Thread: N5200PRO RAID Migration Issue FW2.00.14

Thanks

N5200PRO RAID Migration Issue FW2.00.14

Yvon or anyone,

I am hoping you can help on this. I have searched many forums, google, your tech knowledge base, issued a trouble ticket and still have not fixed this issue.

I have 3 x 1.5Tb drives setup in a RAID5. This works great. No issues. The problem comes in when I try to add 2 x 1.5Tb drives and try to migrate from RAID5 -> RAID5 and choose one or two disks. I get an message that says it was starting ok, but almost immediately comes up with an error of Migration Fail. The log file states Migration Start [ RAID ] [ RAID5,Tray1,Tray2,Tray3 ] >> [ RAID5,Tray1,Tray2,Tray3,Tray4,Tray5 ] and [Migration Fail] Transfer RAID fail ...

The only way to recover is to hard boot.

Can someone please help. I need to add these disks to restore the rest of my data.

Thanks

Thanks

Re: N5200PRO RAID Migration Issue FW2.00.14

Dear Sir,

Please verify the firmware version on the 1.5TB HDD from STORAGE->DISKS->Firmware, and than download the CONF.BIN from SYSTEM->CONFIG MGMT->DOWNLOAD->CONF.BIN to http://esupport.thecus.com for us analysis for you.

Thanks

Funny you mention that. I already did this a week ago and don't have a response. Here is my trouble ticket # FNW-45782-685. FW is SD17 on the drives. Log and config had been attached. I even sent an email to follow up

Thanks

Dear Sir,

We will check this ticket FNW-45782-685 with Thecus US, Thecus HQ (http://esupport.thecus.com) ticket ID as like ABC-123456.
    And this 1.5TB HDD firmware is SD17, seem doesn't compatible with RAID or NAS device now, please contact with Seagate with the firmware for HDD first, and we have concern HDD firmware update would harm the data or not, thus please don't update the HDD firmware.

Thanks

Is there a 1.5Tb drive setup for the RAID on the N5200PRO that you would recommend?

BTW thank you very much for browsing these boards and answering everyone's questions.

Thanks

Blackroush,

I also tried to do a raid migration by adding in another disk. Mine also failed before it started. Now my array does not show and it will not let me shut it down as it says a critical process is executing.

Did a hard reset bring back your existing array?

I really want to hard reset it to see if my array comes back as I have tons of data on it. But I am also fearful that it will not.

Anxiously awaiting your response.

Thanks

I had to unplug the unit, wait, then let it restart. All of my data was safe. I did this a couple of times with the same good result, so you should be ok with a hard reset.
    Seagate has a new firmware and we have been in contact. I will post a reply to seagates new FW when they send it to me and I test it.

Thanks

Hi blackroush,

I have similar problem with N4100Pro and Seagate 1.5TB. What is your latest update?

Thanks

Well... The firmware upgrade to the hard discs allowed me to create the RAID I wanted, but the drives are not server grade drives. Three are reporting bad blocks.
    Make sure you have a good backup if you do this. It has been running for 30 days without issue, but you never know.

Thanks

Well, I had the same issue. Except I have N5200 v2.00.15 firmware and ST31500341AS SD1A firmware. Which is the latest for both. But I had 3 drives in RAID 5 and then tried to add 2 more. It took a leap of faith to hard reset, but after reading this thread I did and the data is back. I've opened a support ticket so we'll see what happens.

Thanks

Ok, now I have upgraded the firmware on all 5 drives to SD1B (I think this is the latest) and I still cannot add the two new drives to the array. Thecus support blames the drives and yet they are still listed on the N5200PRO HDD Compatibility List. Does anyone have a suggestion that might help me?

Thanks.

BTW, I had 4 IBM "Deathstar" pixie dust drives way back when. All 4 died but at least the RMA replacements they sent me worked fine (they are still running today). It seems like de ja vu all over again.
    Last edited by skeeball; 08-03-2009 at 03:33 AM.

Thread Information