Thread: What NVMe Drive do i need please?

Thanks

What NVMe Drive do i need please?

Hi everyone,

So, I have a new (at Christmas) 3XS system with a ROG-STRIX-B360-H motherboard in it. It came with a Samsung 970 Evo Plus (I am assuming in the main NVme slot). I am wondering what I can put in the other slot please? Could I put another 970 Evo in it or something else?

The motherboard has: M.2 Socket 3 Type M (2242-2280) Support SATA & PCIe 3.0 x 2 modes

and

M.2 Socket 3 Type M (2242-22110) Support PCIe 3.0 x 4 Mode

Sorry, I am not really great at these things. Could you say if there is any difference between the two slots? eg, is one slower than the other?

Many thanks for your time

Thanks

Re: What NVMe Drive do i need please?

Problem solved - Scan kindly came back to me last night (yes they do work into the night, who knew lol) and I ordered a Samsung 970 Evo plus 1TB.

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: What NVMe Drive do i need please?

Sounds like one of the M.2 slots does PCIE3 4x while the other will only do PCIE3 2x.

i would not put a 970 evo into the 2x slot, quite the waste of money as you will never hit its rated speed, only half of it. i think most QLC drives would be more up to the task, offer more storage for the same price

also Samsung drives can be expensive for the performance, sometimes it can be quite a bit cheaper to pick up drives using a Phsion E12 or Silicon Motion SM2262EN

Thread Information