Thread: easy off-site backup

Thanks

easy off-site backup

I'm considering a N4100. I want to provide my client an easy way to take a copy of their data offsite.

Let's say I create a RAID 1 with THREE drives. Can my client simply pull drive #3 out and take it home, while putting in a new drive in it's place? Will the drive he pulls contain a complete set of data, and will this be accessible if he connects the drive to his home computer? And will the N4100 automatically mirror the data onto the new drive?

Is there some other way to easily take a copy of the RAID 1 data offsite?

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: easy off-site backup

Though I am not an expert in NAS, I wouldn't use an N4100 for the purpose you mentioned.

Your requirement would mean you have 2 N4100 units e.g. one in the office and one at home -I've supposed you intend to use that in a PC/WIndows environment, right?

Anyway, if you want to have such a solution, it means at 1st sight, you don't have TB of data: 500GB?

I would then rather go for an iSCSI solution that you can transfer quite easily between PCs: for instance 2 external -networked- drives that can be mirrored and sync automatically.

FreeCom have that kind of stuff with all the required drivers to do so.

Patrice

I have forgotten to mention, that RAID 1 will not work with 3 or 4 disks. That'll work only with 2 disks: that one is a definitive one!
    Last edited by itlity; 12-01-2008 at 11:05 AM. Reason: RAID1 with 3 disks

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by itlity View Post
    I have forgotten to mention, that RAID 1 will not work with 3 or 4 disks. That'll work only with 2 disks: that one is a definitive one!
    This is NOT true: you can create a RAID1 with any number of hard disks greater or equal to two.

Andreas

Registered+
    Thanks

I tried and I got confirmation from TheCus support that the N4100 does not support RAID1 beyond 2 HDDs. My ticket No #BJV-32217-566 got the following reply:

N4100 series NAS can only create a single RAID array. Therefore it can only create a single RAID1 Array.

In order to use 4 drives with N4100 series NAS, will have to be setup for RAID 5.

Best Regards !

Thecus Support English Team

Registered+
    Thanks

Don't call me picky, but you said "that RAID 1 will not work with 3 or 4 disks" and therefore I said this is generally not true. Haven't recognised that you meant it specifically for the N4100....

I didn't knew that the N4100 isn't able to create a 4 disk RAID1 array - btw. did you really try?

The answer from Thecus is somehow vague: they are telling, that you can only create ONE raid array - fine.
    But a 4 disk RAID1 array is just a single array.

Andreas

Registered+
    Thanks

[Removed because of duplicate post.]

Registered+
    Thanks

No need for , there is no risk of !

I just hope, this will save a few hours to some others.

I actually tried and as you always suspect you're wrong when using for the 1st time a new product, I even tried twice before raising the point to TheCus.

The product is well fitted to our requirements but here again the doc is very light to say the least.

Patrice

Thread Information