Thread: Rebuilding N4100Pro after two warning disks

Thanks

Rebuilding N4100Pro after two warning disks

About two weeks ago I've got a Nas 4100Pro. I put 4 brand new Seagate 1.5TB in the box and configured the box in Raid 5.

Some days later, I've got a warning on disk 4 (and only on disk 4). I asked Thecus's support about what to do. Within some hours (we were on 2008/12/2) They answered that I should replace disk 4 and that it would take between 15 and 20 hours to rebuild the Raid 5 (2008/12/8).

As soon as I received a new Seagate 1.5 TB, I extracted Disk 4 (warning one) and put the new one in the emplacement 4.

As announced, Nas began to rebuild raid 5.

But 5 minutes later, I've got a new warning, this time on disk 1. Nas was bipping (long 12s bip). Raid Status balanced from degraded to recovering, and disk one didn't appear anymore. I shutted down the box.

What sould I do ?

Put disk 4 again in the Nas ? And get Data as they were before I replaced disk 4 (I could access data without any problem) ?

It is strange that 2 of 4 new seagate 1.5 To are damaged only a week after installation, and that the Nas has not detected second warning before rebuilding.

Six days ago I opened a ticket on this problem in Thecus's support (Helpdesk), but still didn't get any answer!!

It seems Thecus's helpdesk answers very simple questions (how to use the menu...), but keeps totally absent when the case is difficult. :-(((

Could somebody help me, please?

How can one trust a company which pretends to sell reliable systems but doesn't provide any support?

François
    Aphania
    Paris / France

Thanks

Re: Rebuilding N4100Pro after two warning disks

Dear Sir,

The RAID 5 allow lost 1 HDD only, if during recovering and another HDD damaged would make this RAID damaged or showing NA.
    If only 1 HDD out of RAID we just need via user's manual to rebuild the RAID, if more HDDs out of RAID we would need additional oprtation from esupport, thus would you please specify your ticket number for us tracking for you?
    And please power up N400PRO wihtout any HDD, after power up completed please insert HDD 1 by 1, since 1st HDD detected and than insert 2nd HDD and 3rd & 4th...
    After all HDD installed please provide the CONF.BIN from http://esupport.theucs.com for us analysis system condition.

Thanks

Thanks for this reply, I didn't believe that thecus would answer my question! My ticket has number 20081209:04 (attention I made a mistake, in the 1rst paragraph it's disk 4 and not disk 5, for N4100Pro has obviously only 4 disks, but I was particularly stressed when I opened this ticket). Next I will follow the process you describe.

Thanks

By which way should I send you my conf.bin file?

I cannot add a message to my ticket... !?

François

Thanks

Dear Sir,

The ticket 20081209:04 is Thcus EU, please sumbit the ticket to http://esupport.thecus.com for Thecus HQ reply to you directly.

Thanks

I have registered on esupport.thecus.com and opened a new ticket : # IAA-355512

Thanks

François

Thread Information