Thread: Think my HDD might beon the way out. Need a little help with setting up an SSD...

ZaO

Think my HDD might beon the way out. Need a little help with setting up an SSD...

I am a little suspicious that my system drive is on the way out. I'll figure it out properly at some point so that's no worry. But I was looking for an excuse to get an SSD anyway and this'll do for me

Now there are 2 things I wouldn't mind a hand with if you guys can help?

1. What is a good brand of SSD to go for and what should I avoid?

2. Also, my motherboard (http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P8Z...specifications) has 2x Intel SATA 6GB/s ports, and 2x Marvell SATA 6Gb/s ports right next to eachother. On the specs page it says this:

"Intel® Z68 chipset :
    2 x SATA 6Gb/s port(s), gray

4 x SATA 3Gb/s port(s), blue
    Support Raid 0, 1, 5, 10
    Support Intel® Smart Response Technology on 2nd generation Intel® Core™ processor family
    Marvell® PCIe SATA 6Gb/s controller : *3
    2 x SATA 6Gb/s port(s), navy blue

JMicron® JMB362 controller : *3
    1 x eSATA 3Gb/s port(s), red"

I've heard "PCI-E SSD's" mentioned before, but know nothing of them. I assume that for a regular SSD I just want to use the Intel connections, and the Marvell only for PCI-E SSD's? I know that's probably pretty obvious but I just wanna be sure! I mean, do these PCI-E SSD's even use SATA connectors like regular HDD's?

3. Another thing I've just thought about is that I have a Coolermaster Cosmos case which I bought back sometime around 2007/8 (so it's a different model to what you'll see advertised these days). Just wondering if an SSD will go straight in, or will I need some kind of adapter to fit it?

Thanks all
    Last edited by ZaO; 28-03-2013 at 03:17 PM.

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Re: Think my HDD might beon the way out. Need a little help with setting up an SSD...

PCIe SSDs are a card that plugs into a PCIe slot just like a graphics card. They are used when the SSD is way too fast for the SATA port to keep up with and you really need that speed.

So you can plug the SSD into any of those SATA ports.

ZaO

Re: Think my HDD might beon the way out. Need a little help with setting up an SSD...

Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    PCIe SSDs are a card that plugs into a PCIe slot just like a graphics card. They are used when the SSD is way too fast for the SATA port to keep up with and you really need that speed.

So you can plug the SSD into any of those SATA ports.
    Well if they don't use the SATA connectors and they're all for regular SSD drives, then I'm wondering which ones are going to be better - the Intel or Marvell ones? Thanks.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • RhinoUK's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P8Z68V PRO GEN3
      • CPU:
      • Intel 2500K @ 4.7
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb DDR3 4x4 Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C8 XMP Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • C Drive Plextor M5Pro 512Gb, Intel 520 120Gb RST on Barracuda 2TB drive & Barracuda 3TB Backup
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX680 2Gb OC @ 1254MHZ
      • PSU:
      • Jeantech Storm 700Watt Modular PSU
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake TaiChi Case, Water Cooled CPU only
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • IIyama 27" ProLite E2773HDS-B1 1920 x 1080p
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 100Mb

1. Intel is a good brand and i would look at a 120Gb for a C drive or if you can afford bigger go for it. Samsung get some good press on these forums as well.
    2. Yes for normal SSD use one of the intel 6Gb connectors.
    3. You will probably need a mounting kit or brackets to mount in any bay bigger than 2.5", if you buy OEM Intel 520, if you buy retail it comes with them. About £4 to £20 to buy on their own.

Do some searches on the forum for info on different SSD setups and sizes and decide which is best for you and your needs. Some people can manage on just a 60Gb drive for their operating system only and a few small apps some like me have OS, apps and a game or two on the 120Gb drive and then use normal HDD for other games and programs.
    You may want to plan ahead for future storage needs and performance improvements by setting up for intel Rapid storage Technology which your MB is capable of.
    I also use a small 60Gb drive in RST on a 2TB HDD for all my storage needs check out http://www.intel.co.uk/content/www/u...echnology.html
    for more info.
    Last edited by RhinoUK; 28-03-2013 at 03:41 PM.

ZaO

Quote Originally Posted by RhinoUK View Post
    1. Intel is a good brand and i would look at a 120Gb for a C drive or if you can afford bigger go for it. Samsung get some good press on these forums as well.
    2. Yes for normal SSD use one of the intel 6Gb connectors.
    3. You will probably need a mounting kit or brackets to mount in any bay bigger than 2.5", if you buy OEM Intel 520, if you buy retail it comes with them. About £4 to £20 to buy on their own.

Do some searches on the forum for info on different SSD setups and sizes and decide which is best for you and your needs. Some people can manage on just a 60Gb drive for their operating system only and a few small apps some like me have OS, apps and a game or two on the 120Gb drive and then use normal HDD for other games and programs.
    You may want to plan ahead for future storage needs and performance improvements by setting up for intel Rapid storage Technology which your MB is capable of.
    I also use a small 60Gb drive in RST on a 2TB HDD for all my storage needs check out http://www.intel.co.uk/content/www/u...echnology.html
    for more info.
    Yeh well I was hoping to get 200GB+ if I can. The only thing I'm seeing on scan with that amount of storage that I could afford is refurbished drives. I'm not sure how reliable they'll be so will probably avoid that...

Is there a reason for using the Intel connectors? Are they better than the Marvell ones somehow?

Thanks for the tip on the brackets. I think my hdd spaces in my case are all for regular old hdd's, given the age of it. I'll have to pull it open and have a look later to see if I'll need a bracket.

I do have the software installed and currently have a couple of mechanical hdd's on the go. But I've never really messed with that program. It didn't seem like I could really do anything with it last time I looked anyway. Going to have a proper read through that link though and see what I can learn

Thanks

Thanks
    • Willzzz's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte
      • CPU:
      • PSU:
      • FD Newton R3 600W
      • Case:
      • Corsair 350D

I don't think there is any difference between the SATA connectors, it's just a way to add extra SATA connectors beyond the base spec.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • RhinoUK's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P8Z68V PRO GEN3
      • CPU:
      • Intel 2500K @ 4.7
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • C Drive Plextor M5Pro 512Gb, Intel 520 120Gb RST on Barracuda 2TB drive & Barracuda 3TB Backup
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 100Mb

I would buy new and if Intel out of budget look at Samsung 830/840 and Crucial M4
    I have used both Intel and Marvell and not much in it to be honest apart from you have to enable the Marvell in Bios and then it posts for 2 to 5 secs slowing boot up. I would use Intel and if you look at and like RST you can only use that on the intel ones only.
    If your looking for an overall boost look at at 60Gb SSD on RST on one of your HDD's as a cost effective performance improvement step. If your HDD is failing though and its your system drive you will have to reinstall everything on new HDD first before enabling RST on the HDD with an SSD. You need to follow instructions on ASUS website as well for your MB depending on what BIOS version you are running.
    If i were you i would go with SSD 120 min as C drive as step one, put OS on and your fav game/app etc
    Save up for 2nd 60Gb SSD drive and RST one of your good HDD's for all other programs

ZaO

Quote Originally Posted by Willzzz View Post
    I don't think there is any difference between the SATA connectors, it's just a way to add extra SATA connectors beyond the base spec.
    Quote Originally Posted by RhinoUK View Post
    I would buy new and if Intel out of budget look at Samsung 830/840 and Crucial M4
    I have used both Intel and Marvell and not much in it to be honest apart from you have to enable the Marvell in Bios and then it posts for 2 to 5 secs slowing boot up. I would use Intel and if you look at and like RST you can only use that on the intel ones only.
    If your looking for an overall boost look at at 60Gb SSD on RST on one of your HDD's as a cost effective performance improvement step. If your HDD is failing though and its your system drive you will have to reinstall everything on new HDD first before enabling RST on the HDD with an SSD. You need to follow instructions on ASUS website as well for your MB depending on what BIOS version you are running.
    If i were you i would go with SSD 120 min as C drive as step one, put OS on and your fav game/app etc
    Save up for 2nd 60Gb SSD drive and RST one of your good HDD's for all other programs
    Cheers guys. I will just use the Intel ones then

I'm going to use this new SSD drive for everything - OS, Games, programs, music production, video editing/rendering. And I will keep my mech drive for media storage. As my second one is now. I just want to replace my mech system drive with an SSD. So I will get the biggest drive possible! I'm pushing the budget to £140 as it seems it's the only way I'm going to get a 240GB SSD, if I don't want refurbished. I'm more just concerned about any specific brands/models I should avoid...

The samsung drives in my price range that have over 200GB of storage have relevantly slow write speeds so I don't think I'll be going for one of them (unless IOPS is more important than write speed? they seem to have a high rating on that spec). Write speed is important as I am using a video editing program which renders changes to disk in real time. I'm gathering ideas of what drives I might buy right now so will post my suggestions soon and people can maybe let me know if I should avoid any of them.

I am intrigued about using a caching drive with RST though. I may purchase another smaller drive in future for this. But for now I will be happy with just replacing my mech system drive with one good SSD

Edit: Ok, I think I'm just gonna go for this as it has the best overall specs in the price/storage range: http://www.scan.co.uk/products/240gb...83000-iops-max

Unless you guys think something else will be better?
    Last edited by ZaO; 28-03-2013 at 05:05 PM.

Thanks
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:

OCZ have a bad reputation, as do anything with a Sandforce controller in it.

Having said that, I put a Sandforce based OCZ drive in the wife's laptop but then that is a second machine for her and doesn't hold any critical data.

ZaO

Having said that, I put a Sandforce based OCZ drive in the wife's laptop but then that is a second machine for her and doesn't hold any critical data.
    In what way do they have a bad reputation? HDD failure or performance? Thanks.

Edit: I've been reading around constantly since posting this thread. Starting to see some trends in what people do and don't recommend but not sure I have gathered quite enough info yet. I can tell that Intel, Crucial and Samsung are highly recommended. And that OCZ are something to avoid. I'm not sure about other brands though. I'll keep going and hopefully make a good decision soon as my eyes are starting to ache from staring at the screen so long haha @_@ But if you guys wanna just throw names out there that you know to be good or bad then feel free to share! Otherwise I'll just post back in a bit with what I've ordered...
    Last edited by ZaO; 28-03-2013 at 06:29 PM.

Thanks
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:

Quote Originally Posted by ZaO View Post
    In what way do they have a bad reputation? HDD failure or performance? Thanks.
    Bad rep is for failures, the performance is excellent.

ZaO

Bad rep is for failures, the performance is excellent.
    Yeh it seems that way from what I've read too. Cheers for the tip
    I'm still looking at stuff. I might have to drop down to a 128GB to get something with reputable quality by the looks of things. Still unsure about some brands though...

Edit: Alright it's decided guys. I'm going with a 128GB Samsung 840 Pro. I've been thinking more about expenses and I need to keep the price down a bit more like I originally intended. I didn't want to sacrifice on the quality of the drive though so I think this is the best choice of spec and quality. Thanks for the help
    Last edited by ZaO; 28-03-2013 at 08:16 PM.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • RhinoUK's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P8Z68V PRO GEN3
      • CPU:
      • Intel 2500K @ 4.7
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 100Mb

The Intel ones are fine, they do their own firmware for them so have avoided any bad rep and the problem with them was early models which i believe have been sorted out.

Thread Information