Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thecus n5200 - Files / Folders / Transfer / AD Issues

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: Thecus n5200 - Files / Folders / Transfer / AD Issues

gwoodhouse:
    (isnt that why we are running RAID5 systems?!)
    NO IT's NOT! A RAID is not a backup. A RAID is not a backup. A RAID is not a backup. A RAID is not a backup.

A RAID can also break. It's all about availability. If one of your RAID-drives break, the Data still is available. If you were wise enough to create a RAID 6 even 2 disks may break, while your data was still available. But a RAID is not at all a replacement for backups.
    Even harder: when one disk of an array breaks, the probability of another one breaking soon rises very much, so if you don't backup or replace at the very moment you recognize the broken disk, then you're either stupid or you do not care much about your data.

And besides: a Firmware with 4 version numbers (like 2.00.02.02) is a beta, a Firmware with 3 version numbers (like 2.00.01) is considered stable. But it's not a release unless release notes with the very same version number are published.
    Hardware mods:
    # they void your warranty
    # they may seem to work, but kill your machine later on
    # they are mostly unneeded, because the engineers who built a machine knew what they were doing...

Registered+
    Thanks

Hmmm... thanks for your response..... taken out of context the agrument I was inferring, but anyway...

RAID is used (well, how I use it) to limit a users exposure to a hardware failure (amongst other things)... in my case I can afford a disk to fail and not lose all my data. The data is not that critical that if the array was to be completely lost I couldnt with some time and effort replace anything that was on it, as I do have backup of the critical files (approx 5% of the overall array). I dont see a cost effective method of backing up all the non-critical stuff...

My point was, given the N5200 is a 5 bay system (potential 5Tb RAID0) if the user wants to update the firmware they have to move all thier data off the array, install the firmware, reinitialise the array, then copy all the data back... shifting 4Tb around is going to take a considerable time, just to update the firmware. It seems to be a bit of an ill thought out update approach with no thought to being able to migrate a previous version.

Anyway.......

Registered+
    Thanks

Hi gwoodhouse!

Ok so for n5200pro it is not stable.
    The point is...
    I'm setting up the NAS now...So if this firmare version will we compatible with the next one , and it is "only more or less stable" I can think to update now, that thecus is empty, and then avoid to move all my data.

Do you know if with the official release I should rebuild the raid or not if now I upgrade to 2.00.01?

Thankx
    Zioalex

Registered+
    Thanks

Hi Zioalex...

I updated my 2nd N5200 to the 2.00.01 firmware last night, as I havent got it setup with any disks or an array yet... but the features I have noticed that this version gives you are:-

- Scheduled power on/off timetable under power management
    - Wake-on-Lan option to disable/enable
    - Removal of the option to install a module :-(

I'll be attempting to update my other N5200 to v2.00.01 when I finished copying data across from my old NAS (then copying it all across to the second N5200) and will see if the array is accessible/upgradeable/etc... I'll let you know.

Thanks

Strange - I have updated from FW 1.00.10 to 2.00.01 on a non pro N5200. Data remain there and also the module installation is still there. Updated it and proceeded with using it as before.
    b r
    Peter

Registered+
    Thanks

gwoodhouse:
    OK, so you understood the basic "a RAID is not a backup" thing, but probably not, what RAID0 means - It doesn't work with 5 disks... for further reading: wikipedia.

zioalex:
    there are different firmwares for n5200B(R) and for N5200pro(BR). you actually can use it, but with no warranty from Thecus. The pretty much same version numbers are coincidental (Well, not really, but it's of no concern to you).

gwoodhouse & peterfu:
    Thecus changed a few things regarding the file system management. If you want to profit from those changes, you should do the update like Yvon told. If not, it'll work, but (now I'm guessing) you shouldn't try to run the filesystem-check.
    Hardware mods:
    # they are mostly unneeded, because the engineers who built a machine knew what they were doing...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gwoodhouse View Post
    Hi Zioalex...

I updated my 2nd N5200 to the 2.00.01 firmware last night, as I havent got it setup with any disks or an array yet... but the features I have noticed that this version gives you are:-

- Scheduled power on/off timetable under power management
    - Wake-on-Lan option to disable/enable
    - Removal of the option to install a module :-(

I'll be attempting to update my other N5200 to v2.00.01 when I finished copying data across from my old NAS (then copying it all across to the second N5200) and will see if the array is accessible/upgradeable/etc... I'll let you know.
    I should read more in detail the posts before replying
    You have not build any raid on the box You have upgraded, so the module management option will not be there. It should appear after You have build a Raid, cause module data are stored on the raid.

br
    Peter

Registered+
    Thanks

Hi Stefan,

I do understand what RAID0 means (I have been using a striped RAID0 array on my main PC for several years), but I am not sure what you mean by "It doesnt work with 5 disks"... why wouldnt you be able to stripe data across a 5 disk RAID0 array?

Of course you realise that RAID0 isnt considered a "true" RAID setup as it offers no redundancy, but it is purely there for performance.

Anyway, going back to the v2.00.01 firmware... Whilst the new version seems to be pretty good (my new array just finished initialising this morning), I am disappointed to have lost the Module Management option, as I would like to have added the SSH access to the box. Does anyone know how I can readd this?

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by peterfu View Post
    I should read more in detail the posts before replying
    You have not build any raid on the box You have upgraded, so the module management option will not be there. It should appear after You have build a Raid, cause module data are stored on the raid.

br
    Peter

Typical! In the time it takes me to type a reply out, you have already answered! As I have just said the array finished initalising this morning, so hopefully there will be some more options there when I get back to check tonight...

I hadnt put 2 and 2 together to realise that the module stuff is stored on the array... I'll look into it tonight.

Cheers
    Guy

Registered+
    Thanks

oops, sorry. regarding so many disks I thought of combinations like RAID 0+1 or RAID 10, which goes only with even disk numbers...
    Hardware mods:

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Huebner View Post
    gwoodhouse:
    OK, so you understood the basic "a RAID is not a backup" thing, but probably not, what RAID0 means - It doesn't work with 5 disks... for further reading: wikipedia.

zioalex:
    there are different firmwares for n5200B(R) and for N5200pro(BR). you actually can use it, but with no warranty from Thecus. The pretty much same version numbers are coincidental (Well, not really, but it's of no concern to you).

gwoodhouse & peterfu:
    Thecus changed a few things regarding the file system management. If you want to profit from those changes, you should do the update like Yvon told. If not, it'll work, but (now I'm guessing) you shouldn't try to run the filesystem-check.
    Hi Stefan,
    Ok Thanks for your info.

I think I will do the upgrade now...
    But Can you tell me where can I find the ssh module?

Thankx
    Zioalex

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zioalex View Post
    Hi Stefan,
    Ok Thanks for your info.

I think I will do the upgrade now...
    But Can you tell me where can I find the ssh module?

Thankx
    Zioalex
    A perfect source for modules is the Thecus Wiki:
    http://http://onbeat.dk/thecus/index.php/Main_Page
    br
    Peter

Registered+
    Thanks

Thanks Peter,
    DO you know if Can I use it on 5200BR-Pro too?

Zioalex

Thanks

Most of them Yes - for sure SSHD and SYSUSER - some of the users with a N5200 Pro in the unofficial Thecus user board (http://thecususergroup.proboards106.com) uses them.
    br
    Peter

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Huebner View Post
    But it's not a release unless release notes with the very same version number are published.
    So just to point that out: the latest release for the N5200 is version 1.00.08 dated 14.3.2007!

Andreas

Registered+
    Thanks

Thankx a lot peterfu...SYSUSER and SSHD installed and working on my N5200BR-PRO.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information