Thread: Would nc command be the best method to force open a specific port on N5200

Registered+
    Thanks

Would nc command be the best method to force open a specific port on N5200

Hello Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone found the need to force open a specific port on their appliance. I wanted to force open certain specific ports in which I need open for certain uses. I noticed the "nc" command is available for use and believe the command is fairly simple to execute. I'm also assuming that if I want the port to be opened everytime on startup, that I would need to add an entry to rc.local file.

e.g. nc -l -p "xxxx" <---port number one would want to trigger for listen without quotes of course.

Would this be the best way to do it or does anyone have alternate suggestions for doing this.

Thanks
    Nibbles

Thanks

Re: Would nc command be the best method to force open a specific port on N5200

hmm. I realy don't understand the needs for that - if You run any software on the N5200 which listens on a specific port then it's open anyway, cause there is no firewall for blocking it.

Added : aah, have read now Your post about ventrilo and understand Your needs - but as I wrote above, if the server is running and listens on the port then You should be able to connect to it.

For adding some commands to the boot up procedure You need the META module.

br
    Peter

Thread Information