Thread: Strip size and % used space?

Registered+
    Thanks

Strip size and % used space?

Just upgraded to Firmware 2.00.01 official release (which is fancy and beautiful).

Deleted my old F'd up array and was looking for some recommendations for stripe size and % data used?

I'm going to try 128k and 100% for now, see what happens. If I hear back a convincing reason why I should do anything else before I start copying files back I'll rebuild. I do a lot of large file transfers and streaming of large file video (ripped DVD's, DIVX, multi-gig laptop backups, etc)

Thanks

Thanks

Re: Strip size and % used space?

For your file types I would use a larger stripe. My Thecus holds large video files almost exclusively. These are streamed over gigabit ethernet to Beyond TV clients. I used a 2048K stripe and performance seems excellent. An even larger stripe might help but if you do store a quantity of small files in the array I believe it can waste space.

Registered+
    Thanks

I have so far tried out the following stripe sizes on my two N5200's each with 5x 1Tb disks in them... 128K, 512K and 1024K. My data is mainly taken up by 1Gb+ files with several 20Gb+.

Using the 512 and 1024 settings the performance definitely increased over the 128 and given you are working with large video files I would suggest the 1024 or as Gerhard suggested 2048 might work well.

There are a few good articles (especially one on the Adaptec site) which discuss stripe sizes, but they dont seem to have a definitive "what setting should I use" answer which is what most people are looking for. The general answer seems to be to try out a few different sizes and measure the performance, but given the amount of time it takes to build an array its not practical for most people.

Registered+
    Thanks

eh doesn't really matter anyway, my thecus crashes during formatting of trying to build anything but a JBOD array anyway...

thecus - sigh - a great idea so poorly implemented.
    Last edited by h0mersimps0n; 21-09-2007 at 09:57 PM.

Thread Information