Thread: N299 and maybe a little security problem

Thanks

Question N299 and maybe a little security problem

Hello!

I bought a N299 and installed the latest firmware 1.00.24. after some configuration i found a nice "feature" (and also all other problems described in this forum :-/ ):

http : // xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx / raid
    xxx ist your n299 ip and all without space, but urls require a minimum of 5 posts

this url shows a page with all files, stored on the n299. you dont need a password to download anything. ok, i think you had to klick on each single file and you cant delete anything, but its just it works on lan and wan over a router. a friend tryed it over wan and he see all folders and download all files he wanted (protected and/or hidden=not public).

if you use the userinterface, everybody can see, that it is a n299 device, and so its easy to use this bug (or whatever u will call that).

the next problem i found is the image gallery: there is a new gallery for each created user but the gallery is still there, if the user is deleted and it is empty is there an option to delete the user gallery folder?

maybe anybody could post some ideas, how to fix it or maybe its only a problem with my n299. best fix is, not turn it on, because the hdd temperatur is just right for a coffee warmer :-/

sorry about my really bad english and mistakes, hope you understand it

Thanks

Re: N299 and maybe a little security problem

Thanks

Hi There

Version 26 is not yet on the Thecus web page - is there a change log with it?

Thanks

Dear Sir,

The release note would publish later, thus version unify the beep sound and fix folder list issue mainly.

Yvon.

Thanks

hi...
    i try also and is true....i use the 1.xx024...
    so is better to download the newest 1.xx.26 but what happen at the permission, and other things...?

thank's

roberto

Registered+
    Thanks

Hi

Please help i am entirely confused - i tried to download this firmware .26 version - but my pc does not recognise the format of the BIN file and the other one does not link to a download.

Can anyone tell me onc i download the software where should i put it? onto my PC or onto the N299. If on the N299 then how do i get it on there as my network is not detecting the N299.

I have wired it into my router - hope this is correct and the orange light goes on for 1 minute (ish) then the unit beeps but nothing happens.

Also can you tell me if it will erase the data i already have on one of these drives?

Thanks

Paddy

Registered+
    Thanks

Hi Paddy,
    I am afraid the firmware upgrade will at the moment be of no use for you. First you have to be able to access the n299 within your network. Your description shows normal operation, after the beep the n299 should be operational but will of course do nothing by his own. Perhaps something in "http ://thecususergroup.proboards106.com/index.cgi?board=n299installations&action=display&thread=1999" may be helpful. Delete the space needed to post the link.

Regarding the firmware: Download it by right clicking the first download link mentioned above and "save target". You will then have the file with extension bin in your download directory (remember where you pointed the download to). Login to the n299, change to system - firmware upgrade, choose the downloaded file and the upgrade will commence. Of course at first you have to be able to reach the n299 within your network... The second file is only needed to check the firmware file.

If you already have data on the drives you want to use in the n299 I would strongly advise to back it up and eventually restore it after completing the install of the n299 (including the production ot the raid and the firmware upgrade). I don't think the date will survive this.

Bye
    Peter

Thread Information