Thread: Thecus 5200: Resize Snapshot Capacity

Thanks

Thecus 5200: Resize Snapshot Capacity

Hello,

I expanded our Thecus in Raid 5 from 4 to 5 Disks and what happened was that all new Diskspace waas assigned to the Snapshot Capacity. I found a Descritption on the net how to solve the issue, but i dont know how to SSH.
    Maybe there is an easier way?

In answer to slowbot and anyone else that is looking for a step by step process, here is what I did (again the hard stuff came from ner02 so the credit should go to him). Anything between quotes is what should be entered at the command prompt:

1. ssh to your Thecus and log in.
    2. "cd /app"
    3. "vi nohup.sh"
    4. "i" – Allows you to insert text in the file
    5. Copy and paste the nohup.sh code from ner02's message above.
    6. hit the esc key – This moves you out of Insert mode
    7. ":wq" – this writes the file and quits from vi. If you really screw up in vi and want to quit without saving the changes to the file you can ":q!" instead. To go back into the file just "vi nohup.sh" to open it back up.
    8. "ps | grep sshd" – This will give you the process id of the ssh daemon
    9. "vi add_raid.sh"
    10. "i" – Allows you to insert text in the file
    11. Copy and paste the add_raid.sh code from ner02's message above.
    12. hit the esc key – This moves you out of Insert mode
    13. "/12644" – searches the script for 12644. The first one it finds is in the comment.
    14. "n" – skips to the next 12644 which is the kill 12644 line and the one we want to change.
    15. "xxxxx" – deletes the 12644.
    16. "i" then hit the space bar – goes into Insert mode and puts a space after the word kill
    17. Enter the PID that came back for the sshd process from step 8 above
    18. hit the esc key – This moves you out of Insert mode
    19. "/200G" - searches the script for 200G. The first one it finds is in the comment.
    20. "n" – skips to the next 200G which is the lvresize ${datadisk} -L +200G line and the one we want to change.
    21. "xxx" – deletes the 200.
    22. "i" – Allows you to insert text in the file
    23. Enter the size of the available space of the new drive. Mine happened to be 464 for a 500 gig drive but as can be seen above this was determined through trial and error.
    24. hit the esc key – This moves you out of Insert mode
    25. ":wq" – this writes the file and quits from vi. If you really screw up in vi and want to quit without saving the changes to the file you can ":q!" instead. To go back into the file just "vi add_raid.sh" to open it back up.
    26. ls -l | grep .sh – This will show you the permissions on the files that were just created. They probably only have -rw-r--r— permissions.
    27. "chmod 755 nohup.sh" – Gives read and execute permissions to everyone and read, write and execute to the owner.
    28. "chmod 755 add_raid.sh" - Gives read and execute permissions to everyone and read, write and execute to the owner.
    29. ls -l | grep .sh – This will show you the permissions on the files that were just created. They should now have -rwxr-xr-x permissions.
    30. "./nohup.sh ./add_raid.sh" – runs the scripts that were just created. If everything goes well you should lose your shh session and in the HTTP GUI you should see your RAID and Snapshot capacity as N/A. After a couple of hours the resized quantities will come back and you can use "pvdisplay" and "lvdisplay" to verify everything is as it should be. I don't know everything that can go wrong but for me my first couple of attempts were unsuccessful because I used the wrong resize value. The way I found this issue was to vi the /app/nohup.out file and search for the value I used.

I don't know if this will be helpful to anyone or was even necessary but I hope it will help someone. Please let me know if there are any issues with this instruction list and I will update the post.

And for the normal disclaimer, I felt comfortable enough with the process and the thought of losing my data to go through this procedure. Please don't think that by me writing this and being successful with it that I am saying you should do this or you will not lose all of your data. Use this information at your own risk.

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: Thecus 5200: Resize Snapshot Capacity

Is there any other way to do this without using the SSH? I just migrated my RAID from a 3 disk RAID 5 to a 4 disk RAID 5 and now all my new capacity is in the snapshot

I don't want to lose all my data cause I mistyped something...

Thanks

Registered+
    Thanks

on earlier firmwares the extra disk was marked as "HOT SPARE"

you could just go to the raid-config
    go to configure raid
    uncheck hot spare and check "in raid" for this disk
    then create raid
    and a few hours later your raid was expanded

... I know it's pretty awkward to come up with this way, as everybody would suspect that his raid would be erased and rebuilt ... but well, noone of you told us his firmware revision ...
    Hardware mods:
    # they void your warranty
    # they may seem to work, but kill your machine later on
    # they are mostly unneeded, because the engineers who built a machine knew what they were doing...

Registered+
    Thanks

I am running firmware version 1.00.10

I need to get rid of this stupid snapshot and free up my 463Gig of new space... oye how annoying..

Please help

Thanks

Thanks

I'm having trouble finding the contents of the nohup.sh script mentioned in step 5 above. Can anybody provide this or point me in the right direction?

Thank you

Thanks

Hi, I just added a 4th drive to my previous 3 drives RAID array.
    I followed instructions and MIGRATED from 3xdrive RAID 5 ro 4xdrive RAID 5.
    After 18 hours of Migration and 4 hours of rebuild, the result is that ALL the new space was allocated to the Snapshot and NOT to the data.

I found this solution and I am in the machine ready to apply it, but I CANNOT FIND / there is no such thing as the CODE from nero02, the supposed CODE I need to copy and paste in the nohup file... PLEASE HELP: RE-Post that code so that we can fix this issue as well.

I don't have enough space to empty my array completely and re-build it again as suggested: i need to find a solution to reassign the space from the Snapshot to the RAID data volume without loosing my data HELP

Thanks

Bump

Thread Information