Thread: WD Passport software

Thanks

WD Passport software

Has anyone bothered installing the software that comes with WD Passport? I am weary of bloat and my habit so far as been to reformat the drive as soon as it arrives.

I still have a habit of manually backing up my data, as opposed to using applications for such purpose (excluding online backup) so that is not important for me.

Drive "health" diagnostic tools would be useful if it could detect that a drive is failing before it has failed.. but can it do that?

The password security could be handy if the drive is used to backup private data.. but I am not too sure how it works. For instance, do you need to install an application on each computer you want to use the drive? Though I do not see myself attach a drive with sensitive information on a computer I do not personally own, I still need to consider whether it is something I want enabled on drive with less private data by default.

What do you guys do?

Seriously casual gamer KeyboardDemon's Avatar
    Thanks
    • KeyboardDemon's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Sabretooth Z77
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k + Corsair H80 (Refurbed)
      • Memory:
      • 16gb (4x4gb) Corsair Vengence Red (1866mhz) - (Because it looks good in a black mobo)
      • Storage:
      • Crucial M550 SSD 1TB + 2x 500GB Seagate HDDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0 (Warranty replacement for 780Ti SC ACX)
      • PSU:
      • EVGA 750 watt SuperNova G2
      • Case:
      • Silverstone RV03
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus Swift PG278Q
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity (40mbs dl/10mbs ul)

Re: WD Passport software

I installed WD Smartware on my Uncle's laptop and the backup software meant he didn't lose a single file when his old laptop died. It doesn't seem bloated but it does offer the option to try a trial of the pro-version in an attempt to sell you the paid service over the free version.

Here's a video with a little marketing info about the software.

Thanks

Wow, so those are trial apps? Any idea what are the differences between the trial and paid version? Are we looking at crippled features or restriction on how long one can use the application?

Thanks

interested with backup software as well. manual backup is too troublesome especially when I need to do this for a pc and a laptop.

Seriously casual gamer KeyboardDemon's Avatar
    Thanks
    • KeyboardDemon's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Sabretooth Z77
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k + Corsair H80 (Refurbed)
      • Memory:
      • 16gb (4x4gb) Corsair Vengence Red (1866mhz) - (Because it looks good in a black mobo)
      • Storage:
      • Crucial M550 SSD 1TB + 2x 500GB Seagate HDDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0 (Warranty replacement for 780Ti SC ACX)
      • PSU:
      • EVGA 750 watt SuperNova G2
      • Case:
      • Silverstone RV03
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus Swift PG278Q
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity (40mbs dl/10mbs ul)

Quote Originally Posted by TooNice View Post
    Wow, so those are trial apps? Any idea what are the differences between the trial and paid version? Are we looking at crippled features or restriction on how long one can use the application?
    Yeah, there are two versions, there's a free version and trial version (a trial of the paid version) so the difference between the trial and paid version is one is time limited and paying removes that restriction. The Paid version allows you to sync your backups with a dropbox account so you can get remote access to essential files even when you are not able to physically access your drive or PC.

Thanks

Thanks. If it's time limited (understandable), then it is less interesting since I am already paying for online backup and am happy manually copying to dropbox the files I want to access elsewhere.
    I do kind of like the password protection feature, but it's one more than that can go wrong. It's probably extremely unlikely, but presumably not impossible for the firmware to corrupt. So I have to decide whether I prefer the (extremely unlikely) scenario where the drive is taken and accessed by someone, or the (hopefully even more extremely unlikely) scenario that that specific component of the drive corrupts.

Thread Information