Thread: N2050 USB does not operate at high-speed on Linux

Thanks

N2050 USB does not operate at high-speed on Linux

Have a problem where my new Thecus N2050 with two disks in Raid0 (or Raid1, it doesn't matter) will not register as a high-speed USB device under linux. Have tried kernels from 2.6.14 to 2.6.27.

If i remove the high speed driver (ehci-hcd) the USB1.1 controller picks it up and registers the device OK. However, i do get errors in /var/log/messages regarding bad blocks on the device. I have not yet put any data on the drive(s) so i have tried different file systems as well as re-partitioning and re-formating the disk(s).

I have two systems running linux and it does not work on either. I have not yet tried to use the eSata interface and i do not want to for the computer where i want to use my new thecus n 2050 only has high-speed usb connectors.

The device itself works just fine under windows xp and there it pops up OK.

Since other high-speed usb disks work on both Linux systems i do not think it is a problem of my usb controller but am starting to think that the thecus has some quirks to it that makes it useless for Linux 2.6

Is this verified by others ? Is there a solution to the problem??

kind regards,
    Beetle

Thanks

Re: N2050 USB does not operate at high-speed on Linux

I have some more insight if someone is interested. It seems that the N2050 has some quirks to it regarding timeouts. I would suggest a specialized firmware patch for it as suggested in attached email:

<snip>
    Hi,

I have also faced the similar kind of problem, and it is come by the shaky hardware. We have adjusted the burst signals of the bus and it start workin normally. Sometime the bursts are so small or higher so that it won't syncronizes with periperal to device and will gives such kind of the error. Please check the how to adjust the same with software.

The evolution which I have used, providing the register AHB for USB chipset which I have reseted to zero and working fine. I hope you have similar kind of registers check the specs of USBchipset which needs to reconfigure in your software, but please cross verify with system designer (H/W).

</snip>

Thread Information