Thread: Moving data between shares on an N4100+

Thanks

Moving data between shares on an N4100+

Hi guys,

I hope someone can help me.

As you know, when you move folders/files around within the same HDD in XP it does it pretty much instantaneously, as opposed to between when you move data between drives where you have to wait for the files to copy from one drive to the other.

I have two shared folders on my N4100+ and I have about 1Tb of data I need to move from one folder to another. They are both mapped as separate network drives currently and you can't see one from the other (although both are public and browsable, this is my home network we're talking about here so no ACL's have been set up). Is there a nice quick easy way of moving this data across (like in my first scenario) or do I have to wait for it all to copy/delete from one folder to the other even they're both on the same RAID on the same NAS (like in the second scenario)?

Many thanks all
    Jon

Thanks
    Dear Sir,

Due to the network & OS system structure limite, if we went to moving folder/file from 1 network driver to another, the data would come reading to your PC & copy to another, thus such operation would take much time.

Yvon.

Thanks
    Hi Yvon,

Many thanks for your reply. What you have said is exactly what I am looking to avoid! Is there a way of mapping to the NAS at "root" level, eg the same way you could map to the root of a C: drive with, say, \\server\c$, and see all the shared folders within it? That way it would just be dragging and dropping within folders on one drive.

Thanks again,
    Jon

Thanks

Re: Moving data between shares on an N4100+

I would also like to see this happen on the N5200.
    Even if you connect to the root share of the thecus to see all the visible shares it happens.

As when I copy the contents of a drive to the Thecus the data is copied to a folder on the following share: \\%hostname%\usbcopy\

If I try to move the data from here to another share that I have configured it takes forever, having to read and then write the data constantly rather than just editing the FAT.

There must be a way to move data between shares (it's still on the same physical disk and more importantly, the same volume) with out this read/write process having to take place.
    Thanks,
    Tee

Registered+
    Thanks

Hello... isnt it possible that you could move the data by logging into an SSH session on the box (by installing the SSH module) and then move the data manually?

This should prevent having to move the data around the network...

Cheers
    Guy

Thanks

On the N5200 you could ("hypothetically") do this quite extensively (and carefully), both for moving and backing up files. Much, much, faster than pulling the data over a gigE network (back-and-forth). I'm not sure if this works on the N4100.

You load the SSHD and SYSUSER modules, and install an SSH Secure Client on your PC (SSHSecureShellClient-3.2.9.exe). Using SYSUSER (make sure you make the modules active) you set up a new root user. You then run the SSH client on your PC, entering the IP address of the NAS, and using the new user/pwd you set up with SYSUSER. You are then "in" the NAS.

BE VERY CAREFUL WHAT YOU DO. If you're not conversant with basic Linux shell commands, you could cause some serious damage. You can find many simple references to shell commands (I tried to paste a URL but was denied by the system).

For setting up scripts, you can use windows Notepad to edit a script (script.sh), and then go to the same folder in SSH and run it by typing "./script.sh". Note that an extraneous CR character at the end of each line in Windows causes strange things to happen (typically a "command not found" error). You can either run a utility to convert Windows to Unix, or (lazy me) add a "#" at the end of each line which seems to solve the problem (this is a Remark character, and everything after it is ignored).

An example of some stuff you could do:

"mv /raid0/data/folder1/* /raid0/data/folder2"

Try NOT to create folders from within the shell, as the root user gets set as their owner, which may not be very healthy. In the above example, you should have created folder2 from your PC, and only then moved the files over. The files keep their original owner information. If you need to create a folder from within the script, copy an existing (empty) folder to the new name, this way replicating its owner and permission flags. For example:

"export DATE=$(date +%Y-%m-%d)"
    "cp -rp /raid1/data/Backups/0000-00-00 /raid1/data/Backups/${DATE}"

This will create a new folder with today's date in YYYY-MM-DD format, with the same owner information as folder 0000-00-00 (or any other name you choose).

If you need to copy data, use:

"cp -rp /raid0/data/folder1/* /raid0/data/folder2"

The -p creates the new files with the same owner and permission flags as the original.

BTW, if you have formatted two volumes, the N5200 names the first volume /raid0 and the second volume /raid1. If you have only one volume I believe it will be named /raid.

Oh, and you may find the command "du -skh *" very useful, as it gives total folder sizes, which you cannot see via Windows over SMB.

Regards,
    Jonathan
    Last edited by yhashkes; 07-09-2007 at 11:38 AM. Reason: Correction

Thread Information