Thread: Teething troubles

Thanks

Unhappy Teething troubles

hi all, first post, so please forgive any noob questions.

Got my Thecus (5200BR pro) a week or so back, packed it with terabyte drives (lovely) and configured it "just so" so that I can use it to store my digi photos and stream to my 'ahem' unmodified xbox. A few details as follows:
    - default 95% to NAS, 4% to USB & 1% to iscsi
    - created two groups, Read and Write and created a 'media' user and a 'NAS' user and added them to the groups respectively.

I've installed the (prerequisite ;-) SSHD, sysuser,utils and firefly modules but have some questions where my linux/unix skills fall down.

1.) Firefly will only run if I have the folder shared as public. Does anyone know the chmod/chown or other way to give permissions to nobody for my shared music folder ?

2.) My authentication doesn't seem to work. I put the thecus in the same workgroup as my home pc (imaginatively named 'home'). I have the same username set up on the xp box and Thecus, but whilst I can log in to the thecus using that username and password I can't map a SMB share to it. Any ideas ?

3.) the logging seems very poor, no security or useful information on it, does anyone know how to turn the logging state up and down ?

4.) Anyone know what I need to do to get my USB Brother 1430 laser printer working ?, it's coming up as undetected (maybe the same security issue ?)

5.) Is there actually any point to the LAN/WAN port (apart from Jumbo frames) ? why would I use this as a router when I already have an adsl router ? If I was going to do this, why wouldn't I just want to use it as a 4 port switch ? I'm confused around the benefits of the whole routing module jobbie.

anyway, I ask too many questions. Any help would be appreciated.

cheers
    Simon
    PS. Omega (if you read this post), awesome mod's thanks for sharing them with us.
    Last edited by simonmcnair; 17-11-2007 at 02:35 PM. Reason: spelling, darn it

Thread Information