Thread: Question on drive warranty

Registered+
    Thanks

Question on drive warranty

Hi,

I recently bought four 3.5 WD RE drives for a NAS from CCL only to discover they all had a manufacturer date of Dec 2016.

When I entered the serial numbers on the WD warranty checker all 4 drives showed as the warranty expiring in Feb 2022 (under 14 months).

I questioned it with CCL who told me that once registered the full warranty would be valid from the date of purchase. So off I went and registered them, uploading the purchase invoice etc. 24hrs later and confirmation from WD the drives were now registered the warranty period was still showing Feb '22.

I spoke directly to WD support who told me the warranty (which should be 5 years) runs from the date of manufacture, I put this back to CCL who have now told me WD are incorrect "WD support are incorrect regarding this as UK law states that the warranty starts from the date of sale and not manufacture."

Someone is clearly wrong but each party is telling me something different.

Can anyone shed any light on this regarding HDD warranty ?

Thanks

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: Question on drive warranty

Might be best to speak to a consumer protection agency to shed some light on this matter.

Thanks

They're kinda both right. A "warranty" and your rights under UK consumer law are different.

The warranty, as offered by the manufacturer is pretty much whatever they say it is, as they aren't obliged to offer one at all. But if they do, they can be legally held to it.

However, assuming you are a consumer, andbuying from a business, then you have quite a lot of rights, created and enforced by statute. They will apply against the seller, not the manufacturer. Exactly what protections you get varies, and is to complex to write about today, but basically, is what's uusually called "Sale of Goods Act" rights, though there is a new law.

So in short, they're sort-of both right, but talking about different things.
    A lesson learned from PeterB about dignity in adversity, so Peter, In Memorium, "Onwards and Upwards".

Registered+
    Thanks

A bit of further investigation and these drives appears to be discontinued and would explain why the date of manufacture is 4 years ago.

No mention of this at purchase, I feel CCL have been a bit sly here so I think the easiest thing to do is just return them.

Thank you both for the replies

Thread Information