2 Seagate drives from Scan in the past 6 months and both arrived in antistatic bags, well wrapped in bubblewrap to about 3 to 4 inches of protection around the drive. Neither drive is faulty and works just fine and replaced 3 seagate drives i had for over 5 years. I thought the packaging was suitable to protect the drive and wasnt bothered about it arriving in a box or whatever else just that it worked, was free delivery and the lowest price on the web for both when compared to the same model elsewhere. Ive used OC in the past and havent had any issues with them but i find scan just lately to be the best priced for what ive been buying, especially with free next day delivery.
    All the HDDs I'v bought from Scan have arrived in footballs of bubble wrap. It took me some time with a pair of scissors to free the drive. I was certainly not concerned about any impacts !
    Society's to blame,
    Or possibly Atari.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Phage View Post
    All the HDDs I'v bought from Scan have arrived in footballs of bubble wrap. It took me some time with a pair of scissors to free the drive. I was certainly not concerned about any impacts !
    Same here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information