Thread: 5200BR Wan/Lan settings

Thanks

Question 5200BR Wan/Lan settings

Hi,

I'm not quite clear how to setup the Thecus properly so I am using the GB port for the network and devices plugged directly into the lan ports have internet access.

I have a PS3 which I want to connect to the Thecus 5200BR directly, plus I want it to have Internet access.

I have plugged the PS3 directly into one of the 4 ports
    I have also plugged my home network into another one of the 4 ports

This works fine, however, I'm wasting a port. I believe I should be plugging the home network into the single port, and any appliances like the PS3 into the 4-port internal switch. I have had success doing this however, I cannot get the NAT working so the PS3 has internet.

If it is possible, could someone please tell me what settings I should use. Here are my current settings:

I have enabled WAN LAN Exchange

I have configured the following WAN configuration:
    Host Name: N5200
    Domain Name: localhost
    DHCP: Disable
    IP: 192.168.0.43
    Netmask: 255.255.255.0
    Gateway: 192.168.0.1
    DNS Server: 192.168.0.1
    IP Sharing Mode: Disable

I have configured the following LAN configuration:
    IP: 192.168.2.1
    DHCP Server: Disable

My PS3 is configured to use:
    IP: 192.168.0.22
    DNS: 192.168.0.1

My gateway for the internet and DNS is: 192.168.0.1

I do not use DHCP for anything on my network at this time.

Any help appreciated, or if it's not actually possible to use all 5 ports in this manner please let me know.

Thanks in advance,
    - Will

Thanks

Re: 5200BR Wan/Lan settings

Do you have jumbo frames turned on or anything? Have you tried resetting the defaults?

Thanks

Dear Sir,

On theory if WAN port connect to Internet, and we enable the IP Sharing Mode, the PCs from the 4LAN ports should access to the Internet.
    If we use the WAN LAN exchange and PCs plug the 4 WAN ports, these PCs should direct access to the Internet if the WAN port connection to the internet.
    If PS3 can't connect to Internet, please direct link the PS3 from your ADSL modem or Route fro cross test, because if we use the WAN LAN Exchange, it is like the 1 WAN port connect to a 5 ports HUB, from the HUB 1 port linking to N5200 WAN port.

Yvon

Thanks

Hi Yvon,

I understand the theory, but in practice how should I have it setup as far as IPs go? I cannot assign the same WAN/LAN subnet and no matter which I put as the 192.168.0.* network I don't seem to be able to connect to 192.168.0.1 (my internet sharing computer), when my home network is plugged into the single WAN port.

Could you fill this out for me, bearing in mind that my ICS machine is: 192.168.0.1 so this is the gateway to the internet and also the DNS server. I am not using any DHCP services.

WAN CONFIGURATION
    Host Name: N5200
    Domain Name: localhost
    DHCP: Disable
    IP:
    Gateway:
    DNS Server:
    IP Sharing Mode: Enabled

I have configured the following LAN configuration:
    IP:
    DHCP Server: Disable

My PS3 is configured to use:
    IP:
    DNS: 192.168.0.1

Thanks,
    - Will

Thanks

Dear Sir,

Does your environment as like below:

Internet --------PC(ICS)--------N5200 4 WAN PORT------PS3?

If the environment as like above, seem the ICS can't provide the function as like NAT, the port numbers for PLAYSTATION®Network servers used for this are TCP: 80, 443, 5223 and UDP: 3478, 3479, thus following link for your reference:

PS3:

http://manuals.playstation.net/docum...nnectPSNetwork

http://boardsus.playstation.com/play...=1&format=page

XBOX:
    http://www.xbox.com/en-NZ/support/xb...default.htm#q4

Windows:

http://www.chicagotech.net/nat.htm

http://articles.techrepublic.com.com...6-1056226.html

Yvon.
    Last edited by Thecus - Yvon; 04-09-2007 at 11:24 AM.

Registered+
    Thanks

Hi Willk,

If i connect the N5200 Pro and the PS3 to a switch and the switch is connected to a DSL Modem will this work?

Or do I have to buy the Roustor for connecting the PS3 to the NAS?

I hope you can tell me if one works or both, because I already have a 24-port gigabit switch.

Kind Regards.
    Jordi

Thanks

Hi Jordi,
    no, it will not work to connect the switch directly to the DSL modem - the setup could be:

DSL Modem ---- Access Router ----- 24 port switch + here on every port You can plugin Your devices (PS3, PC's, WLAN Access points, N5200,......)

If You have free ports on the access router, then You can also use these ports, but I would assume there are no gigabit ports. The Access router separates the LAN from the WAN and does all the NAT handling. Internal You are communicating via the switch with no router involved.

I would not go for the Roustor, but for a small access router which is able to establish the DSL connection via the modem - preferable with a build in Firewall to secure Your network - there are many on the market.

br
    Peter

PS : I would recommend a similar setup for every home network and not use the build in possibilities of different devices to connect the devices with each other

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by peterfu View Post
    Hi Jordi,
    no, it will not work to connect the switch directly to the DSL modem - the setup could be:

DSL Modem ---- Access Router ----- 24 port switch + here on every port You can plugin Your devices (PS3, PC's, WLAN Access points, N5200,......)

If You have free ports on the access router, then You can also use these ports, but I would assume there are no gigabit ports. The Access router separates the LAN from the WAN and does all the NAT handling. Internal You are communicating via the switch with no router involved.

I would not go for the Roustor, but for a small access router which is able to establish the DSL connection via the modem - preferable with a build in Firewall to secure Your network - there are many on the market.

Although my ADSL modem also has NAT/NAPT/DHCP so I don't understand why not directly connect the switch to the ADSL Modem without using the Router?

br
    Peter

PS : I would recommend a similar setup for every home network and not use the build in possibilities of different devices to connect the devices with each other
    Hi Peter,

As you've read Willk has problems with the PS3 connecting along the Thecus. I'm afraid streaming to the PS3 won't work if I don't buy the Roustor.

At the moment I own a DSL Modem (4 ports) and a Router (4ports) both 100mpbs.

Do you mean I have to connect the separate switch into one of the 4 ports of the Router and the Thecus/PC's/PS3 into the Switch?

I don't understand what a Router does because I think a ADSL modem is the same. Mine ADSL Modem has NAPT/NAt/DHCP etc. and 4 ethernet ports.
    Peter why shouldn't I connect the switch directly to the ADSL Modem?
    Last edited by jordi.c; 04-09-2007 at 03:28 PM.

Thanks

Hi Jordi,
    Ok - then it will work, but You have a router/ADSL modem combination - not just a modem. Just plug in the switch to one of the router ports and then Thecus/PC's/PS3 to the switch - use the WAN port of the Thecus.
    Same for Willk.
    I have a similar setup - Access router, 24 gigabit switch connected to one port of the router and then all connected directly to the switch. I use also streaming from the thecus to some devices and it works.
    Could You post the supplier and type of your ADSL modem - then I can do a quick check on the suppliers web site - if You have a link to users manual that would be great.
    br
    Peter
    Last edited by peterfu; 05-09-2007 at 12:21 AM.

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by peterfu View Post
    Hi Jordi,
    Ok - then it will work, but You have a router/ADSL modem combination - not just a modem. Just plug in the switch to one of the router ports and then Thecus/PC's/PS3 to the switch - use the WAN port of the Thecus.
    Same for Willk.
    I have a similar setup - Access router, 24 gigabit switch connected to one port of the router and then all connected directly to the switch. I use also streaming from the thecus to some devices and it works.
    Could You post the supplier and type of your ADSL modem - then I can do a quick check on the suppliers web site - if You have a link to users manual that would be great.
    br
    Peter
    Hi Peterfu,

This is my modem Alcatel Speedtouch 547 (DHCP on) I filled in NAPT entries default server my Router address (10.0.0.6). This is because I don't have to open ports on the Modem but only in the Router .

The Router is Sitecom DC-202 CLICK HERE (DHCP on).

Peterfu, I am choosing between these two switches;
    -CLICK 3Com
    -CLICK Linksys.

I prefer the 3Com because the dimension is half of the Linksys respectively 17cm and 34cm.
    The brand Cisco (Linksys subdivision) has a very good status although I think both Switches are equal.

Can I let DHCP on the Modem/Router/Switch on?

How can I see if my Harddisks are hotswap?

Jordi.

Thanks

Hi Jordi,
    I dont' find the Speedtouch 547. What I've found is the Speedtouch 546 - so I've checked this one.
    OK - both, the Speedtouch and the Sitecom are xDSL modems with included 4-port routers and firewalls. From some search I found out, that many ISP's brand the speedtouch and do via firmware some restrictions, that it can't be used in multisuser mode (connect more than 1 computer to it)
    What I would do:
    If the speedtouch is multisuser enabled, then us it - if not do a firmware upgrade or a upgrade to a multiuser configuration. If this is not working configure the Sitecom, so You can directly connect it to the ADSL line without the speedtouch. I would only use one of the two - but this one has to be multisuer enabled.
    Then connect the switch (if 3com or Linksys is more or less personal taste - I think they are both OK ) to one port of the access router and then all your computers to the switch ports.

Hotswap? as far as I know SATA disks are all hot swap, but it depends more on the backplane of the device which holds the disk - and the N5200 has a hot swapable backplane.

br
    Peter

Registered+
    Thanks

Thanks for your information.

This weekend I drive to germany to pick up my baby (N5200 Pro) .

I think i know the most important things now to install it properly.

Thanks again everybody!

Thanks

Hi Jordi,

Just on this, I have a basic 100mbps switch and when I was plugging the PS3 into the switch, and then the switch into the WAN port on the Thecus, the PS3 playback would be very choppy. Therefore I plug the PS3 directly into the Thecus device. It works fine, just I have one wasted GB port, and can only use the 4 100mbps ports on the Thecus.

- Will

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by willk View Post
    Hi Jordi,

Just on this, I have a basic 100mbps switch and when I was plugging the PS3 into the switch, and then the switch into the WAN port on the Thecus, the PS3 playback would be very choppy. Therefore I plug the PS3 directly into the Thecus device. It works fine, just I have one wasted GB port, and can only use the 4 100mbps ports on the Thecus.

- Will
    HI Will,

I have a Gigabit Switch this shouldn't be a problem right? If streaming goes chopy that would be a pain in the ass. And spending an extra 80 euro's for something that is probably useless is a waste of money.

Registered+
    Thanks

Tomorrow I drive to germany for a N5200B Pro (300km's).

If the streaming goes choppy (according to Willk) to the PS3 I'm very depressed.

Don't know if I can make the chance to buy the N5200B Pro and not the Roustor.

**Anybody know of this is because Willk use a cheap/slow Switch or it's the PS3 which needs directly connected to the Thecus N5200.
    Last edited by jordi.c; 07-09-2007 at 07:48 PM.

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by willk View Post
    Hi Jordi,

- Will
    Please explain this to me, because it makes no sense!

One wasted GigaBit port? And why are the other ports running at 100mpbs while they're also GigaBit ports???

Thread Information