Thread: N4100PRO Email Notifications

Thanks

N4100PRO Email Notifications

I am trying to set up email notification for my N4100PRO. After entering all of the information, and opening the SMTP port in my router - it still hangs for EVER before failing. Does anyone have an idea why this unit (among others) seems to take forever to realize its current situation and either return with an error message or proceed?

I love the features available and the fit/finish of the construction (and QUIET!) but the software seems unpredictable. I hope future revisions are more stable.

Keith

Thanks

Re: N4100PRO Email Notifications

Dear Sir,

If system get problem while send email notificaiton, at this sending moment please provide the CONF.BIN for us analysis possible for you.

SYSTEM->CONFIG MGMT->DOWNLOAD

http://esupport.thecus.com

Thanks

Smile Re: N4100PRO Email Notifications

Myself and a colleague have had a N4100+ for about 18 months and have so far not been able to get email notifications to work at all. I have my Thecus connected to my home network along with other devices that successfully provide email notifications such as my UPS.

When I run a port scanner on my UPS, it shows that port 80,21 and 25 are all open. When I run it on my Thecus N4100+ it shows only port 80 and 21. I'm no IT wizz but I thought that port 25 had to be open to allow SMTP messages? I have the details of my mail server etc setup on the Thecus the same as my UPS. Can anyone offer a suggestion? I must be doing something wrong as I haven't heard of anyone else with this problem.

Registered+
    Thanks

Just FYI, here are the details of the notification page of my N4100+:

Email Notification == Enable
    SMTP Server == my SMTP relay from my ISP and the SMTP Port == 25
    Auth Type == off -> I guess there is no need for identification as this is done via the phone line
    SMTP Account ID remains 'blank'
    Account Password remains 'blank'
    Sender's E-Mail Address the email address of my NAS
    Receivers' E-Mail Address is set to my own email address

Note that my NAS has its WAN address on the same LAN -physical & address- as the Internet modem/router. And there is no specific configuration in the router for the NAS.

The firmware of the N4100+ is: 2.00.06 but it worked OK with the previous 2.00.04.

And that's it.

Patrice

Thanks

Thanks for the details of the notification page. This confirms that I've got that part set up right at least.

I noticed that you said that your NAS has it's WAN address on the same LAN address as the router. When I've tried to set the WAN address to the same segment as the LAN, i get an error message saying that it can't exist on the same segment so I found I could give it an IP in any other segment. ie LAN IP of NAS = 192.168.0.76. WAN IP of NAS = 192.168.1.76. Does this make any sense? I haven't been able to find any info on the Thecus website on how to setup the WAN - even the manual I've got has left this out.

Also, i am running 2.00.05 - is there a 2.00.06?

Thanks for your help Patrice.

Registered+
    Thanks

Re. the LAN / WAN configuration, I would rather suggest to raise a ticket from TheCus support. Anyway, my NAS is configured as follows:
    i) WAN Port IP address is 172.18.1.200 and 172.18.1.1 is the one of my modem/router which accesses Internet. I have also included my 2 DNS servers of the Internet connection, you might get them from your ISP or from one of your router embedded web pages
    ii) LAN Port: 172.18.2.200

Note1: the WAN port is the upper port, do we agree?

Note 2: the WAN port is used for accessing the NAS from remote locations through the router, the LAN port is used for local connections. This configuration is a bit weird, to say the least, for a small network but it allows me to keep on my NAS and router switched on 24/7 whilst the rest is off out of office hours time.

In the N4100+, there is an IP Sharing Mode -WAN configuration web page. Are you sure this has been disabled? Besides, if nothing is connected on the LAN port, the IP address allocated to this port does not matter. Most network configuration should in fact use only the WAN port, so do not connect anything to the LAN port, tick off the IP Sharing Mode option and allocate any IP address not conflicting with the WAN one: in the N4100+ User Manual I have, it is clearly written that "The IP Segment of WAN and LAN should not overlap".

To ensure you choose non-overlapping addresses you could use: http://www.subnetmask.info/, from what you've written you only use class C addresses, you want a minimum of 2 sub-networks -> note the network mask you'll have then to use. Click the "List Networks" button to know what addresses you can use in the different sub-networks.

Re. the FW version, I indeed found there was an 2.0.0.6 release but keep in mind I have an N4100+, not a PRO. I just downloaded it from: www.thecus.com/Downloads, note that there has been official release AFAIK so I did that at my own risks.

Patrice
    Last edited by itlity; 25-11-2008 at 02:12 PM.

Thanks

Thumbs up Re: N4100PRO Email Notifications

Thanks again itlity for the info, I've only just had time to try it out and had success using the WAN port as you describe above and yes, it is the upper port. I used the subnet calculator and found that I had been using the wrong subnet mask.

Thanks also for the firmware link at thecus.com/Downloads. I noticed that 2.0.0.6 isn't listed when you go through the normal thecus.com support links yet it is at the link you provided which I haven't come across before. Note that the link is case sensitive (didn't think that was possible).
    Anyway, really appreciate your help sorting this out.

Bob.

Thread Information