Thread: N2100 vs N4100+

Thanks

N2100 vs N4100+

I am a home user looking for a good NAS that I can backup all of my music, videos, and other important files on. Right now, I have about 500GB of music alone, so I am looking for a solution that will give me, at a minimum, 750 GB (I would ultimately like 1TB+).

My basement is wired with Cat5e (this is where most of my computers reside). Anything upstairs runs off of my wireless "G" network. I have a wire closet in my house, so noise & air flow is not an issue. I am not looking to use a lot of the advanced administration features of any NAS I purchase. I am going to keep things about as basic as possible. I have a network printer, so I will not need the print server feature. I have both Mac & PC machines at home, and I plan on mapping drives directly to the NAS as opposed to using the HTTP client. I have zero Linux knowledge & I have no plans of ever putting any Linux boxes on this network.

For the N2100, the pro is that it is cheap, compact, and has received fantastic reviews. The con is that it is plastic & not metal, it only supports RAID 0 & RAID 1, & it only holds two drives.

For the N4100+ the pro is that it has 4 hot swappable drive bays, it supports up to RAID 5, and it appears to be constructed a lot better (metal case). The con is that it has received spotty reviews and it costs more (not only for the unit, but to buy 4 drives vs 2).

Right now Newegg.com has the N2100PM for $279.99, the N2100BM for 297.99, and the N4100+ for $409.99.

Based on everything I listed above, is the N4100+ overkill for home use? Is the $409 price on the N4100+ too good of a deal to pass up? Would I be better off just going with the N2100?

Also, is the "PM" & "BM" just the outside finish of Pearl or Black?

Thanks for your help!

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: N2100 vs N4100+

not that it'll help much, but if you're after 1TB ish...

how much does 2x1TB drives (raid 1 - 1TB) cost versus 4x500gb (raid 5 = 1.5TB) assuming you want safe data.

I'm happy with the N4100+ (upgraded from a 2100), anything it doesn't support that I want, I add .

No real problems with it except I couldn't get my scanner to work with it (I had my scanner on the 2100 as a network scanner) (they never said it would though).

Thanks

Meathead -

You seem to be in the same situation as I. I am looking for a similar solution and considering N2100 as the box. I have read a number of posting which claims performance to be "dog" slow. I guess I am not sure what "slow" constitutes. I plan to use the N2100 for an iTunes server as well as a device that can backup my files reliably. Granted, a number of these posting were from 2006 so thigns may have changed.

If anyone who owns the N2100 and can comment on it's performance, I'd be much appreciated. I just purchased two WD 500Mb SATAII drives in anticipation of purchasing the N2100. I checked the tested list and the model numbers do not exactly match albeit close.

Secondly, a website called eAegis.com sell this unit for $259.00 (new) but it seems to be 'bundled' with a product called 'mediabolic' for it's media server capability. Is this a native application for the N2100 or something special just offered by eAegis? I can call them but it's the weekend and no one is home.

I keep going back & forth on whether to purchase this product as I hate to drop $500USD to be disappointed.

Thanks to anyone who can comment.
    bogey11

Thanks

Hey Meathead -

You can purchase the N2100 for $259USD at eAegis.com if you are interested. I just did.

bogey11

Thread Information