Thread: NFS mount problem with 5200 and Ubuntu

Thanks

NFS mount problem with 5200 and Ubuntu

I get an error when trying to mount my Thecus 5200 (firmware 1.00.08) on my Ubuntu 8.04 machine.

When I try
    sudo mount 10.0.0.3:/raid/data/usbhdd /media/thecus
    I get the error
    mount.nfs: mount to NFS server 'rpcbind' failed: RPC Error: Program not registered

I have NFS enabled on the Thecus. What is wrong?

SSH works fine. Samba works fine. CIFS works fine. Only NFS doesn't work right.

Maybe it has something to do with the /app/etc/rc.d/ directory on the Thecus? If yes, how do I verify that it's configured correctly?

flamenkito

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: NFS mount problem with 5200 and Ubuntu

/app/etc/rc.d/ ?

I own N5200 and NFS wouldn't work at all out of the box with the same error. I posted it here and my solution too, that I finally found with the help of some friendly people.
    I had to establish a modul, something that exported Systemdirectories and than it worked. Later I had to install a further modul, to enable the use of an own /etc/exports instead the one that came from that module.
    To run NFS you need to start portmap, rps, (lockd), nfsd and mountd. You find this with the ps command on the thecus.
    showmount -e thecus will show the exports on it from your GNU and nmap -v thecus gives more information about all services provided, where thecus is the IP of your thecus.

Thanks

Wow. So, so enabling NFS via Thecus' web interface does nothing? If so, it's a firmware bug.

If you would be so kind as to point me to your original thread, I'll be happy to follow the instructions that folks gave to you.

And, if Thecus customer service will verify this is a bug, and give me a workaround, that would be appreciated too.

flamenkito

Thanks

nfsout of the box works fine on the 5200
    just enable it and set the anoumous so every one can access it
    if your in your own network it will not be aproblem

Thanks

NFS is already enabled.

Where do I set it to anonymous?

There is no such ability in "Network" > "NFS", or anywhere in "Storage" > "Folder".

Should I change something in "Accounts" > "Users", or "Accounts" > "Groups"?

Any help would be appreciated.

flamenkito

Thanks

The problem was nothing more than buggy firmware. I just upgraded the Thecus' firmware to 2.00.10 and was able to configure the nfs share by going to "Storage" > "Folder" and clicking "NFS" next to usbhdd and choosing "edit".

The old firmware didn't give the ability to edit the NFS permissions. The latest firmware does. So, I simply selected the ID mapping option for "All User on guest system will be mapped to anonymous user (nobody:nogroup) on NAS."

Presto! Now NFS actually works like it's supposed to.

I only wish I upgraded the firmware sooner. It would have saved me weeks of frustration. I'm somewhat annoyed with Thecus for having released such buggy firmware, but the feeling is drowned out by my relief of having it finally work as it should.

Take care, and thanks to all who attempted to help. I hope this posting will help others who find themselves in a similar situation.

flamenkito
    Last edited by flamenkito; 10-07-2008 at 07:15 AM.

Registered+
    Thanks

To anwer this:
    My Firmware at that time (and still is):

The answer to that was obviously found by my own searching, the only one post I could find was that one here:
    http://forums.hexus.net/thecus-care-...-directly.html
    where I decribe the problem and solution, but had something else in mind.

I may mix it up, because that time I had a discussion in a different forum just about not working NFS on a N5200 too.
    Already than, I thought it must be a firmware bug and got no info from thecus, even no: we know and work on it. I thought, I might be the only one in the whole wide world who wanted a Unix driven NAS performing NFS. I was pretty disappointed.

Because I had also a different meaning on how I wanted to write my /etc/export, I had to use modules and will not change the firmware on mine. It works as I wanted, when I am going to change something, I change to a complete different Operating System. I want Unix, because I want use it and not a Webif, that somebody thought to be easier to handle.

Thread Information