Thread: Ho Yeah (好野)~~~

Thanks

Ho Yeah (好野)~~~

Dear users,

One of my friend is willing to take my Thecus N299 for data storage only.
    So, finally i can sell it out even with half price.

And will change to another brand.

just an advise to others...
    一字記之曰: 走!

Good luck
    hoff

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: Ho Yeah (好野)~~~

Quote Originally Posted by october View Post
    Dear users,

One of my friend is willing to take my Thecus N299 for data storage only.
    So, finally i can sell it out even with half price.

And will change to another brand.

just an advise to others...
    一字記之曰: 走!

Good luck
    hoff

This means you are not happy with the product you bought?

I'm glad I'm not your friend... If you were not satisfied dump it to your friends you should be ashame!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jordi.c View Post
    This means you are not happy with the product you bought?

I'm glad I'm not your friend... If you were not satisfied dump it to your friends you should be ashame!
    yo jordi. no need to worry about that.
    i have asked my friend 10 times and already explained all the bad thing about this product.
    he still take it because he would like this to be his backup NAS.... as i said before, storage only.
    as you know there is no function/service provide by this .... well... say company....

about myself, i never think i am a good guy. my friends know me better than u do.

Registered+
    Thanks

Hi.
    This is in fact a worthless discussion and such can be fun.
    Myself, I own a N5200 and bought it, when one of my suppliers for PC-stuff recommend it, because it would be build around a Unix-like system. I wanted only that, in my home is no place for anything else and thus, I excluded some other recommendations that was considered earlier.
    Fact is, I wanted a NAS as redundant storage place for a lot of data, so I wanted raid5 and I wanted NFS and FTP services on that. N5200 delivers what I wanted, but not out of the box. Without those further modules, that gave a chance to access the busybox (the embedded Unix used in that NAS), it wouldn't have been usable for me.
    So, even with a working N5200, I wonder, why I bought it at all.
    Sure, the mechanics is a bit smaller than PC environment usually is, but that NAS is uncomfortably loud, so that it will never gather a place in a living room, where a small design may count.
    Even this, take a look here: http://www.pcengines.ch/alix1c.htm
    That is a small mini-PC that can boot from internal CF or USB device.
    It is not as fast as the one used in the N5200, but, it offers one PCI slot and thus could probably take a real hardware Raid-Controller. Thus, it could build a NAS easily.
    But that is also true for any other ordinary PC motherboard and there it is no big trouble to build a NAS with higher performance, such that media-server tasks could also been build in, as running a VLC-Server and such. Booting from USB is about common today, so it is really easy to operate any desired system in fast and save way and control the system raid and have it exported to the network.
    Personally, I would not take busybox, what doesn't mean I wouldn't like it, but it is no need anymore to use those reduced Unix because a fully operable one with NFS and SAMBA and FTP and TELNET and SSH fits on a 1GB stick and left out some space on it.
    So, to name it in a short: I cannot tell, why I once thought I would have to buy a NAS that somebody else build to meet someones needs, instead doing this myself in a way I want it. Thats unbelievable and I can just shake my head about my own ignorance.
    With that, I fully understand, when one is happy to get rid of others products.
    I know, my next NAS will be build myself for me, as I want it and as I need it.
    There is no reason (or is anyone here to know one single point) to buy a NAS from any factory in the world, including Thecus.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pit234a View Post
    There is no reason (or is anyone here to know one single point) to buy a NAS from any factory in the world, including Thecus.
    Of course there is one main reason.
    If You don't have the detailled know how to build a NAS for your own, then a NAS like the N5200 is an optimal solution - easy to setup, no knowledge needed of the underlying OS, easy to administrate.
    There are many people around who just want to use computers and don't care about internals.
    br
    Peter

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by peterfu View Post
    Of course there is one main reason.
    If You don't have the detailled know how to build a NAS for your own, then a NAS like the N5200 is an optimal solution - easy to setup, no knowledge needed of the underlying OS, easy to administrate.
    There are many people around who just want to use computers and don't care about internals.
    br
    Peter
    Well,
    that's true. What you say is, with my words, that people, being abused by their Operating Systems, don't know about how to build a NAS.
    When I will proceed this in a couple of months, I might give detailed information about what I am doing. Maybe, we are going to build a kind of Open-NAS, who knows?
    Well, the most important thing is the raid and that can be build without a lot of knowledge by following the instructions of a used hardware raid controller. I had one in use from Intel, that offered an own bios to be configured and did not need anything else to work. The PC would handle the raid as just one disk and at that time, I installed XP and GNU/Linux on it. That is no big thing and after you install any Operating System, you should been able to export folders as shares in your environment and thats it.
    WinNT offers already good handling to build different software raids and I also did it a couple of times with Linux. But, my latest PCs already offered raid capabilities build in on the motherboard. Here I could set raid0, 1, 5, 10 also in the bios and it works. The rest is just whatever you want have.
    If you need this, you could use hot-swap modules, you could use EIDE, SATA or SCSI, what ever you want and could pay. You can decide how to handle USB or whether you want build in a CD or DVD or burner, if you need a video-card or second Ethernet or whatever, all is handled by the Operating System of your choice and in a way you want it. No secrets there, no great knowledge needed.
    There are two points:
    -the device should boot without keyboard and mouse and monitor (modern PCs do that about ever, maybe, not ever with M$ systems, I am not sure).
    -to hold the raid clean for data, the system should boot from an other device (USB-Stick is possible about ever on modern PCs). I don't know, if this is possible with M$ systems.
    But you easy see, this two points are not a must. One could let a keyboard unused at the device or it could the OS install on a reserved partition on the raid, so basically, no larger problems even with M$.

I wouldn't use Microsoft System, so, when I build my NAS in the not to far future, I probably do not have a lot of information suitable for the rest of the world.
    By the way, that is all just basics and I am not well and up with this kind of stuff, no guru. Before I brought my N5200 to work, I had already different places in my network, where files are hosted and exported for different users in my environment. So, I have a Sat-Receiver and on its hard disk a collection of .mp3 files and this device runs busybox too (like N5200) and is a NFS-Server. What else is a NAS? (My receiver is FTP Server, HTTP-Server with Webif and SSH and TELNET server too). So, the one big different is to operate a raid controller and this is no problem and just done once at the beginning.
    OK, administration is perhaps a thing. But also that is mainly done one and can easy been handled without GUI. There are just a few commands to configure everything and a few textfiles to edit.

Lets wait, I will tell what I do and use when I start the project.

Thanks

Funny, I was going the different way.
    Build up my NAS with an old PC and Debian linux distribution - worked fine for some time (RAID5 for data with 4 discs, RAID1 for the OS with 2 small discs - FTP Server, File Server, Mediaserver). Then the technology changed to SATA and I ran out of space with my HD's - so I decided to try a commercial NAS with the possibility to put add ons on it - so I decided for the N5200.
    The old one is now used as backup device, but now without protection of the HD's.

We seems to have similar needs
    I have a SAT receiver with HD and network connection, I stream videos and music via hardware clients from the file server.

Wish You could luck with Your project and may be You keep us informed.

br
    Peter

Thread Information