Thread: N5200 WOL and unrelated Web folder question

Registered+
    Thanks

Question N5200 WOL and unrelated Web folder question

Hello all, I have a n5200 Pro and my question is whether Wake On LAN is tied specifically to the LAN port or WAN port, or both? I have configured my magic packet utility to hit either MAC address and the unit does not wake up. With a protocol analyzer I can see that the packet is indeed arriving.

Also, and apologies for the basic nature of this question, but what is the URL to access web folders? I have this service enabled but I can't find an obvious method to access the shares (using SMB only, public access).

Thanks,

Mickey

Thanks

Re: N5200 WOL and unrelated Web folder question

Hi,

I didn't check with the LAN port but it works with the WAN port of my N5200 PRO.
    You enabled the WOL option in the settings? The default is disabled.

Thanks

Daer Sir,

Please enable the WOl function from web configuratin page : SYSTEM->WAKE UP ON LAN->ENABLED.
    and WOL fnction should from the WAN port connection.

Yvon.

Thanks

Is the WOL feature only on the N5200 Pro. I have the N5200BR and do not have SYSTEM->WAKE UP ON LAN option. I have tried different firmware and am on 2.00.01 now and still do not have the option. I can manually get to the WOL menu however with <N5200_IP>/adm/getform.html?name=wol but even after I click on the Enable option, I am unable to wake the N5200BR. It does not look like there is power to the Lan or Wan ports.

thanks

Thanks

Dear Sir,

N5200 & N5200 PRO using same version firmware, system would identify hardware and provide peroper web page, thus why N5200 without the WOL page.

Yvon.

Thanks

Hi!

According to the specs this is a PRO feature only.
    When the WOL option is enabled the port LED on the front stays illuminated while the unit is off.
    Perhaps there's no power cable between the network ports and the PSU in the non-PRO versions.

Registered+
    Thanks

Ok, got this working so giving back to the community. Per the posts by Yvon and Jetson, to use the WOL feature you must use WAN port only. In fact, per my testing, the LAN port cannot be connected at all for this feature to function. If you do not see the WOL option, then my guess is your hardware does not support the feature and the firmware is smart enough to detect that and not provide a user interface (I bought my n5200 pro 5 weeks ago so it is a fairly new device).

If WOL is working properly, then after the device is shut down you will see network activity blink the WAN led as if the device was still on.

For those new to WOL, just any traffic will not wake up a device. You must send it a "magic packet" which contains the MAC address. I use a handy utility wikipedia directed me to on the AMD site. Hexus prevented me from posting the URL (need 5 prior posts as an anti SPAM feature), but search for WOL from wikipedia and you can get a pointer to the utility.

For new n5200 owners with dual ports, the manual is not clear here so I will save you some time by suggesting you ignore the LAN port completely unless you are connecting to multiple subnets or want to use Link Aggregation (not sure why you would ever use this, the drives will be a bottleneck way before a gigabit link is saturated).

Hope this helps.

So on the other topic, anyone have any hints about the URL I need to do to access the webdisk feature? I have both http and https enabled but not sure what URL to use.

Mickey

Thanks

Your post is already a little over a month old but since I stumbled across it (because I have some Webdisk Problems of my own) and nobody else answered I will be happy to help. The url you need is the same you use for the admin interface. If you enter a users login/pw instead of admin/something you will have access to your webdisk!

Kind regards, Thomas

Registered+
    Thanks

Thomas, can't thank you enough. So simple, yet lots of time spent trying to figure this out to no avail.

For the non technical users who come across this, specify another user instead of admin when you log into the unit. This will be a user you created earlier in the users section, or an active directory user with permissions to the share. Navigate to folders and the share you are interested in to see your files. The URL you see in the browser is the way to directly access the share in the future.

Sweet. Now I can provide access for my MAC users without enabling AFS protocol.

Thanks much Thomas!

Mickey

Thread Information