Thread: Mapping the Thecus

Registered+
    Thanks

Mapping the Thecus

Hello,
    I just got the Thecus up and running. That being said, I am disappointed by the web interface. I would like to map the drive over the net, but am having considerable trouble doing it... I followed the instructions given me to the letter and XP says the share doesn't exist. Is there something that isn't written in the instructions that I am supposed to do? If I am forced to use this with the web gui it will become an expensive paper-weight I am sure. I need to avoid this.
    Thanks for the help,
    Paul

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: Mapping the Thecus

I would suggest you try to give a more detailed description of your environment. There is a vast world of possible mis-configurations here!

I would check first that your TheCus NAS and you PC are set up in a consistent way, network wise: what IP addresses and mask do they have? Can you open a cmd windows and try to ping your NAS from your XP machine?

When you set up your shared directories on the NAS, have you ensured they have, if any, an Access Control List which is not empty?

When you try to map your XP machine, what do you do? Any pop-up message from Windows?

Patrice

Registered+
    Thanks

Fine,
    Just got the brick... Plugged it in and turned it on and cannot get on the internet and thecus at the same time, I connect through PPPoE connection so I am not sure on that one.
    More importantly, when I connect to thecus through lan (minus internet) it takes about thirty to forty-five seconds for each page to go to the next, even when just viewing (because I can't get the damn thing to do anything else)! Where on earth can I get a comprehensive guide to this thing? I bought this instead of the Drobo because I knew I would eventually want to hook this up to my tv to have a media server...
    I just read that iSCSI may be the answer to the slow assed lan, but when I put in the target IP it can't find a damn thing either. I would really like to figure this **** out so I don't have to return it...
    Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am near to seeing how far I can throw a brick!!!
    Paul

Does he need a reason? Funkstar's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Funkstar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte EG45M-DS2H
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core2Quad Q9550 (2.83GHz)
      • Memory:
      • 8GB OCZ PC2-6400C5 800MHz Quad Channel
      • Storage:
      • 650GB Western Digital Caviar Blue
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 512MB ATI Radeon HD4550
      • PSU:
      • Antec 350W 80+ Efficient PSU
      • Case:
      • Antec NSK1480 Slim Mini Desktop Case
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Ultimate 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407 + 2408 monitors
      • Internet:
      • Zen 8mb

there is no need to get angry here. We will try and help you as best we can, thecus will also help once they see the thread.

But you will need to give us more details.

Which NAS do you have?
    How is your network configured?
    How have you connected it to the network?

There are two possible scenarios to your problem. Either there is a network and NAS configuration issue which we can work out and get sorted. Or the unit is faulty, in that case it can be replaced under warrantee from your supplier. this is not normal behaviour and is not an inherent problem with any of the Thecus products that i know of. So no need to go throwing it

(If you really do want to throw it like a brick, how about throwing it back into the packaging and sending it to me, i'll look after it )

Registered+
    Thanks

I'm sure this thing will be great once I get it all figured out... But the documentation does suck, which just makes it that much more difficult to actually get up and running...
    Paul

Thanks

Hi Paul,
    instead of claiming in every post about documentaition it would be a good idea to answere the questions and give us a little bit more information as it was requested here already.
    1) Which NAS do You have ?
    2) Which FW Version ?
    3) How do You connect the different boxes ?
    br
    Peter

Registered+
    Thanks

Hello,
    I bought the N5200BR Pro, and I upgraded the firmware to N5200_N5200PRO_FW_2.00.04, and I have my laptop connected to the box via cat5 cable. Correct me if I am wrong, but since the 5200br Pro has a built in switch, shouldn't I be able to connect directly in this manner (no router or switch between the laptop and 5200)? After being on mission for the past few days, I know that I want to just connect to the n5200 by mapping the drive as a network drive. It just seems that it would be the best choice for me.
    Thanks for the help,
    Paul

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pmac3072 View Post
    Fine,
    Just got the brick... Plugged it in and turned it on and cannot get on the internet and thecus at the same time, I connect through PPPoE connection so I am not sure on that one.
    Hmmmm, do you use a DSL router or something else? If yes, is it possible that this device has the same IP address as by default the Thecus? (I had the similar trouble with a manageable switch which had out-of-the-box the same default IP as my router has - had immediately no Internet access any more temporarily and had to unplug the router to access the switch just for changing its IP.)
    Quote Originally Posted by pmac3072 View Post
    More importantly, when I connect to thecus through lan (minus internet) it takes about thirty to forty-five seconds for each page to go to the next, even when just viewing (because I can't get the damn thing to do anything else)!
    (minus internet) does it mean you unplug your DSL router? OK, if I'm right, then the Thecus box would be the only device with that IP address and then it might of course work. The slowness might happen because I assume this unhappily shared IP-Address is configured as standard gateway for internet access which might interfere with the "normal" access to the Thecus box.

I assume you know how to change the Thecus box IP address by using the LCD display.

Best wishes
    Matthias

Registered+
    Thanks

No, I haven't got it hooked to my net, besides that IP is 10.5.xxx.xxx, so there is no similarity... I just meant that when I connect to the N5200BR Pro, I disconnect the internet.
    Thanks,
    Paul

Registered+
    Thanks

Hi Paul,

When you mentioned PPPoE, that struck a chord. Are you by any chance using cable for your internet access?

That may not matter, but if so, I believe you are losing internet access because whatever acts as your gateway to the internet, such as a cable modem, may be disrupted by the Thecus because it starts a DHCP server and tries to act as the gateway for any connected devices.

Here are some things you could try...
    1) If you are using a cable modem, get yourself a router. This will act as your gateway and provide you with a private network. You can then plug your PC and the Thecus into the router. This will hide your PC behind a NAT and usually includes a hardware based firewall to protect you from internet nasties.
    2) plug your PC directly into the thecus. configure the WAN configuration to disable DHCP on the Thecus. Assign the gateway and dns server fields to the IP address of your router, and enable IP sharing mode. That last bit will allow any PC's plugged into the router to access the internet through the built in switch of the thecus and then out to the router.

Hope that makes sense.
    Mike

Registered+
    Thanks

Hi Funkstar - Can we create a Thecus how-to wiki somewhere? I'm willing to test/contribute/edit, etc.

When I stumbled across the NAS box, I have some idea on how NAS works and the general understanding of my network. But apparently, not everyone is on the same level. I agreed the documentation that came with the NAS box is suck because Thecus must had made a general assumption that there customers are storage and network experts!

thanks.

Thanks

The problem is probably because your dsl router or whatever is configured with a gateway ip address for the LAN that is the same as the IP address on the port that you are connecting to on the Thecus

Does he need a reason? Funkstar's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Funkstar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte EG45M-DS2H
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core2Quad Q9550 (2.83GHz)
      • Memory:
      • 8GB OCZ PC2-6400C5 800MHz Quad Channel
      • Storage:
      • 650GB Western Digital Caviar Blue
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 512MB ATI Radeon HD4550
      • PSU:
      • Antec 350W 80+ Efficient PSU
      • Case:
      • Antec NSK1480 Slim Mini Desktop Case
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Ultimate 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407 + 2408 monitors
      • Internet:
      • Zen 8mb

Quote Originally Posted by rhumba View Post
    Hi Funkstar - Can we create a Thecus how-to wiki somewhere? I'm willing to test/contribute/edit, etc.

When I stumbled across the NAS box, I have some idea on how NAS works and the general understanding of my network. But apparently, not everyone is on the same level. I agreed the documentation that came with the NAS box is suck because Thecus must had made a general assumption that there customers are storage and network experts!

thanks.
    Might not be a bad idea. I'm sure we could put something together and ge them made into Stickies at the top of the forum or something.

There is already the support forums here, the user group and the module Wiki. All in seperate places. I'd love it if the user group was moved here (for one the forum software is much better)

You have to remember though, the N5200 is one of their profesional series of NAS units so there is an expectation that the people spending £500+ on a device will either have an idea about where this goes in their current network setup, or are at least willing to learn a bit to get everything working as they want.

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Funkstar View Post
    Might not be a bad idea. I'm sure we could put something together and ge them made into Stickies at the top of the forum or something.

There is already the support forums here, the user group and the module Wiki. All in seperate places. I'd love it if the user group was moved here (for one the forum software is much better)

You have to remember though, the N5200 is one of their profesional series of NAS units so there is an expectation that the people spending £500+ on a device will either have an idea about where this goes in their current network setup, or are at least willing to learn a bit to get everything working as they want.
    Very true!

Thread Information