Thread: Thecus N5200... create public share folder but not accessible by some users

Thanks

Thecus N5200... create public share folder but not accessible by some users

Hi there,

I've purchased a Thecus N5200 and got it running with it's disks setup to Raid 10 already (with 1 spare disk).

I then shared a folder.... setting it to allow for public access.

On my Windows XP, logged in as the adminstrator, I'm able to mapped the public folder as S Drive.
    I'm also able to read/write to it without any problem.

However, I've an application that runs starts as a service. And it's not able to write to this file share.

Am I missing some setup here?

Any advice will be appreciated!

Thanks!

Vincent

Thanks

Re: Thecus N5200... create public share folder but not accessible by some users

I have a similar problem, although the programs can not find any files within a folder when it is marked as private. However, when I made it public, the programs can easily access it - but now it became writeable even to the read-only user

The service should be able to log in to the RAID when you go to the service property page and tell it to login as a specific user. But I could not figure out how exactly this user should be specified in the windows machine and in the N5200 - no matter what I tried, the service could not get to the drive.

We tried to troubleshoot this issue and it appears that the problem is due to the windows' different access to local and remote files - UNC file name, or something like that. The share is shown in the explorer window, but you can't get to it from within an application.

I would appreciate help!

Thanks

You may try to use the same username and password as You have on Your windows machine also on the N5200 - at least this is working in my setup.
    br
    Peter

Thanks

I definitely tried that, but it did not work.
    I'm not a linux guru, how can I find from the N5200 logs via ssh who is trying to log in? That may help!

Registered+
    Thanks

.. check /var/log/samba for logs

Anyway, for me it does not seem to be a N5200 specific issue. Try Microsofts TechNet/KB to see what to do to mount the same share with different users at the same time (that is what the service wants to).

/Falk

Thanks

Thank you very much, fajo!
    I don't know what made a difference - I upgraded the firmware, and I re-created the RAID; perhaps it was a bug which got fixed. I have a non-public folder with proper permissions and it is properly accessible by the software. But if the problem ever comes back, I know now where to find the logs - and they do contain the login information.

Thread Information