Thread: How do I stream my video/avi files from my n5200?

Registered+
    Thanks

How do I stream my video/avi files from my n5200?

I saw the modules out there but they all look like audio file ones....

I notice there is a built-in media server which I can ENABLE in my settings in my 1.00.10 bios and "SCAN" the folder that contains folders of avi files.

How do I access the built-in Media server once I enable it and "scan" folders?

Is it on another port? Do I need to connect through some media player?

I've googled a lot and can't find a lot on "media server" and the n5200...

be gentle.

Thanks

Thanks

Re: How do I stream my video/avi files from my n5200?

You should not google on "media server" and "n5200", but for the different media servers, which are available (mediabolic as build in and some others as modules)
    So. how can You use it:
    You need a proper client to display avi files. There are software clients available - freeware and payware for different platforms, or Hardware clients. Media servers usually braodcast special information within the network and the client then connects to them.
    I use i.e:
    Zensonic Z500 (the company is now called not Ziova) for video streaming to a 50" plasma. Most of the videos are divx or xvid (some are high definition) as I convert everything to that format. For audio streaming I use NOXON - one without speaker, which is connected to my audio hardware and one with a speaker - my audio files are MP3 format.
    Many Hardware or Software clients even don't need a media server, cause thy are able to mount Your NAS directly - mostly via samba, but also via NFS.
    The build in mediabolic media server does not work with my hardware clients, so I use the TWONKYMEDIA module - twonkymedia itself is payware - and this is working perfect in my environment.

The best thing is to search first the clients, which cover Your needs and then check which server they need - if the server is available then you are lucky - if not then search other clients or build your own module with the server needed - thats why I now maintain the TWONKYMEDIA module, which was originally build from omega. There are some hardware clients which only work with proprietory servers - these I would not select, cause the servers are mainly windows based and there is no chance to port them on the N5200. There exists standards UPNP and DNLA, but not every client - who claims it is compatible - works with every server - who claims it is compatible.

br
    Peter

Thread Information