Thanks
    • onet's system
      • Storage:
      • Thecus N5200 pro with 5x Hitachi 1 TB disks

Lightbulb n5200pro display values, high disk temperatures

My N5200pro (FW: 2.00.1) seems to work well,
    I had only some issues:

1) The HD temperatures (I use Hitachi 1 TB disks) are in my oppinion
    rather high, about 46° C (I replaced the 92 mm silent fan with a Papst)

2) On the display, the system doesn' t show the WAN/LAN IP-address any more
    (I use static IP-adr. for WAN and LAN, i have no problems to use the nas, but the display
    states: WAN: N/A LAN: N/A)

3) I would prefer a more granular RAID / other partion size, why not
    96 % 97%, 98 % 99% ???

Thanks

Re: n5200pro display values, high disk temperatures

Dear Sir,

1. The HDD tempeature also depen on the environment too, from the 7K1000 specification the operating tempeature between 5~60 C.
    http://www.hitachigst.com/tech/techlib.nsf/techdocs/67A68C59B27368FC862572570080FC70/$file/Deskstar7K1000_010307_final.pdf

2. If WAN/LAN show N/A on the LCD, please check the web configuration page->Network->Link Aggregation->Disable.
    if still show N/A, please update to the latest veriosn firmware: http://www.thecus.com/Downloads/N520...de.2.00.01.bin

3. We will forward your suggestion to related department and verify the possiblity for the new version firmware.

Yvon.
    Last edited by Thecus - Yvon; 11-09-2007 at 11:14 AM.

Thanks

Exclamation Re: n5200pro display values, high disk temperatures

Dear Yvon,

I am the administrator for a site using a number of Thecus NAS devices - N5200 and N2100 units.
    I too queried our distibutor (in Australia) regarding the internal temperatures of the systems and the temperatures of the hard disks - each NAS runs 2 or more Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 500GB drives in RAID 1 mirror.

The answer I received was similar the your response to ONET's question, but instead of quoting Drive Manufacturer Specifications incorrectly, it misquoted a GOOGLE-LABS report.

As an Electronics Engineering Professional I have to say that allowing the systems and drives to run at temperatures significantly over 25 deg C will reduce their working life and reliability. Although the HDD operating temps may be quoted at 5~60 C, even the Google-Labs report confims that the higher temps cause significantly higher failure rates.

Just do the maths - if the HDD dissapation is 20 C above ambient (that's what our HDDs in the Thecus NASs are reading) and ambient temp can be 0~40 C, then the HDD temps can easily exceed the a reasonable 40 C and will get to the 60 C limit unless kept in an airconditioned environment or at the North Pole. We have had to upgrade the tiny 40mm fans to 80mm fans using 40~60 and 60~80mm fan adapters, just to keep the HDD temps @40 C in a 20 C office.

I think that as users of the N5200 and N2100 NASs, we should be concerned at the temperatures of the devices and HDDs, the poor cooling that the noisy fans provide, and the quality of the support information.

Thanks

I am running an N5200PRO with 5x1TB disks. Disk temperatures are 47/53/54/51/37 (the 5th disk is a JBOD backup and is usually in standby). Given my concerns with these high temperatures, I have placed a small room fan in front of the unit, which lowers the temperatures to a more reasonable 40/45/46/45/39 (last disk now spun up). Ambient temperature is ~24C.

Thecus claims the fans are speed-sensitive, but my investigations show that they are always ~1100/3200 RPM. These are the speeds when the box boots, and throughout all activity. The PSU fan, running at such a high RPM, makes a very loud turbine-like sound. It is my impression that there is a problem with the fan management system, and that the larger (and quieter) system fan should be running at a higher RPM, with the PSU fan running at a lower (and quieter) speed.

So far all responses from Thecus are that the disks are within specs (I too was quoted the google article). From my experience, running disks at these temperatures is a disaster in the making. I'm sorry to have to say this, but until Thecus provide a solution, I'd recommend anyone considering this product to stay away.

Thanks

Daer Sir,

Current the Thecus NAS & HDD manufacturers provide 2 years warranty at least, even some HDD with 5 years, form the product design we have to decide a best solution for product running well for long run in a reasonable noise & price, thus why N2100 have auto RPM & N5200 have no front panel cover, and provide the spin down function for power saving.
    As we know the tempeature relate to electronic components life, but didn't see NAS or relaed products housing with a refrigerator yet, thus the point is waht is the reasonable range/size or acceptable price, perhaps one day the NAS size as like a 15" CRT monitor inculed with 12" FAN for colling, but the space/noise/dust issue comming up........
    Also if other similary 5 bay NAS have better thermal solution, it is welcome to let Thecus know & we will keeping to improve ourself.

Yvon.
    Last edited by Thecus - Yvon; 28-09-2007 at 07:06 AM.

Registered+
    Thanks

Hello,

I really think it depends on the used harddrives.

At the moment my baby is running with 5x Hitachi T7K500 500GB harddrives (3platters).

Mine temperatures are during normal use are (copy/read) 34/34/35/34/34 degrees. The ambient room temperature is 20 degrees.

I think it is also important the NAS is located in a free area so the airflow can do its job.

My PC is running RAID0 with 2x250GB harddrives. These drives are hitting most of the time 38 degrees. The case has 1x80mm front fan/ 1x80mm side fan/ 1x80mm outtake fan.

KR.
    Jordi

Thanks

My N5200 is populated with 5x750 Seagate 7200.10 drives. I was seeing temps in the high 40's and low 50's. For some reason, the Info module will not show my Fan1 speed. Fan2 was generally in the high 2,000 rpm range.

I set the Disk Power Management to 30 minutes but that doesn't seam to work as the disk temps stayed the same even after a prolonged period with no access activity. I am on Firmware 1.00.08.

So I did some research and found that my unit had a 92mm Adda AD0912DX-A76GL fan. The specs on it from www . addausa . com/model_index.pdf show it as an ultra slow speed (1600 rpm) fan rated at 28.0 cfm and 22 dB/A.

I replaced it with a Vantec TF9225 Thermaflow which has an integrated temperature sensor/speed controller. it will run 1850-3100 rpm and is rated at 34.8 - 58.5 cfm with 20 - 40 dB/A. Both fans were installed to exhaust air from the Thecus case. One thing I noticed while replacing the fan is that the drive cage in the N5200 really has no provision for flow through. There is air space around the outside of the cage but the back of it is pretty much sealed up.

My drives now run in the mid 40's showing about 4-6 degree lower temps. Fan2 now runs in the low 2,000 rpm range. I would like to get the Disk Power Management to work so I may try a Firmware upgrade. If that is not successful, Vantec has model TD9238H 4800 rpm, 119 cfm that I may try (56.4 dB/A !).
    Last edited by gerhard911; 29-09-2007 at 09:29 PM.

Thread Information