Thread: n5200 setup

Thanks

n5200 setup

I am having a bit of a problem with my n5200 and MVIX media player.

I have movies loaded on the n5200 as iso images and play them through the MViX player. Randomly during playback I get skips, the screen blacks out for a couple of seconds and then the movie resumes. Needless to say it is very annoying.

I was doing the same operation with an HP Mediaserver NAS and had no problem.

So my real question is, what is the optimal way to set up the network on the n5200?

My home network has all Gigabyte switches, the MViX and the n5200 are both connected to the same switch.

I am currently attempting IP sharing mode with load balance. Usually the movie playing is the only load on the NAS.

I can supply more details obviously, but I am just trying to find out if there is something I could be doing better.

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: n5200 setup

Quote Originally Posted by knabo View Post
    I am having a bit of a problem with my n5200 and MVIX media player.

I have movies loaded on the n5200 as iso images and play them through the MViX player. Randomly during playback I get skips, the screen blacks out for a couple of seconds and then the movie resumes. Needless to say it is very annoying.

I was doing the same operation with an HP Mediaserver NAS and had no problem.

So my real question is, what is the optimal way to set up the network on the n5200?

My home network has all Gigabyte switches, the MViX and the n5200 are both connected to the same switch.

I am currently attempting IP sharing mode with load balance. Usually the movie playing is the only load on the NAS.

I can supply more details obviously, but I am just trying to find out if there is something I could be doing better.
    I'm wondering if you could try the following test with the latest firmware upgrade for the N5200:

- try using 1 extracted ISO file for video streaming
    - enable the DNLA module available by default for this unit
    - try then streaming it from any appliance module or play it from
    any desktop pc via lan connection (not wireless)

Only reasons is to see if you still get the same symptoms your reporting.

In my own personal case, I've tested 2 streaming modules (at the same time) and ran both a wired and wireless stream and it never skipped a beat. I've tried both 10/100 network and gigabit - all worked fine for me.

I have yet to try the ISO image but I'm thinking that decoding would be required maybe. (just guessin)

Let me know what happens with this test...

Nibbles

Thanks

When I play the movie on the PC it is in a slightly different manner, I load the image onto a virtual DVD drive and play from that, I never have any issues in that respect.

The problem definately stems from network traffic. If I am saving a file to the Thecus at the same time I am streaming a movie I get the blackout periods. If I am saving two files from two different PC's and try to play a movie it hangs alltogether.

So this brings me back to my first question. On a gigabyte network, with windows and linux PC's, what is the optimal setup for the Thecus network and various functions?

Thanks

Have You a fixed IP adress for the N5200 or do You use DHCP?

Have You tried it also without IP sharing and load balance ?

I stream a lot of movies from the N5200 without load sharing and had never problems - bandwith on a GB network should be enough.

br
    Peter

Thread Information