Thread: ntbackup or file copy locking up XP machine

Registered+
    Thanks

ntbackup or file copy locking up XP machine

I have the 5200br pro with 2.00.04 firmware. I can't copy or backup my computer to the 5200 with out it locking up my computer and stopping the internet service. I tried to copy 13GB of MP3s to the 5200 and I had to do it in three chunks to avoid locking up my XP machine. I have the 5200 mapped in my computer. 3 drive are RAID 5 and 2 are mirrored. I was copying to the mirrored drives for the backup which was supposed to be 40GB. The MP3s were going to the RAID 5. I have a target USB going to my mirrored drive and tried doing the backup with the USB hooked up, but it did the samething. I have a WD passport hooked up to my XP machine and it is backing up fine via USB. Incidently, I have a ticket in for all three of my computers locking up on bootup with the 5200 hooked up via USB.

I've been reading the forums for the last two days and I'll try to list my settings based off what other people have asked with the general same problem. I was interested in the SMB going offline thread, but it never was answered as far as I could tell.

I have SMB/CIFS running. I have FTP running, thanks to all the help from Peterfu. I didn't try the MP3s with FTP, but figured why try when I couldn't really do that for the backup. I have a router hooked up to a cable modem. I have a plain switch hooked up to my router. My computer is hooked up to router and the 5200 is hooked up to the switch. I'm running a 10/100 network. Someone mentioned having IP Sharing enabled, but I don't have anything hooked up to the LAN ports. Of course, I could be misunderstanding this since the manual may not be explaining IP Sharing correctly. DHCP is off on the WAN and LAN on the 5200. Everthing on my network is static IP including the 5200.

About the most I've managed to copy was about 9GB. I do have disk power management set at 30 minutes, but if you are copying shouldn't it keep spinning? Do they even spindown? It seems they do. I have heard them spin up when someone in the house has tried to access files. Oh, and I have the DHCP lease set to 99999 minutes, so that shouldn't be an issue.

If anybody can think of anything, let me know.

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: ntbackup or file copy locking up XP machine

I did try hooking straight up to the N5200 with CAT5 and it didn't timeout, but I only got 5MB/sec.

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: ntbackup or file copy locking up XP machine

Some computers try to boot off USB disk devices.
    If you dont have an OS on your N5200 your lock up makes sense.

I suspect if you put copy pendrivelinux to the //n5200 and run the install.bat you'll see linux booting up on those PC's that are "locking UP"

Thread Information