• 1GB
      • Storage:
      • 82GB
      • Monitor(s):
      • twin 17" CRT
      • Internet:
      • 8Mb/s ADSL

My 5200 won't listen to me!

I have a problematic N5200. The CIFS service is not starting at boot time. It shows as Enabled on the Services page. I have tried to disable it, but after the reboot, it's still shown as enabled; my changes are ignored and do not persist across reboots. I've also tried to:
    - check the filesystem
    - reset to factory defaults
    - install modules (so I can enable SSH access)
    - disable uPnP

… And so on, but these commands are being ignored, too. When I perform a factory reset, I would expect the IP addresses to revert to default, the user accounts to be lost and so on. Is this correct?

About the only thing it does seem to do is shutdown or reboot when it's told. No CIFS means Windows clients cannot access it, making the device useless for its purpose, so this is a critical problem! I can't do a factory reset from the front panel, either, with the control buttons OR by pressing & holding RESET at boot. Indeed, 2 or 3 attempts at this & now I can't get at the web interface, either. :¬(

Thecus support in the US are not answering their emails or phone messages.

Firmware 1.0.08 - which I can't upgrade. There's no mention of anything newer on the website but I found 1.0.10 in the Downloads directory & a beta of 1.0.12.

5 x Seagate 750GB drives as a RAID6.

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: My 5200 won't listen to me!

Send your N5200 back to the reseller. Error description: DOM broken. No write access possible.

Reset to default resets WAN & LAN - Settings and the admin password. Also it should make the service availability as it is in shipping state.

Oh, and do not use 1.00.10 - it's got some bugs, that's why it has not officially been released. Try 2.00.12.3 - this seems to work well since a month or so...
    Raid and other settings wont be compromised. Users still exist and so on.
    Hardware mods:
    # they void your warranty
    # they may seem to work, but kill your machine later on
    # they are mostly unneeded, because the engineers who built a machine knew what they were doing...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Huebner View Post
    ...... Try 2.00.12.3 .....
    Have not found this version - do You mean 1.00.12.3 ?
    The last one in the Download area (not in the beta section) seems to be 2.00.01. Unfortunatly no release notes or history or ......
    Would be nice from Thecus to give some hints on the versions in the Download section. I fully understand that there are no release notes on beta versions, but for versions in the Download area there should be a comment.
    br
    Peter

Registered+
    Thanks

you didn't quite understand: your DOM is most likely broken. DOM (disk on memory) is the flash memory module where the firmware and the basic settings reside on.

and for the versions: all 2.00.xx versions are beta until now. 1.00.08 is the last release (which also got a few most likely not noticeable bugs).
    Hardware mods:
    # they are mostly unneeded, because the engineers who built a machine knew what they were doing...

Thanks
    • lproven's system
      • CPU:
      • Athlon XP 2800+
      • Memory:
      • 1GB
      • Storage:
      • 82GB
      • Monitor(s):
      • twin 17" CRT
      • Internet:
      • 8Mb/s ADSL

Thanks for that, Stefan.

I think you are a little confused as to who you are talking to. I (lproven) asked the original question and it's presumably me that has a corrupted Flash drive.

[May I suggest that the term DOM is not suitable? DOM already means something very different:
    DOM ==>
    Document Object Model

<hypertext, language, World-Wide Web> A W3C specification for application program interfaces for accessing the content of HTML and XML documents.

(From the FOLDOC)
    ]

Another chap, peterfu, was asking you to clarify your comments on firmware releases. You suggest 2.xx - I thought the 2.xx series was only for the N5200 Pro, at least at present?

Thanks

lproven,

DOM means different things in different contexts. The DOM of a web browser came well after the DOM0 of a virtualized system afaik, and I'm sure that history will show that there were 20 other things on mainframes that have DOM as their name or as part of the name (though, really, mainframes like 4-5 letter abbreviations more). When talking about a proprietary hardware box, if DOM is a good abbreviation of a part, then in the context of the discussion it's as valid as calling it the WWW if it's the word-writable-widget. Maybe confusing at first, but it makes sense and doesn't hurt anyone.

Anyway, to contribute something useful to this discussion, there were certain branches of 2.0.x earlier in the beta, according to my reading and memory of these and other forums, that enabled features of the pro box on the regular 5200-series, but the betas are for all 5200s.

-Peter

Registered+
    Thanks

Hi @ all,

I guess I was confused to whom the answer goes. But I'm glad you figured it out

In the Thecus N5200xxx context DOM is the Disk On Memory. If your reseller doesn't understand, he's one of the kind who thinks selling is the first primer. You probably won't have much fun with him if something goes wrong or breaks ...

But I'm the technician of www.nwkomp.de - for us the first primer is the after sale support, because that is what makes customers buy another Unit, if needed. That's why I spend most time of my working days in figuring out what piece of a broken Thecus actually is broken, and if time permits I also try to figure out why.

The firmwares ... we had 1.00.12.3 running for over a month. Only problem: the Quota-management still did weird things.
    Now we have 2.00.01 - so far no bad bugs found. I don't know if the Qouta management works now, you probably have to ask my admin Mr. Saenger (he does the phone support on N5200 before I get it into my hands). I know one thing: it's been rewritten in the 2.xx branch.

So don't use quotas if you do not need them really, really badly...
    Hardware mods:

Thread Information