Thread: Backing Up N5200

Thanks

Backing Up N5200

I have a N5200 with 5 750Gb disks as RAID5. It is connected to a small business network with Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP. I use Veritas Backup Exec to backup data from the servers and desktop machines to an LTO2 tape attached to the main sever. My problem is that Backup Exec will only backup from a windows machine or a machine running a Backup Exec agent.

I have tried mapping the shares on the N5200 to drive letters on the server but it appears that Backup Exec will not see these either.

Please - Does anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks

Re: Backing Up N5200

Hello,

I'm also ver interesting if you can manage to backup your NAS using Backup Exec.

On the site below someone have been successfull backing up to an Negear NAS.
    On the last pages the solution is describet.
    It is ome settings in Veritas and some components thats has to be activated.

Edit:
    I can't link to a website since I have not posted enough on the forum.
    Google "Netgear + Backupexec"
    First result is a link to the netgear forum describing how to backup the NAS
    /Edit

Please report to me if you have any success.

Best regards
    Martin

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Blag View Post
    My problem is that Backup Exec will only backup from a windows machine or a machine running a Backup Exec agent.

Please - Does anybody have any suggestions?
    I've successfully run a backup server AhsayOBS on N5200. Please refer to the following post:
    http
    thecususergroup.proboards106.com/index.cgi?board=n5200modifications&action=display&thread=1192012804&page=1#1192158133

Thanks

I'm still at a loss and I'm not sure that people are understanding what I am trying to achieve.

I have an N5200 attached to a network where all the machines are XP and Server 2003. My backup software is Veritas Backup Exec. The Roustor contains lots of bulk data like videos and data files used by various programs on the clients and servers.

I need to backup the data FROM the Roustor TO an ultrium tape drive attached to a Server 2003 machine. The Veritas Backup Exec does not allow this for two resaons. Firstly I have not purchased the remote server license. This is easy but the second reason is that Backup Exec requires me to run an agent on the box being backed up i.e. the Roustor.

This does not seem possible so I have shed loads of data in a pretty box that cannot be backed up.

Thanks

No,

If you follow my other message you will se that I understand you.
    In the other forum they have performed backups FROM a Netgear NAS-unit (like the 5200) even though it is not possible to install any agent on the Nas.

I know that some replies is missunderstood but in the end of the tread there are a solution.

/Martin

Thanks

Hi Blag,

It seems that you are trapped in a situation where your backup agent and backup data is isolated.

I am not providing a solution for the Backup Exec since it is the backup agent running on
    your desktop Windows Machines.

The suggestion i can give here is my experience on the N5200.

From my last post i have mentioned i have installed the AhsayOBS as the backup server on N5200.

Actually, i've also installed the AhsayOBM linux version as a module on N5200, which allows me
    to backup data in my N5200 on path

/raid/data/testing
    /raid/data/usbhdd
    /raid/data/usbcopy

(Actually, those map drive are created under /raid/data)

to the AhsayOBS running on another Linux Server in the LAN area.

Since AhsayOBM Windows Desktop version may also backup mapped drives, i think it is also possible
    to backup N5200 by simply mapping the SMB share as a Windows Local Drive, i.e.

map \\ip.to.thecus\usbhdd to D: (or any drive you like ^_^)

I hope this can help you to find an alternative solution for backup your N5200.

Cheers ~

Thanks

Well, finish testing it out and YES, you can backup the N5200 with Backup Exec without installing the agent.

Here is my test system, Win2003 with BE 10 and 10d, both work. May work with other versions, but did not have to test.

The setting is the same for both of these version, so I would assume that it is the same for the other versions also.

*** NOTE: this is very important *** Although you do NOT need to install the remote agent on the N5200, you MUST have at least one remote agent license loaded on your server or it will not work.

1) Go to "Tools->Options->Network", and place a check on the "Enable Selection of user shares", then click "OK". This is the only thing that needs to be added, you can keep everything else as you normally have it.

2) Make sure that the account used to run Backup Exec has access to the share(s) that you want to backup. You can test this by login into the Windows server with this account and see if you can map a drive to the share in question on the N5200. You do not need to keep the share mapped, just make sure you can get to it with this account.

3) Create a backup job as normal. For your "Source Selections", you can either browse to it with the "Remote Selections" or create a "User Define Selections" for the shares on the N5200 that you want to backup.

4) Go to "Resource Credentials" and run a test verification. You will get two responses, one that is successful and one that complains that the Remote Agent is not installed and that your data will not be protected. This is normal, as there really is no agent installed.

5) Complete your backup job as normal with any schedule you want.

That is it, when you run the backup, it will complete successfully but with exceptions. The exceptions that is generated is just to complain that the Remote Agent is not installed, so you will not be getting the best performance, blah blah blah. Just ignore this as it is valid, but the backup did complete just fine. I tested backing up and restoring from and to the N5200 as well as backing up from the N5200 and restore to the Windows server just to make sure I can get to the data if necessary and it all works just fine.

Hope this helps you.

Teng

Thanks

Thumbs up Re: Backing Up N5200

Thanks to everybody who posted a reply to my question. I have learned a lot more about the topic as a result. Special thanks to KniteOwl - He seems to be correct in saying that we do not need to install the agent on the Thecus box but just registering the Remotes server module will allow me to backup the N5200. Neither Thecus nor Symantec could confirm this and I was not about to pay for the module before I knew for sure.

Now all I have to do is buy a shed load of LTO tapes and setup an incremental system to backup my data.

Thanks again guys.

Thread Information