Thread: best way to backup laptop onto n5200

Thanks

best way to backup laptop onto n5200

Apologies if this is obvious, I'm having some trouble getting my laptop to successfully use my N5200 as a backup device.

Home setup as follows: internet->linksys wireless G router;
    router hard wired to 2 desktop PCs and also the N5200
    router wirelessly connects to laptop

Clearly I don't want to backup over the wireless network - too slow and unreliable, so I've tried two methods, failed at both!

First method: physically connected laptop to network. No spare ports available on the linksys, so I plugged into one of the 4 ports at the back of the thecus. Result: laptop couldn't secure an IP address. Currently the linksys manages DHCP, the thecus does not have this function enabled (nor have I tried it). My networking skills aren't too clever - I had assumed that I'd get the IP address from the linksys router even though I'm connected via the Thecus? Is that how it should work?

Second method: Eventually gave up and tried to connect the laptop and thecus directly, used the firewire/usb lead that is supplied with the thecus, connected firewire to thecus, usb to laptop. Thecus configured so that 5% storage is available for USB storage. Laptop detects the thecus device but then gives an error indicating it could not initialise the mass storage device. I'm not even sure it's supposed to work in that way.

So.... what's the best/correct way to get this laptop to connect? I was rather hoping to use an ethernet cable, but I'd settle for a USB connection, or even a piece of wet string if it works!

Thanks in advance
    sp.

Thanks

Re: best way to backup laptop onto n5200

Hi sparkle999,
    I do backup my laptop via WLAN G-Standard and its working fine.
    To connect Your Laptop to one of the LAN ports of the N5200 You have to enable DHCP for the LAN ports, You have then a seperate subnet for the laptop and you can access the N5200 from the laptop (assuming here that the N5200 is connected via WAN port to the linksys).
    My preferred network archhitecture is in any way to have a seperate switch connected to the router and then connect the switch with one port to the router and connect all other components direct to the switch - if You have then a gigibait swith you have gigabit connections between your computers (of course if the computers have gigabit network cards) - DHCP is the served from your linksys router.
    br
    Peter

Thanks

Re: best way to backup laptop onto n5200

Quote Originally Posted by peterfu View Post
    Hi sparkle999,
    I do backup my laptop via WLAN G-Standard and its working fine.
    I did tried this initially, however some time into the backup the laptop lost the connection to the NAS box... In fact, I think i've bricked my router - perhaps foolishly I kicked off full backups of both hard-wired PCs, and the wireless laptop. I kind of knew this would congest the network, but the poor little router has had a nervous breakdown... I think it overheated - my subsequent tests show that whilst DHCP functionality is still working and the wired switch/routing is okay, the wireless transmitter now has over 50% errors when transmitting. This is having placed it on the desktop next to the wireless client. It's definitely goosed Ah well it *was* ancient I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by peterfu View Post
    My preferred network archhitecture is in any way to have a seperate switch connected to the router and then connect the switch with one port to the router and connect all other components direct to the switch - if You have then a gigibait swith you have gigabit connections between your computers (of course if the computers have gigabit network cards) - DHCP is the served from your linksys router.Peter
    I've bitten the bullet, (given the above!), and ordered an 8 port gigabit switch (Netgear GS108) which should give plenty of headroom, also a replacement wireless router (d-link DIR-655). I'll wall mount the switch and wire it up in the way you suggested.

Finally, thanks for taking the time and trouble to respond, your advice has been appreciated
    Regards
    sp.

Thread Information