Thread: How reliable is N5200 NTFS r/w access?

Thanks

Question How reliable is N5200 NTFS r/w access?

We are running an N5200 as a backup server for our windows network, I am going to copy a backup to an external USB drive for an offsite copy, but I can't decide which file system to use on that USB drive.

Since windows cannot natively read ext3, and linux NTFS access has been sketchy for years, I was wondering if any of you have any suggestions.

Has anyone been running a similar setup with an NTFS partition for a while, and had repeatedly reliable results?

Thank you in advance.

Thanks

Re: How reliable is N5200 NTFS r/w access?

I use EXT3 driver for windows.

I can't post the blinking link because of some silly spam restriction, so you'll have to decode this cryptic message:

www DOT fs-driver DOT org/

It installs a pure kernel mode file system driver Ext2fs.sys, which actually extends the Windows NT/2000/XP/2003 operating system to include the Ext2 file system. Since it is executed on the same software layer at the Windows NT operating system core like all of the native file system drivers of Windows (for instance NTFS, FASTFAT, or CDFS for Joliet/ISO CD-ROMs), all applications can access directly to Ext2 volumes. Ext2 volumes get drive letters (for instance G. Files, and directories of an Ext2 volume appear in file dialogs of all applications. There is no need to copy files from or to Ext2 volumes in order to work with them.
    Ext3 is supported too by this driver too Okay windows doesn't support it natively, but if its going to be a regular copy and paste i'd keep the better ext3 filesystem and use the ported windows driver since ext3 format is open source its incredibly stable. In terms of restriction, its just the extended security that is not supported.
    Last edited by spamalam; 10-08-2007 at 07:50 PM.

Thread Information