Thread: My new SSD... Underperforming?

ZaO

My new SSD... Underperforming?

Well I just got my new SSD today (128GB Samsung 840 Pro) with help from forum members here

But after running some tests today it seems like it's running a bit slower than it should be...

Here's the deal:

I have AHCI Enabled through the BIOS.
    I am using a 6GB/s Intel Connection with an Asus 6GB/s cable.
    I have allowed 11.90GB of Over Provisioning Space as recommended by Samsung Magician.
    My page File is a static 2GB.
    I ran a few tests with the Samsung Magician software (The software and HDD Firmware are up to date btw).
    I ran the Performance optimization inbetween each test (not sure I even needed to but did it anyway?).

Results:

Maximum Performance Preset:

Sequential Read (MB/s): 539

Sequential Write (MB/s): 385

Random Read (IOPS): 89937

Random Write (IOPS): 59093

Custom Settings (Same as Maximum Performance, but with Write-Cache Buffer Flushing enabled):

Sequential Read (MB/s): 529

Sequential Write (MB/s): 385

Random Read (IOPS): 72375

Random Write (IOPS): 59021

The second result was a bit slower on Random Read. I guess that's because of the setting I enabled. But the Maximum performance preset result is stall falling a little short on Random Read & Random Write. Much more so on Random Write.

Apparently this drive should be doing:

Sequential Read (MB/s): 530

Sequential Write (MB/s): 390

Random Read (IOPS): 97000

Random Write (IOPS): 90000

I tried the tests with both Intel 6GB/s connections on my motherboard and the results were basically the same. I also tried with one of the Marvell 6GB/s connections and it was way slower, so I obviously don't wanna be using them. I have all the latest drivers and software for my motherboard installed from the Asus support site. I also ran the Intel update utility. I'm not new to building and setting up computers or anything, but this is the first SSD I've used...

Does anyone have an ideas of what could be holding it back? My motherboard is decent so I would've thought it could deal with these speeds...

Thanks!

Thanks

Re: My new SSD... Underperforming?

The quoted figures are always best case scenarios. Given that you're 5MB/s under on write, you're well within normal operating deviations.

There is nothing wrong with your configuration
    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    And by trying to force me to like small pants, they've alienated me.

ZaO

Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    The quoted figures are always best case scenarios. Given that you're 5MB/s under on write, you're well within normal operating deviations.

There is nothing wrong with your configuration
    Well I thought that may be the case but it was just the way the IOPS were less than expected...

As I know Asus are terrible at keeping up to date drivers on their website, I went hunting for some newer Sata controller drivers. I found this page and installed the latest: ftp://driver.jmicron.com.tw/SATA_Controller/Windows/ The latest ones on the Asus site were from 2010!! I was a little hesitant to install them as they obviously weren't customized by Asus for my board. So I did a system restore n all then went for it. Ran the test again and got this result:

Sequential Read (MB/s): 541

Sequential Write (MB/s): 383

Random Read (IOPS): 95639

Random Write (IOPS): 75319

Much closer to what I was hoping for! I'm still a little bugged about not getting the maximum Random Write speed though. Must just be something about the rest of my setup. Cheers

Thanks
    • r_j_k_p's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte ga-ep35-ds3
      • CPU:
      • q6600 @ 3.6 Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 4gb (1066mhz)
      • Storage:
      • 2tb internal
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 4870x2
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX620
      • Case:
      • Antec p182
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 home premium (64 bit)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 2333SW @ 1080p
      • Internet:
      • 10mb virgin

exactly what above has said.
    enjoy the speed!
    Dentist, and general teeth lover.

5. Received thanks from:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ZaO View Post
    Much closer to what I was hoping for! I'm still a little bugged about not getting the maximum Random Write speed though. Must just be something about the rest of my setup. Cheers
    The maximum values are normally derived from assuming that everything is 100% efficient in the system, and the test scenario matches the perfect scenario for the drive.

To be fair, real world SSD values are reasonably close to what you get (compared to the complexities of spindle based HDDs and speed changes across the disk).

Keep in mind that you're unlikely to be hitting your maximum IOPS of the drive consistently anyway

7. Received thanks from:

ZaO

Yeh that's cool. I was sorta thinking this from the start but wanted to be sure it was normal otherwise this would've bugged me loads haha
    Thanks for your replies

ZaO

Ok, slightly off topic but didn't think there was much point starting a new thread. I need a free program that can synchronise specific folders on my Data drive with my Backup drive. So that whenever something changes in one of these selected folders on my data drive, the backup drive is updated to match it. The problem with finding a program for this is that I only want to do this with selected folders on my data drive, not the whole drive. I'm trying out random programs now but none of them seem capable of this, or at least I can't figure it out. Hope someone can help me out here? Thanks

Edit: Been reading about different backup types and I think it's incremental backup I need. Synchronisation would probably be ok too. I basically just have some media folders on my Data drive with photos, videos, music etc.... I just want those ones to be copied to the backup drive each time I change something about them, and not the other folders on that drive which have programs installed to them. So if my Data drive fails, I have all my media on my backup drive. Still looking and trying out progs so hopefully I'll find something good soon. But any suggestions are welcome

Edit 2: Nevermind. Found Cobian Backup which seems like it's alright
    Last edited by ZaO; 03-04-2013 at 03:13 PM.

Thanks

http://schinagl.priv.at/nt/hardlinks...kshellext.html

Smart Copy or Smart Mirror depending on what you want. Very lightweight and simple program

11. Received thanks from:

ZaO

Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    http://schinagl.priv.at/nt/hardlinks...kshellext.html

Smart Copy or Smart Mirror depending on what you want. Very lightweight and simple program
    Thanks man I will give that one a go also, but Cobian Backup looks to be doing ok so far

Thread Information