Thread: N5200 freezes in the middle of many nfs transactions

Thanks

N5200 freezes in the middle of many nfs transactions

I've just got an n5200br, and I've tested it in a raid5 configuraiton of 3 160gb seagate st3160815AS disks, and 3 WD caviar 500gb WD5000AAKS drives.

In both configurations, when I use rsync to copy from a usb drive attached to my laptop (running ubuntu feisty fawn, aka 7.04, fully updated), I can copy varying amounts, but at some point the n5200 stops doing anything. If I re-try this rsync a few times (it's a bit large, about 120gb of data I've backed up over time, and want to be served fromthe 5200, including old mail, music, photos, etc.), the n5200 web interface has even frozen, returning the login page but not authenticating me, requiring that I reboot the 5200.

My firmware is version 1.0.10, as shipped from eaegis a couple of weeks ago whenI first received it.

Is this a known problem? It seems reproducable with different drives. I suspected the linux distribution, but the web interface freezing up leads me to suspect that the n5200 is probably at fault.

Thanks,

-Peter

Thanks

Re: N5200 freezes in the middle of many nfs transactions

Daer Sir,

Foolowing suggestion for your reference:

1. Try on SMB to verify it is transportation protocol issue or not.

2. Update to latest verison firmware V2.00.01 and try.

http://www.thecus.com/Downloads/N520...de.2.00.01.bin

3. If above steps doesn't working, please send the conf.bin from web confiuration page from: System-> System Mgmt->download to support@thecus.com

Yvon.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Thecus - Yvon View Post
    2. Update to latest verison firmware V2.00.01 and try.

http://www.thecus.com/Downloads/N520...de.2.00.01.bin
    Hi Yvon,
    are there any release notes available for this FW version - would be interesting to see them before installing the new version
    br
    Peter

Thanks

Yvon,

Thanks for the response. Some more investigation led me to see that there were a lot of nfs retries going over the wire back and forth, but no activity. To fix this I ended up upgrading the firmware last night to the latest 2.00.x beta (I don't have the version on-hand, since I'm at work) and everything is working fine with nfs now. Cifs-wise I can browse the shares via smbclient and smb mounting from linux. The win xp side of things seems to not want to talk to network shares, so I'll work on that this week.

The system freezing seemed to be a matter of the 5200 trying to spin the disks back up and locking on that in the 1.0.10 firmware release. Now that I've upgraded I don't believe that the disks are spinning down but I need to verifty this. Since I only use the system about 5 hours of the day for most of the week, I'd like to not waste this electricity, so I'll follow-up in a separate thread once I can confirm whether or not this is working properly.

Thanks,

-Peter

Thread Information