Thread: Samsung HD103SJ was undetected by Asrock Mobo.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • Turkle's system
      • Motherboard:
      • AsRock 970 Extreme 3 Rev2.0
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX 8320
      • Memory:
      • 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 830 250GB, 2x1TB Samsung F3, Seagate 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • R9 290 SOON !!
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic X 750
      • Case:
      • CM HAF X
      • Operating System:
      • Win 8.1
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ 24" TN Panel

Samsung HD103SJ was undetected by Asrock Mobo.

Hello,

I've had a weird problem that I have almost solved but I need some help on understanding what happened. I moved my whole system (lynnfield i5, p55 chipset to fx piledriver, 970 chipset).
    Everything was fine except the HD103SJ being undetected most of time in BIOS and OS. Sometimes it would be detected after a few reboots. When in OS after detection I could not install anything on any hard drive and the pc did give one BSOD along with a boot loop another time. Also, the OS was corrupted once and would not boot until an hour long error check (Win8) which sent it back to a restore point.

After the HDD is detected I can only use it until the next power on. Which caused the HDD to make horrible noises like trying to spin up but fail and grind. I though it was dead. I managed to make it spin up only after unplugging and replugging the SATA power cable in BIOS only. This would cause it to spin up and work normally in OS and allow installations. I then found out that this particular Asrock board (extreme 3 970 r2.0) has problems with certains Samsung HDDs. I then updated the firmware which fixed all of these issues (so far!).

Sorry for the long and incoherent background story but here is my question.

The smart data obtained from HD Tune still shows a FAIL on the Spin up time yet the HDD works fine as far as I can tell. Is it risky to use it as storage? Somehow I don't believe the test results.

Cheers.

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: Samsung HD103SJ was undetected by Asrock Mobo.

It sounds like a faulty HDD to me. The grinding noise is a bad sign and the fact that it doesn't spin up is another.

I would check the HDD on another motherboard to be 100% sure but prepare to send it back.

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

Odd one, I'd expect a controller failure if it wasn't being seen, although the spin-up and grindings issues point to motor.....either way it sounds like a dying HDD.
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Thanks
    • mikeo01's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B85i Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon 1230V3
      • Memory:
      • G.Skill RipJaws 2133MHZ
      • Storage:
      • Plextor M5S 128GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • VTX3D R9 290
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster VS450
      • Case:
      • Corsair 250D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8 PRO, Ubuntu
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 22" W2261VP

Possibly. I had the SpinPoint which once updated to the lasted firmware fixed the grinding, clicking and not being detected in the BIOS/Windows.

Least it's obtaining SMART data from the HDD. Take a look at the SMART data yourself see what's going on. It probably killed itself before you updated the firmware. Many people have had problems with the F3s on AMD chipsets and reporting the drive basically totalling itself out unfortunately.

Warranty?
    "If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0" ||| "I'm not interrupting you, I'm putting our conversation in full-duplex mode" ||| "The problem with UDP joke: I don't get half of them"
    "I’d tell you the one about the CIDR block, but you’re too classy" ||| "There’s no place like 127.0.0.1" ||| "I made an NTP joke once. The timing was perfect."
    "In high society, TCP is more welcome than UDP. At least it knows a proper handshake."

Thread Information