Thread: Off the deep end...

Registered+
    Thanks

Off the deep end...

Okay,
    Before I go off the deep end and return this NAS, can someone answer a few small questions?

1. Can I play music and movies to my home stereo and tv with this nas (this was the primary use this nas was purchased for)?
    2. Will I be forced to buy more software to do so, and if so, can you suggest what to use?
    3. While using it for entertainment purposes, will I still be able to keep my personal data onboard and retrieve/manipulate as needed?
    4. Do I have to split up the amount of data space to use iSCSI/Gigabit/USB connections or is there a way to get them all to use the same pool of data?
    5. I noticed when I tried to upload a file through the lan connection it would only allow a file, not a folder, and it could only be a max of 1Gig. Since I want to add folders with more than 1 Gig and many files/folders within, how do I manage this? I have one file of MP3s with 245Gigs of music, there is no way I would ever have the time to sit down and go through file by file adding these things...
    Please help...
    Thanks,
    Paul

Does he need a reason? Funkstar's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Funkstar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte EG45M-DS2H
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core2Quad Q9550 (2.83GHz)
      • Memory:
      • 8GB OCZ PC2-6400C5 800MHz Quad Channel
      • Storage:
      • 650GB Western Digital Caviar Blue
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 512MB ATI Radeon HD4550
      • PSU:
      • Antec 350W 80+ Efficient PSU
      • Case:
      • Antec NSK1480 Slim Mini Desktop Case
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Ultimate 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407 + 2408 monitors
      • Internet:
      • Zen 8mb

Re: Off the deep end...

you haven't stated which thecus NAS you have, but as you mension iSCSI I'll assume it is the N5200Pro

Quote Originally Posted by pmac3072 View Post
    1. Can I play music and movies to my home stereo and tv with this nas (this was the primary use this nas was purchased for)?
    Not directly with the NAS no. Although your media can be stored on it and played across the network using either a PC or a media player box connected to your TV and/or stereo. There are loads of these, and it really depends what functionality you need and how much mony you want to spend on it.

2. Will I be forced to buy more software to do so, and if so, can you suggest what to use?
    If you use a PC connected to your TV, you don't need to buy software, there are loads of free Open Source projects out there that will act as a media center type interface to your media. have a look at MEDIAPORTAL - free MediaCenter HTPC Software - Home for n example.

3. While using it for entertainment purposes, will I still be able to keep my personal data onboard and retrieve/manipulate as needed?
    Files are files. So you can have media on there as well as docments... and any other files you wish.

4. Do I have to split up the amount of data space to use iSCSI/Gigabit/USB connections or is there a way to get them all to use the same pool of data?
    Both iSCSI and th RAID volumes are accessed over the gigabit connction. any eSATA and USB volumes attached to the NAS have to be seperate, there is no way to make them appear as part of the same poolof data.

5. I noticed when I tried to upload a file through the lan connection it would only allow a file, not a folder, and it could only be a max of 1Gig. Since I want to add folders with more than 1 Gig and many files/folders within, how do I manage this? I have one file of MP3s with 245Gigs of music, there is no way I would ever have the time to sit down and go through file by file adding these things...
    Not sure whre you are getting the 1GB limit from. How o you have this set up? the format of the RAID array shouldn't have any file size limits and mapping the array as a network drive in windows will let you drag and drop the files onto th device like you would with an external USB drive etc.

Hope this helps.

Registered+
    Thanks

I have the N5200BR Pro, I wanted to get the one with the most stuff on in "just in case" I decided I wanted to use the features rather than needing the feature and not having it...
    Paul

Registered+
    Thanks

It is the WebGUI that tells me that I cannot load more than 1Gig per file with it.
    Paul

Does he need a reason? Funkstar's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Funkstar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte EG45M-DS2H
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core2Quad Q9550 (2.83GHz)
      • Memory:
      • 8GB OCZ PC2-6400C5 800MHz Quad Channel
      • Storage:
      • 650GB Western Digital Caviar Blue
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 512MB ATI Radeon HD4550
      • PSU:
      • Antec 350W 80+ Efficient PSU
      • Case:
      • Antec NSK1480 Slim Mini Desktop Case
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Ultimate 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407 + 2408 monitors
      • Internet:
      • Zen 8mb

And that is probably a limitation of the web gui as opposed to the NAS itself

In fact I know it is. I have several files far greater than 1GB each on my N5200.

Thanks

Dear Sir,

If via web disk to uploading file, web page would show 1GB limitation for early browser issues, here we could recommend via SMB/CIFS=NETWORK NEIGHBORHOOD mothod to transfer file.
    but we must confirm your PC & N5200 at same IP segment, as like PC=192.168.1.111 N5200=192.168.1.100, and we just type //192.168.1.100 on the Internet explorer address line, and than systm would list the folder from the N5200.

Yvon.

Thread Information