Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SSD's for storage vs spinners

Thanks

Re: SSD's for storage vs spinners

It was Stablebits Scanner, I use that and their Drivepool software to manage my drives on my 'server' at home.

Thanks
    • AGTDenton's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI MEG X570S ACE MAX
      • CPU:
      • AMD 5950x
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair something or the other
      • Storage:
      • 1x 512GB nvme, 1x 2TB nvme, 2x 8TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS 3080 Ti TuF
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM850x
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Torrent White
      • Operating System:
      • 11 Pro x64
      • Internet:
      • Fibre

I have had a QNAP device do a similar thing to me. Reported a drive was bad and automatically took it out of service and disconnected it from the array. So I removed the disk and tried it in another device. Absolutely no issues reported by two machines with different controllers. I put the drive back in the QNAP but it had already made up its mind and said no.

I would say as it's in a drive pool to continue using it unless Stablebit is not allowing it.

Thanks

Well the Scanner isnt moaning about it, I'll have a play and just make sure I keep an eye on it, it sends me emails etc when it picks up errors.
    I've got a 4Tb SSD in there as well now so I can now afford to lose a drive and keep my important stuff as I can adjust my duplication back up to 3 from the 2 it was on due to having a drive die in the first place.
    I can also setup Scanner to trigger Drivepool to evacuate a drive if errors are detected.

Will keep an eye online and prepare to swap out all the spinners for SSD's in the next few months as and when deals appear just to give me the improvements listed above..

Anyone know any decent deal watcher sites, looking specifically at the 4-8tb size, Samsung most likely or Crucial maybe..

Thanks
    • AGTDenton's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI MEG X570S ACE MAX
      • CPU:
      • AMD 5950x
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair something or the other
      • Storage:
      • 1x 512GB nvme, 1x 2TB nvme, 2x 8TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS 3080 Ti TuF
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM850x
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Torrent White
      • Operating System:
      • 11 Pro x64
      • Internet:
      • Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by [GSV]Trig View Post
    Anyone know any decent deal watcher sites, looking specifically at the 4-8tb size, Samsung most likely or Crucial maybe..
    For Amazon I use Keepa (from recommendations by a few on here). This beats waiting for Amazon Days or Black Friday by a mile. Saved me a bob or 2.

For other sites like Scan, Overclockers etc... I use Idealo, PC Part Picker is meant to be good but I've not tried it.

Thanks

I'll give this Keepa a go then if its recommended here, see what I can find..
    I'm almost tempted to just push the boat out and replace them all now then its done, but know that prices are just likely to drop rather than go up..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    It's been a few years, but when attempting to return a Seagate drive you had to run the manufacturers diagnostic program to get a code to fill out the RMA. The diagnostic program "fixed" the drive by swapping out the multiple bad sectors and then reporting that the drive was just fine and dandy, clean bill of health. With a mutter of "No you flippin' don't" (or similar), I just re-ran the diagnostic on full scan until the creeping death that I knew was going to be spreading across that platter took out more sectors than it could swap, and it gave me the code.

So yeah, the errors can go away, but I'm ordering a replacement drive anyway thanks.

Other companies may also pull that anti-customer rma tactic, and that leopard may have changed its spots.
    I treat having to do that kind of thing, even if the sector-swapping works, as a bit like having low levels of pad left on my car's brake discs - yes, I can still brake but the wear level is indicative of general wear level and impending failure. I don't want to be coming up quickly behind the guy in front when my brakes finally give up the ghost.

I guess the only difference is that unless the drive is really pretty new, I can't be bothered to faff about with RMA. Yeah, it's lazy but I just order a new drive, replace the dodgy one and, if suitable, relegate it to a less useful or central role. I have often got years more use in a low-demand role, especially if no data is at risk if it fails.

Oh, and for essential functions, like server drives, I'll have a new drive sitting in a cupboard, waiting for a failure. That's what the order replaces. At one point, I had a spare Adaptec 2940UW board, and a whole 3-drive hard-drive cage/mount (for hot-swap purposes in a SCSI RAID setup) sitting in that cupboard. Mind you, I was still backing up to tape at that point, albeit DAT 4, I think).

It's irritating, though, that manufacturers think remapping sectors solves the underlying issue. It doesn't. It just masks it for a bit longer.
    A lesson learned from PeterB about dignity in adversity, so Peter, In Memorium, "Onwards and Upwards".

Thanks
    • Percy1983's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte x570 Aorus Pro
      • CPU:
      • AMD 5900x + Cooler Master Nepton 140XL
      • Memory:
      • 64GB (4x16GB ) Corsair Vengence 3200mhz @ 3600mhz CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1tb SP US75 Boot + Fast 4tb SP XS70 + Slow Raid 0 4tb (2tbx2) with 100gb NVME cache
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX6800 16GB (XFX SWFT 319)
      • PSU:
      • 875w Thermaltake Toughpower XT
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Acer UHD x2
      • Internet:
      • Vodafone

I keep looking into this as I run 2 4TB raid 0 arrays (2x2TB) with a 256gb nvme cache covering both.

Its funny as every once in a while a hard drive dies and a just buy a used one for £25-£30 and restore the backup and carry on. I have effectively been kicking the can downn the road waiting for ssds to come down in price.

My plan was always replace with sata ssds but as nvme drives are more or less at parity now (for pcie3 drives) it would be silly to sata as even a 'slow' nvme will be faster.

So my new plan is to get 2x 2TB nvmes (in raid 0 again, better performance while cheaper than 4tb nvmes) and stick them in my second pcie slot and then have 2 more hard drives to have as replacements and then wait for either the drives all dying or a great price on a 4tb nvme with can then replace the cache nvme and hard drives.

The main think is I am in no rush as I am more than happy with my current performance levels (mostly down to caching I guess).

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Quote Originally Posted by Percy1983 View Post
    My plan was always replace with sata ssds but as nvme drives are more or less at parity now (for pcie3 drives) it would be silly to sata as even a 'slow' nvme will be faster.
    At work we just got a couple of really cheap mini PCs (they were cheaper last week): https://www.amazon.co.uk/Beelink-PC-...dp/B0C2HKXXQJ/

If you look at the spec, they have an NVMe drive in there, but in the small print this is one of the modern "Atom" class processors so it gets a single PCIe lane to that drive. I scoffed at first, but actually that's still faster than SATA

It's also single channel ram, but for our uses it's fine and they were a bit over £200 at the time.

I would personally like to see U.3 drives start to turn up in consumer PCs for those cases where you want a few drives installed.

Thanks

Inteesting, those mini-PCs. Given the right use case, a bargain.

I have been looking at remaining Intel NUCs but, /i need more than that to do what I want. At least i3, preferably i5. You can still put together a pretty compelling system for the cost, but it'll be double that for the spec i want. Still ..... oh, dunno. More prevaricating, I s'pose.

It'll help take my mind of flip-flopping between Prusa and BambuLabs.
    A lesson learned from PeterB about dignity in adversity, so Peter, In Memorium, "Onwards and Upwards".

Thanks
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen999 View Post
    Inteesting, those mini-PCs. Given the right use case, a bargain.

I have been looking at remaining Intel NUCs but, /i need more than that to do what I want. At least i3, preferably i5. You can still put together a pretty compelling system for the cost, but it'll be double that for the spec i want. Still ..... oh, dunno. More prevaricating, I s'pose.

It'll help take my mind of flip-flopping between Prusa and BambuLabs.
    Double the money gets you one of these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/MINISFORUM-.../dp/B0BXWJMQPL

That's a crazy powerful but tiny box that you can mount out of the way behind a monitor. 16 threads of zen3+ and the ram and storage to feed it.

I can see why Intel got out of the NUC business, it is getting cut throat and they were way behind on specs.

Thanks

I'm amazed at how the specs on this sort of thing has jumped massively since I last looked at things that size, I've got a couple of Lenovo ThinkCentres with 8th Gen i5/7 that I thought were pretty good buys at £180ea but when you look at the relative power on some of those, makes you wonder how much longer even an iTX build with a decent GPU will last when you can simply get something with an APU that's good enough for what most people will need, then stick your decent GPU in an external case and you've got the best of both worlds...

I'm also amazed at how far off topic we jump sometimes now there's less people here but still a decent knowledge/geek base that we can all have similar thoughts and go off in the same rough direction

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    Double the money gets you one of these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/MINISFORUM-.../dp/B0BXWJMQPL

That's a crazy powerful but tiny box that you can mount out of the way behind a monitor. 16 threads of zen3+ and the ram and storage to feed it.

I can see why Intel got out of the NUC business, it is getting cut throat and they were way behind on specs.
    Well, 'Go Forth & Procreate' Me. Okay that's a bit more expensive but hell, that's a lotta grunt for the wedge. It's even got 2.5G ethernet and a USB4 port. Damn.

Thanks
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen999 View Post
    Well, 'Go Forth & Procreate' Me. Okay that's a bit more expensive but hell, that's a lotta grunt for the wedge. It's even got 2.5G ethernet and a USB4 port. Damn.
    I think that is the one that I saw someone review with an external GPU strapped on it over USB4 that dwarfed the main machine in size

The integrated graphics on that people seem to rate as around a 1050ti equivalent so it can do some light gaming.

For more everyday use, I think you can get a 5800U based box for about £350. It will be very interesting to see what the 8000 series machines can do.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information