Thread: 4100+ fits these needs?

Thanks

4100+ fits these needs?

Hi.

I've read threads which suggest expanding RAID isn't possible on this version of Thecus' equipment, nor is multiple RAID, and I accept that.

I was wondering if either of the following possibilities exist instead:

1. All 4 drives are non-RAID volumes, just accessible as individual drives.

2. Having a single RAID volume declared for (say) 2 disks, and the other 2 slots as individual disk volumes without RAID.

What I'm trying to solve is having some centrally managed network storage, but also the possibility to target (and swap out) drives that contain 'ghost' images of PCs on the network (for taking backups and being able to rotate them / offsite them).

Wondering if this kit can handle this, or if I'm looking at either 2 external units to satisfy each need or a higher spec/cost unit that can do both.

Thanks.

Thanks

Re: 4100+ fits these needs?

Daer Sir,

Current the NAS almost base on JBOD/RAID volume, thus we need make the JBOD or RAID for sotrage application, if we need access each HDD individual, we need make the driver a as JBOD volume, current only N5200PRO and 1U4500 support the mulitp RAID function.

Thanks

Thank you for the information Yvon.

I'm not clear on the JBOD option answer. Could you please clarify which of the following you mean?

1. In theory this could be made to work, but that isn't how the products/software work at this time without alteration.

2. This configuration would work, but only with one of the multi-raid products like N5200PRO and 1U4500.

3. This configuration will work with the 4100+, by using JBOD setup to access the drives as individual volumes.

Sorry, I am just not very familiar with JBOD capability or limits. Thanks again.

Registered+
    Thanks

JBOD is a way to make your separate disks look like a single one disk.

N4100+, at least in its standard version, cannot handle either of your requirements at HDD level. However, would you accept to create logical units i.e. directories with appropriate access rights, you might have something which allows you to meet the HDD-like split you're after -without the physical split you wanted.

Anyway, trying to have a clear cut of binding between storage & HDD looks rather inconsistent with the use of RAID: it might indeed be more relevant to go for several small iSCSI units.

I think N4100PRO allows you to have the multi-RAID and remains cheaper than the N5200PRO and without the performances limits of N4100+.

Having said all that, on my N4100+, I have created a BACKUP directory where I have put all the files I need to re-generate our different PCs -a sub-directory per machine- rather than a ghost image. And on every PC I have created 2 partitions: one for normal access and one for recovery. That in addition to the backup of that has proven to be quite operational.

Patrice

Thread Information