Thread: N5200- Adding disks and changing raid type

Registered+
    Thanks

Question N5200- Adding disks and changing raid type

I added a 5th hard drive to the N5200. The WUI shows the drive status as OK, but the Raid check box is unticked, while the Spare check box is ticked. I want this disk to part of the Raid array (currently Raid 5), but those check boxes are greyed out - I can't change them. The first 4 disks are part of the array.

I'd also like to change the Raid type from from 5 to 10. When I go into the Migrate Raid option it only has one migrate option - Raid 5 to Raid 5 - which incidentally I tried to use to get the 5th disk as part of the array by clicking on the Migrate check box. It fails with a 'RAID creation failed[9]' message. Is it possible to migrate from raid 5 to 10 ? Do I have to delete the array and create a new one ? I have my data backed up if that is the case.

I've read the user guide but it doesn't go into detail about these scenario types.

Thanks for any help.
    Mike

Thanks
    The RAID Migration need more space to operation thus only following combination:

RAID 0 to RAID 0
    HDD*2 to HDD*3/4/5
    HDD*3 to HDD*4/5
    HDD*4 to HDD*5

RAID 0 to RAID 1
    HDD*2 to HDD*3/4/5
    HDD*3 to HDD*4/5
    HDD*4 to HDD*5

RAID 1 to RAID 0
    HDD*2 to HDD*2/3/4/5

RAID 1 to RAID 5
    HDD*2 to HDD*3/4/5

RAID 5 t0 RAID 5
    HDD*3 to HDD*4/5
    HDD*4 to HDD*5

Registered+
    Thanks
    Hi Yvon, thank you for your quick response.

I have a 4 disk raid 5 array, and trying to go to 5 disks, but get the 'RAID creation failed[9]' message when I try it.

Also, if I do want to go for Raid 10, does that mean destroying the current array and starting fresh?
    Thanks
    Mike

Registered+
    Thanks
    FYI

I dropped the array, and created a Raid 6 using all 5 drives (Raid 10 only uses 4).

It seems I couldn't make Raid 5 use the 5th disk because it was faulty. The array now seems permanently downgraded until I can get another drive in it.

When I tried Raid 6 it configured but then immediately went into degraded mode. I'm in the process of replacing the new (faulty) disk with a new (good) disk.

Thread Information