Thread: N4100+ Strange issues

Nim
    Thanks

Question N4100+ Strange issues

Well, trying to read / write from this unit, whether by AFP or SMB has been pure pure pure pure rubbish. Reading has a maximum of barely 1 Mb/s, and write is even worse. I'm very very disappointed by this product. However, those were issues with Firmware revision 2.0.03. So, looking around, I bumped into firmware 2.0.04.3 beta, - so I upgraded to it, and fortunately, performance improved to almost 2Mb read and still under 1Mb writing whether under AFP or SMB, it doesn't matter both are under performers, and to copy 24GB via a 100MB network will take 17 hours onto a RAID 5 SMB connection, an AFP connection would take more than 50 Hours.

Looking into this unit, - apparently it's got a RealTek RTL-8169 Gigabit Ethernet driver, - which according to some linux threads has got speed issues.

I'm wondering, when Thecus will be upgrading their firmware, to actually resolve the unit's performance issues, or if they can advise their customers on what they can do to have their unit functioning as a NAS should be. At present, trying to play a movie from the unit, is intermittent - it hangs for a second or two to buffer up again to play the film.

Setup is a MAC computer connecting to an N4100+ unit through a 100MB switch.

Would running Debian on this box provide a better performance out of it, if so, can someone provide a guide!

Thecus or anyone out there, - please provide an advise to improve this box!!! After spending 700AUD, I hope it's not a dud-box!

Oooooh, btw, would replacing the 128MB RAM module have any improvement in its performance, the maximum number of clients for this box could be 4!!!

Thanks

Re: N4100+ Strange issues

Dear Sir,

If your N4100+ RIAD is rebilding complete and performance still with this issue, please update to beta version V2.0.04.3 and than mail the CONF.BIN to support@thecus.com for us analysis, this veriosn add the debug message.

http://www.thecus.com/Downloads/beta...W.2.0.04.3.bin

Yvon.

Thread Information