Thread: SSD HDD Hybrid

Registered+
    Thanks

SSD HDD Hybrid

Hi,

My old HDD has up and died on me so looking to buy a new one and thinking about a SSHD Hybrid.

I run my OS (Win 7) on a separate SSD, so the new drive will purely be for storage / game files - a hybrid seems ideal for this.

My question is, would I be able to fit something like this http://www.scan.co.uk/products/500gb...che-ncq-pc-mac, which as far as I can tell is primarily designed for laptops into my PC tower? My drive drawers are capable of holding regular 2.5" and 3.5" drives, so does this have similar fittings? If not, then http://www.scan.co.uk/products/1tb-s...he-8ms-oem-ncq seems better suited?

Thanks

Thanks

Re: SSD HDD Hybrid

Yeah, it'll fit with an adapter.

Google 2.5" to 3.5" hard drive adapter. They range from a couple of £ to £15 from what I've seen.
    Like this...
    http://www.scan.co.uk/products/akasa...nto-525-pc-bay

I'd probably go with the 1TB drive, although can offer no guidence if that drive is a good one, because once you get an adapter you've almost gone to the cost of the 1TB drive anyway.

3. Received thanks from:

Petherwin (13-09-2014)

Thanks
    • Noxvayl's system
      • Motherboard:
      • GigabyteZ87X-UD4H-CF
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 4770K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair Vengaence LPX + 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast
      • Storage:
      • 120GB Snadisk + 256GB Crucial SSDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 4GB Sapphire R9 380
      • PSU:
      • ENermax Platimax 750W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define S
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • ATMT + Dell 1024x1280
      • Internet:
      • Sky Fibre

Hybrids won't be that much better than normal hard drives for storage and games. They are there for running the OS as close to SSD performance while still only needing one drive in your computer for all your files.

A friend of mine recently got a SSD but it only has the OS and programs on it, his steam folder is on a different, normal, HDD. We both play Borderlands 2 and my Steam folder is on my SSD, I have less games installed at once. When we load the game together, we have synchronised our loading a few times to see if there is a difference, he loaded quicker and the next time we loaded the same.

An SSD for storage isn't a good buy in my opinion, and that extends to SSHD as well.

5. Received thanks from:

Petherwin (13-09-2014)

Spreadie

SSHDs come into their own as a direct replacement for a HDD boot/OS drive, IF you can't justify an SSD. Funnily enough, I was looking at those two drives yesterday for my son's PC - His OS drive is really showing it's age.

They're great for regularly accessed files, but largely unnecessary for storage drives. Maybe if your Steam folder is on that drive you'll see a small benefit in loading times on games you play often, but still not enough to justify it IMO.

7. Received thanks from:

Petherwin (13-09-2014)

Registered+
    Thanks

Thanks for quick replies all

As I already run windows on an SSD I'll save a few pounds and go with just a regular HDD.

Cheers.

Thread Information