Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pro vs Evo 250GB

Registered+
    Thanks

Pro vs Evo 250GB

No doubt this has been done before, the age old Samsung Evo vs Pro, but with recent prices having dropped, I was wondering just how much the difference is worth.

I'm well aware that in benchmarks the Pro smokes the Evo, and you get a few GB more, but the issue is the Evo can be picked up for £99.99 now, whereas the Pro is sitting around the £140 mark.

As I'm looking to get an SSD around the 250GB mark, which would you go for? Have experience with either or both?

Does he need a reason? Funkstar's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Funkstar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte EG45M-DS2H
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core2Quad Q9550 (2.83GHz)
      • Memory:
      • 8GB OCZ PC2-6400C5 800MHz Quad Channel
      • Storage:
      • 650GB Western Digital Caviar Blue
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 512MB ATI Radeon HD4550
      • PSU:
      • Antec 350W 80+ Efficient PSU
      • Case:
      • Antec NSK1480 Slim Mini Desktop Case
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Ultimate 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407 + 2408 monitors
      • Internet:
      • Zen 8mb

Re: Pro vs Evo 250GB

the general consensus is that you won't actually notice any difference between any of the quality high speed SSDs in real world usage. The percentage difference is pretty small, and that translates to increases of only fractions of a second in loading apps or booting etc.

I think I would just go for the Evo.

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

The Crucial M500 240GB is around £82:

http://www.ebuyer.com/497430-crucial...-ct240m500ssd1

This is a MLC drive with added data redundancy(RAIN) built in. The EVO is not worth paying nearly 25% more for.

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post

This is a MLC drive with added data redundancy(RAIN) built in. The EVO is not worth paying nearly 25% more for.
    Even with the 100% increase in write speed? Is it something the average user would never notice?

Registered+
    Thanks

none of you catches the point. pro and evo use different NAND, hence, different performance (not noticeable during daily use, agreed!), Most importantly, these two different NANDs have different life span.

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nniitt View Post
    none of you catches the point. pro and evo use different NAND, hence, different performance (not noticeable during daily use, agreed!), Most importantly, these two different NANDs have different life span.
    Ah okay - what kind of lifespan difference are we talking? Also it's worth noting that I'll only be using the SSD for the OS and quickstart up programs like chrome, VLC, itunes etc, but will not be storing data such as films, games, music etc on it.

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mazty View Post
    Ah okay - what kind of lifespan difference are we talking? Also it's worth noting that I'll only be using the SSD for the OS and quickstart up programs like chrome, VLC, itunes etc, but will not be storing data such as films, games, music etc on it.
    Lifespan means numbers or times of write/erase process P/E cycles. Ok, it;s your SSD, you can do whatever you want to do with it. You didn't mention how you would use it, so I have to remind you regarding the lifespan issue. Please make sure your questions are clear next time. Using the SSD for the OS and quickstart up programs like chrome, VLC, itunes, then only thing you need to do is to find one with MLC at reasonable price and good after-sale. That's all.

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Quote Originally Posted by mazty View Post
    Ah okay - what kind of lifespan difference are we talking?
    The Hexus thread surveying usage suggests most Hexus users write about 2.3TB/year to their SSDs. Given the endurance test ongoing at TechReport, the TLC drive is expected to be working 100% until about 3000TB of host writes, which would be 1300 years of typical usage for us. The MLC drives are lasting so well we can't predict lifespan yet, however if you need a drive to work for more than 1300 years then I'd recommend MLC (eg PRO) over TLC (eg EVO).

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

Please make sure your questions are clear next time. Using the SSD for the OS and quickstart up programs like chrome, VLC, itunes, then only thing you need to do is to find one with MLC at reasonable price and good after-sale. That's all.
    The OP's question was quite clear - however, your replies, and replies in other threads are not. You are throwing out assertions without supplying any evidence (either personal experience, or authoritative reviews to support them, or a track history here of helpful comments).

We welcome input to the community, but considered and supported replies are the most use to people asking technical questions.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Treasure Hunter extraordinaire herulach's Avatar
    Thanks
    • herulach's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z97 MPower
      • CPU:
      • i7 4790K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 1TB WD Blue + 250GB 840 EVo
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2* Palit GTX 970 Jetstream
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 850W
      • Case:
      • CM HAF Stacker 935, 2*360 Rad WC Loop w/EK blocks.
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1
      • Monitor(s):
      • Crossover 290HD & LG L1980Q
      • Internet:
      • 120mb Virgin Media

Based on my limited (and completely unscientific) comparisons between quite a slow (60GB kingston V300) and quite a fast (240gb 840 EVO) you won't notice a difference. Obviously the 240GB has allowed me to have programs on there, but startup times etc are basically the same. If I understand the specs correctly, its really the 4K read/writes that have the biggest impact on 'snappiness' not max data transfer speeds, there tends to be less of a difference between drives on this anyway.

Registered+
    Thanks

For system disk, you should go for MLC, for general storage go for TLC. How do I arrive at this conclusion? I tried every popular SSD in the market.
    Don't trust those benchmarks. For this particular SSD, you need to pay attention to the speed after disable SLC Cache,that is the actual speed a TLC NAND would get.

Thanks
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • i7-870, Prolimatech Megahalems, 2x Akasa Apache 120mm
      • Memory:
      • 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 11-11-11-27
      • Storage:
      • 2x256GB Samsung 840-Pro, 1TB Seagate 7200.12, 1TB Seagate ES.2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB SuperOverClocked
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • BitFenix Survivor + Bitfenix spectre LED fans, LG BluRay R/W optical drive
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2414h, U2311h 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb/s Fibre and 4G wifi

I use the Pro and have just ordered a 2nd one. Very happy with it, and MLC NAND too. I also have an EVO sat in its box waiting. And both Samsung beast all over the Crucial M500 in the anandtech bench tests. Every single one the Samsung dwarfs the Crucial.

Now whether you will actually notice that difference in speed I can't say. But I can say that if using a notebook you want the Samsung as the idle power draw of the M500 is significantly higher according to Anandtech with obvious battery life implications.

I can also say they are wayyyyyyyy faster than my old OCZ Vertex 2. Noticeably. But that might be cos the Vertex is now getting rather full.

TLC nand in the EVO should be fine for most users. Anandtech went to great lengths a while back to break down how long it ought to last, and compare it to standard usage patterns it would far outlast the system it was intended to go in. We should, so far as I understand their conclusion, all be on those holographic storage cells Hexus were reporting on recently before the TLC gives up the ghost for a typical user.

A few users have posted on a thread on here grumbling about the Evo in certain uses. It seemed quite a niche complaint.

I will use the 2xPro for main drives and will be using the EVO for a periodic clone back-up of my OS drive until I get something cheaper. It will save me the hassle in future of having to reinstall the entire system from scratch when something goes catastrophically wrong. Most recently courtesy of (SFAIK) a buggy firefox add-in that broke my machine. Dang it. Now I just need to get an eSata enclosure... or a sataIII hot-swap 2.5" front drive bay and a PCIe card... hmm shopping sprees. This is what happens when decent new cpus don't come out. I end up tinkering on the smaller things...

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post

RAIN is just a chipkill protection, I thought Samsung were confident that their FEC had enough redundancy to cover that in other ways?

For system disk, you should go for MLC, for general storage go for TLC. How do I arrive at this conclusion? I tried every popular SSD in the market.
    Don't trust those benchmarks. For this particular SSD, you need to pay attention to the speed after disable SLC Cache,that is the actual speed a TLC NAND would get.
    I find that odd, I get the occasional time when the SSD helps but for everyday usage I find little difference in performance over a spinning disc (game levels do load maybe half a second faster, no big deal). The few SSDs I have used tried have all felt the same.

If you are ram starved then SSD would make more difference, perhaps your PC needs more RAM.

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kalniel View Post
    The Hexus thread surveying usage suggests most Hexus users write about 2.3TB/year to their SSDs. Given the endurance test ongoing at TechReport, the TLC drive is expected to be working 100% until about 3000TB of host writes, which would be 1300 years of typical usage for us. The MLC drives are lasting so well we can't predict lifespan yet, however if you need a drive to work for more than 1300 years then I'd recommend MLC (eg PRO) over TLC (eg EVO).
    Cheers for the info, I think if that's the case than the EVO will certainly suffice!

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

So what are the exact figures you got from your own testing? Must have been quite a task to try every popular SSD in the market!

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    RAIN is just a chipkill protection, I thought Samsung were confident that their FEC had enough redundancy to cover that in other ways?
    Which still makes the M500 a more reliable drive than the 840 EVO. RAIN is a feature taken from the Crucial/Micron commerical SSDs.

Have people forgotten,we have gone through this before?? The Intel drives were usually much slower than many competing drives,but in terms of reliability were very good. If price is not a concern they still are the best AFAIK looking at the published data on failures.

Samsung is like Corsair,they caught the market with products using expensive parts,and then quietly use the cheapest stuff they can get away with,while trading on the goodwill of their earlier products.

There is NO excuse for a TLC drive to be more expensive than a MLC drive AT ALL,outside padding the bottom line of Samsung.

The drive speed differences are not really that noticeable. I have an ancient OCZ Vertex 60GB and a much faster Kingston 3K 120GB. I couldn't tell the difference between the two,on both an AMD system,and my SB based system using SATA3!!

My mates with various earlier and later generation SSDs say EXACTLY the same and they use SATA3 too.

The only way you can tell the difference is through using benchmark tools,ie,E-PEEN.

The M500 is cheaper than the 840 EVO. I think people are getting rather warm feelings about the Samsung brand now,and I recommended the 830 myself quite a few times.

To summarise the M500 is cheaper,it has more data redundancy features built in,and even uses a more expensive kind of NAND to boot.

The cheapest 840 EVO 250GB is £99:

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/sams...amazon-1851881

The cheapest M500 240GB is £82:

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/cruc...ebuyer-1854634

Why the heck would I spend 21% more for the 840 EVO??

To do what with?? Windows will load 1 second quicker or something??

I get the Samsung glow on me??

The buzz of high CrystalDiskMark scores??

If the drives were EXACTLY the same price,there might even be an argument that the Samsung offers a bit more storage.

However,not with the massive price premium.

Once the M550 replaces the M500 at its current(or a slightly higher price) and the M500 is discontinued,the storage advantage of the EVO will be gone.

Edit!!

Even look at the larger capacity drives.

The Crucial M500 480GB is faster than the 240GB version and costs £170:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Crucial-CT48...ial+m500+480gb

The Samsung EVO 500GB costs £203:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-500G...ords=evo+500gb

That is still another 20% premium.

It gets closer at the highest capacities:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Crucial-960G...ial+M500+960GB
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Basi...ywords=evo+1tb

That is still a £40 premium.

The Samsung TLC drives are just overpriced IMHO.

I would rather put the money saved into something else in my PC.
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 19-03-2014 at 03:49 PM.

Thread Information