Thread: Convert JBOD to RAID 0 and ultimately RAID 5

Thanks

Convert JBOD to RAID 0 and ultimately RAID 5

Hi all,

I've got a 5200

It was originally setup as a JBOD as I only had one disk and then I just inserted another and it forced me to keep it at JBOD as opposed to swapping it over to a RAID 0.

Are JBOD and RAID 0 pretty much the same and the only difference would be when I go to the 3rd disk?

If not, why can't I switch it to RAID 0 - option is greyed out.

I'm running firmware 1.00.09

Thanks,

Kieran

Splash

Re: Convert JBOD to RAID 0 and ultimately RAID 5

I don't own one of these, but I would suspect that you'd need to rebuild the array in order to change to a different RAID specification: this would normally require that the array be partitioned and formatted afterwards before it would be able to be used, so you need to backup your data before doing this.

JBOD and RAID0 are like apples and oranges - both fruit, but different. If you lose a disk in a JBOD "array" you lose the data on that disk. If you lose a disk in a RAID0 array you have effectively lost all the data across all disks and would need to restore from backup once you have rebuilt the array. There's a thread somewhere on the forums with a beginners' guide to RAID which you may find useful - I'll see if I candig out the link.

EDIT - The guide is by Alsenior and is available from http://forums.hexus.net/showthread.p...62#post1145162 - be sure to thank the guy if you find it useful
    Last edited by Splash; 13-08-2007 at 03:19 PM.

Thanks

Thanks for the advice, but its not correct in this case, or at least I hope so.

The Thecus is supposed to be able to convert between RAID levels - its a listed feature.

Anyone who's got one - can you please help?

Splash

Hokay, done a bit more reading...

This device DOES support RAID migration, so you could go from RAID 0 to RAID 5. I think your issue is that you are utilising JBOD at present, and you need to be using some form of RAID array in order to migrate between.

This is purely my best guess though, so I would hope that Thecus might get you a firm reply

Thread Information