Thread: N299 general problems

Registered+
    Thanks

N299 general problems

Hi

Please help the N299 is takling over my life.

1) I can mass upload photos through the web publisher option but i cannot mass upload music or video files - i tried the drag and drop option and this does not work , any ideas????

2) I have a PS3 and the N299 shows on each many of the PS3 but none of the files show! only some music ones that show as "unsupported data" i am running the new N299 firmware .26 and the newest PS3 firmware! any one got any ideas?

3) I cannot map the network drive of the N299 - the N299 software does not show the device but i can get into it through the browser window maybe this is linked. I go to map the drive by typing in \\192.***.*.*\share and it states "the network path could not be found even when i browse for it i cannot find it. Again any ideas?

Sorry i am pretty sure this will not be the end but the user manual isnt very good or clear.

Regards

Paddy

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: N299 general problems

Hi,
    what about accessing without the "\share" part of the URL? Is the N299 visible in your network in the explorer?
    If you are trying to use the shares the N299 itself mentions with http ://192.*.*.*:49200/web/ushare.html, e. g.:

Share #1 :/web/raid/album

I can't use them as well, getting "404 not found". I can access them by using something like \\n299\album (UNC path).
    Is the n299 shown with "net view" in a command window?

Bye
    Peter

Registered+
    Thanks

Hi Peter

I am not sure how to check whether it is available in my network in explorer - if i EXPLORE it doesnt appear as another drive. However when i put the IP into windows explorer i do get access to the N299. But with the problems mentioned.

The N299 does not appear in the NET VIEW when i type it into the Run - CMD window (dos) when i type NET VIEW it states "system error 6118 has occured".

Paddy

Registered+
    Thanks

Hi,
    there might be a networking problem with your system regarding netbios. Have a look for possible causes and solutions at "ht tp : // w w w.chicagotech.net/systemerrors.h tm#System error 6118 has occurred The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available". Remove the spaces necessary for posting the URL here.
    Mapping the drive will not work if you can't see the n299 and its shares in your Microsoft Windows Network.

The problem with the unsupported data is a known one and mentioned in another thread. Hopefully Thecus is working on a fix.

Sorry, no clue about mass uploading. I simply copy music and video files to the corresponding folders. The web publisher might be only meant for photos not other files?

Bye
    Peter

Thanks

I can use Playstation 3 Firmware V2.2 to find the N299 ushare media server and I can browse and view the photos. However the avi and mp3 are shown as unsupported format and there is a DLNA protocol error shown on the PS3. The problem is with the DLNA and I think that I may have stumbled on the answer but it needs Thecus to update the ushare that 's in the firmware in the N299.

I have also found this information from the " ushare . geexbox . org " Web site for information for the GeeXboX uShare UPnP A/V Media Server GeeXboX uShare UPnP A/V Media Server ,

Latest release of uShare is 1.1a.

ChangeLog:

* Support for XboX 360 dashboard Fall Update (.avi and .divx now are supported)
    * DLNA support is not enabled by default, as not mandatory.
    * Some configure script fixes and better support for cross-compilation.
    * Fixed network interface discovery on MacOSX.
    * Much more complete DLNA support through external libdlna.
    * Telnet Control interface.
    * Support for FLAC and HDMOV files.
    * FreeBSD 64bit and MacOSX build fix.
    * Newly written configure script.

Compile uShare by running configure and then make. This should produce an executable ushare in the src subdirectory, which can be used right away. No extra files need to be installed.
    Example :

CFLAGS="-Os" ./configure --prefix=/usr
    make

If you want to enable DLNA support, run:

./configure --enable-dlna

This seems to suggest that the problem of ushare and the Sony PS3 is not a licensing problem but the DLNA should be enable during the program compile. Therefore could Yvon from Thecus consider if this could be put into the firmware for the N299 please. If this were to be true and successful, many PS3 owners will be most happy as there will be no more DLNA protocol error for the avi and mp3 which are shown as unsupported formats.

Thanks

After using the N299 for a day I am disillusioned with it and may very well send it back tomorrow for a refund. I paid £95 for it , based on what it can do , it is worth about £40.
    I used firmware 1:00:24 and 1.00:26

The shortcomings:-

1) Disks are permanently on and do not spin down
    2) The Gigabit LAN and WAN connection are theoretical only since the units CPU is way under power
    3) When unit is copying files or streaming video the CPU max out at 100% which means any browsing of files impossible at the same time (it certaining cannot copy files and stream video at the same time)
    4) The data copying speed is 2.6 mbytes and the CPU is running 100%
    5) External USB drive is recognised by the data on it is not shown
    6) attached printer is not recognised
    7) DLNA protocol issue with the ushare media server means it cannot be accessed by Playstation 3 or equivalent
    8) Bittorrent download is extremely slow even for a files that has 270 peers on line
    9) After copying files to a folder all the files in a folder has to be rescan manually by the uiser using the admin logon or else the remote client accessing the ushare media server cannot see the newq files which are added
    10) no ACL (Access Control List ) for the folders
    11) Firmware upgrade procedure requires the delete and re-creation of the RAID disk, this means moving the data off the RAID disk. This makes a firmware upgrade process extremely slow as the CPU on the unit is so under powered and needs another large external disk to back out the data. This procedure is unacceptable when it needs to be done.

What does work:-
    a) As a file storage for sharing files but it has severe limitation in terms of performance in concurrent use
    b) RAID

Thanks

Dear all,

How can I have access to the N299 through SSH or Telnet?

Thanks,

Doru

Thanks
    • arthurleung's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5E (Rampage Formula 0902)
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core2Quad Q9550 3.6Ghz 1.2V
      • Memory:
      • A-Data DDR2-800 2x2GB CL4
      • Storage:
      • 4x1TB WD1000FYPS @ RAID5 3Ware 9500S-8 / 3x 1TB Samsung Ecogreen F2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GeCube HD4870 512MB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair VX450
      • Case:
      • Antec P180
      • Operating System:
      • Windows Server 2008 Standard
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell Ultrasharp 2709W + 2001FP
      • Internet:
      • Be*Unlimited 20Mbps

With 3 Threads of FTP access I could get the N299 up to 8MB/s, but thats pretty much about it.
    With Windows copying, I generally sustain speed of 5.5MB/s

Bittorrent / Download manager never work due to poor non-english filename support.
    It only cost £95, it is not like you can buy ANY Dual disk NAS with less than that. (2 Single disk NAS will cost about the same)
    Workstation 1: Intel i7 950 @ 3.8Ghz / X58 / 12GB DDR3-1600 / HD4870 512MB / Antec P180
    Workstation 2: Intel C2Q Q9550 @ 3.6Ghz / X38 / 4GB DDR2-800 / 8400GS 512MB / Open Air
    Workstation 3: Intel Xeon X3350 @ 3.2Ghz / P35 / 4GB DDR2-800 / HD4770 512MB / Shuttle SP35P2
    HTPC: AMD Athlon X4 620 @ 2.6Ghz / 780G / 4GB DDR2-1000 / Antec Mini P180 White
    Mobile Workstation: Intel C2D T8300 @ 2.4Ghz / GM965 / 3GB DDR2-667 / DELL Inspiron 1525 / 6+6+9 Cell Battery

Display (Monitor): DELL Ultrasharp 2709W + DELL Ultrasharp 2001FP
    Display (Projector): Epson TW-3500 1080p
    Speakers: Creative Megaworks THX550 5.1
    Headphones: Etymotic hf2 / Ultimate Ears Triple.fi 10 Pro

Storage: 8x2TB Hitachi @ DELL PERC 6/i RAID6 / 13TB Non-RAID Across 12 HDDs
    Consoles: PS3 Slim 120GB / Xbox 360 Arcade 20GB / PS2

Thread Information