Thread: N5200Pro: meaning of orange DOM LED?

Thanks

N5200Pro: meaning of orange DOM LED?

My N5200PRO was working fine all day. As part of my nightly routine, I shut it off by hitting the power button. The NAS was not in use.

I noticed the top LED (manual refers to it as the DOM LED) turn orange, and now the front panel just says Thecus N5200, the WAN light is blinking green, the HDD lights are solid blue, and that's it. Can't access the web interface or the drive via my lan. I've not had any problems in 4 months of operation.

The manual states that when this LED is solid orange it means that the "system is being upgraded".

I have a 5 x 250GB RAID5 configuration.

Could someone please tell me what "system is being upgraded" or the orange DOM LED on means? Why did this occur? Is there something in my shutdown routine that is wrong?

TIA,

Rob

Thanks

Re: N5200Pro: meaning of orange DOM LED?

Update: well, none, really. 10 hours later, the orange LED is still on, and my N5200 is still not accessible. I'll leave it alone for a few more hours.

I'd love to hear from someone about this.

Rob

Registered+
    Thanks

Hi Rob

I would advise you to shut the system down via the web browser not just power it off with the button.

Send your post to yvon_lei@thecus.com

He works for thecus and will advise the required action

Thanks

Thank you for the suggestion. I just shot off an email to Yvon.

I did not know that using the power button, when the NAS is not in use, was not recommended. I could not find anything about this in the user's manual. I will start using the Web interface instead, or simply let the scheduled power off time to come around rather than shutting it down myself.

I hope Yvon will be able to solve this problem soon...

Do you - or does anyone - know what the orange DOM light on means?

Thanks,

Rob

Registered+
    Thanks

Hi
    To be honest I dont but have a look around in this forum an u may be able to find something

Have u powered it off since the orange led came on?

Registered+
    Thanks

Also have you tried to log in using the web browser u may find something happening in there

Yvon normally responds within 24hrs so hopefully your frustration will end soon!

Thanks

Thanks for the input.

The power button on the N5200PRO is not responsive, and I do not (yet) wish to pull the plug or try a reset....

I cannot access the N5200's Web interface - the page just never displays. I can ping the N5200PRO by IP address (I think - my router dynamically assigns the IP address, and I don't know for sure which IP is currently used), but not by name. The IP address is not shown in my router's DHCP cliens table.

I presume that if the RAID5 is being rebuild that it should be done soon enough, as it's now been 14 hours...

Rob

Thanks

Hi Rob,
    I'm having the same problem with my N5200. Orange top LED on all the time, system stops responding to web interface, but appears to be alive. Did you get a reply from Thecus yet? Could you please share your findings?
    Thanks in advance
    michal

Thanks

Michal,

I've send an email out to Yvon of Thecus Support, but I have not yet heard back from him. I realize he's currently on Holiday.

My reseller has forwarded my email describing the problem to the Canadian branch of Thecus suport, and I'm waiting to hear back from them. If they do not get back to me tomorrow morning, I'll call them.

I was unable to create a ticket on the US Thecus support site, as the login is apparently broken (I was able to create and confirm the account, but not log in).

Finally, I created a ticket on the Global Thecus support site. I got a reply a couple of hours ago, but it seemed to be a rushed, and not fully thought-out reply: I was just told to upgrade the firmware to 2.00.04 via a USB memory plugged directly into the NAS. As I'm already on 2.00.04, and I still don't know whether I should just "pull out the plug" to reboot the NAS, I'm asking them to confirm & clarify this process.

At this point, my N5200PRO has had this orange light on for 24 hours. Hopefully, tomorrow will be a better day.

Rob

Thanks

Whooo-hooo! All is good.

I spoke to a technician with Thecus Canada. He said that when shutting down, the system waits for an "all clear/not in use" signal before proceeding with the shutdown. When shutting down, the top LED (DOM) will be orange while it is waiting, and this usually takes less than 1 or 2 seconds... It is likely that for whatever reason, this signal was missed or never sent when I powered down the other night.

He told me to simply power off completely (pull plug or use the rear power switch), wait two minutes and power up. All worked perfectly, and the RAID5 was healthy on boot up.

He mentioned that he did not recommend a daily power on/off like I was doing, even if done through the power management module. He reasoning is that this increases the chance of something "bad" happening when the power state is flipped. He said that a single weekly reboot is plenty, particularly since the NAS has build-in reduced power states when not in use.

So all is good, and my prolem is solved. I hope that this info may help others in the future.

Rob

Thanks

Rob,
    Good for you!
    My situation was a bit worse, but is resolved as well. I powered down, unplugged and transported the NAS home (from my client, where it is used), powered up, and the orange LED was still on. As it was still on 1.00.03 firmware, I tried upgrading to 2.00.04 through the web interface, but no success. The NAS kept freezing. I decided to try the fw update using USB flash drive, and that worked! The only bad news - I had to recreate the RAID, so all the data on it was lost (not such a big tragedy, as it is used as redundant backup device).
    I am going to do some serious testing before I can trust it to be the only backup device...
    Cheers to all,
    michal

PS: is anybody SUCCESFULLY using the load balancing link aggregation?

Registered+
    Thanks

Hi mousyk,

load balancing didnt work for me. http://forums.hexus.net/thecus-care-...load+balancing

Registered+
    Thanks

as far as the load balancing... i have 3 n5200's & 1 n8800 all using load balancing.

make sure your WAN ip is on your network (ie 192.168.1.1 is your router so anything like it is fine, 192.168.1.22 etc)

then put your lan on 192.168.2.xxx ...this setup has worked for me (as far as i can tell since both link activity lights flash when xfering files)

if that not right, someone correct me.

Registered+
    Thanks

Hi redclawkefar,

Route is on 192.168.3.1. TheCus WAN is on 192.168.3.4.

The clients are between 192.168.3.10 - 192.168.3.50.

If i access TheCuss with the clients, both Ethernetports from the TheCus are transfer data. But the speed are only at 9 MB/s.

Regards, Valle

Registered+
    Thanks

...hmmm... seems i need to go back and recheck/retest my setup

Registered+
    Thanks

please tell me your results.

Thread Information